alternators

bonvo

ok my voltage reg took a shit and im done playing with them now i have searched and found icehouses 90 amp alt install but it didnt have to much info other then its an sr alt my questions are this

1) what alternator do i get that will bolt in i dont care if i have to change the pullys but i want ti to fit and ive heard the saturn alt requires making a top mount that and i dont know what saturn alt is the one to swap

2) what wiring do i need to do? i know that it has been said just make a jumper wire for the plug to the external regulator but what terminals

3) what is the basic price range for this swap

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok my voltage reg took a shit and im done playing with them now i have searched and found icehouses 90 amp alt install but it didnt have to much info other then its an sr alt my questions are this

1) what alternator do i get that will bolt in i dont care if i have to change the pullys but i want ti to fit and ive heard the saturn alt requires making a top mount that and i dont know what saturn alt is the one to swap

2) what wiring do i need to do? i know that it has been said just make a jumper wire for the plug to the external regulator but what terminals

3) what is the basic price range for this swap

What's the stock output? 38?

I swapped in an internally regulated Alt in my 620 awhile back. Bought one for a 81 510 & it puts out 60 amps. I had to buy a different belt,,smaller or bigger i forgot but if u want ill get you the part # & brand. I simply cut 2 wires off the plug that went to the voltage regulator & ran them down to the Alt. Your wires may be different colors but either way i can show you which 2 i cut. You may wanna do a search on the 510realm too, i wanna say theres a diagram showing what wires to cut & run to the alt.

i did the saturn alt swap in my goon and its very simple.. and trust me i hate electircal shit....

for the saturn alt swap u have to grind and grind and grind the bottom mount for the alt.. then u swap the pulleys so that the pully from the old alt is on the saturn one... and then u buy a turnbuckle from osh and use it for the top mount......

as for wiring i dont remember all the details... but yea thats basically it..... sorry if this isnt helpful i have been drinking :blink: anyways there are a bunch of right ups on here for this particular swap

ok time for beer pong :)

I swapped in an internally regulated Alt in my 620 awhile back. Bought one for a 81 510 & it puts out 60 amps. I had to buy a different belt,,smaller or bigger i forgot but if u want ill get you the part # & brand. I simply cut 2 wires off the plug that went to the voltage regulator & ran them down to the Alt. Your wires may be different colors but either way i can show you which 2 i cut. You may wanna do a search on the 510realm too, i wanna say theres a diagram showing what wires to cut & run to the alt.

sweet ill take you up on that i would like the part number new belt im not stressing to hard

i did the saturn alt swap in my goon and its very simple.. and trust me i hate electircal shit....

for the saturn alt swap u have to grind and grind and grind the bottom mount for the alt.. then u swap the pulleys so that the pully from the old alt is on the saturn one... and then u buy a turnbuckle from osh and use it for the top mount......

as for wiring i dont remember all the details... but yea thats basically it..... sorry if this isnt helpful i have been drinking :blink: anyways there are a bunch of right ups on here for this particular swap

ok time for beer pong :)

do you have pictures? i know there are write ups on here but even after searching i cant find any i rack it up to the forum software change

I just installed a 2004 ka24de frontier alternator on my car. It is the newest application I could find that still used a v-belt. Bolts right in, aside from needing to get a longer lower bolt(you may also have to drill out the lower mount to 10mm if you haven't already done that). As for wiring I made a new charge harness from the alt to the starter, including fusible links, and made an adapter harness for the alt plug. I also made the regulator jumper harness. It is a 70 amp alternator, which is plenty for me. It is also an internal fan alt, which I think cleans up the engine compartment over an external fan.

The alt looks just like the supposed "90 amp" that icehouse posted in his how to thread. As for the wiring, it is a "t" connector (female) on one end and the new style alt connector on the other, about four inches long maybe. The regulator jumper is a female 6-pin regulator connector with two jumper wires. This makes for complete plug and play except for the new charge harness. All of the connectors can be bought at http://www.vintageconnections.com/ I do have a blurry photo of the harnesses made, but no way of posting them.