My l 20 seized

bigjoe619

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

86 mm flattops. I doubt the L20b will take a 4mm overbore.

How the hell does an oil pump fail? Sure it's seized?

Why didn't you stop when the little red light came on?

The Nissan oil pressure switch is set for 5-8 lbs.

Maybe no oil?

Edited by datzenmike

Any more info on what seized? Abrupt stop, slow declining, with a gut wrenching noise? Oil pump failure is rare. I know silicone bits can kill one, like if you silicone the oil pump gasket (don't). But even with severely low oil pressue, an L can last forever.

However, overheating or improper bore to piston clearance can certainly lead to failure.

the pistons are chevy vega flat tops and the car had and still has oil there was a tapping sound as i got off the free way then it just shut off.. the starter wont turn it and i had a partner pull me home. while he was pulling me i put the tranny in second and let the clutch out and the back wheels locked up and the motor still wont turn.. i will pull it out and see what is messed up it s probably bored too much the temp guage said it was running around 200 degrees the wire was off the oil sending unit i didnt know

the cam and top end are good, i just pulled the valve cover , put a 3/4 socket on the bolt that holds the cam sprocket and it moved a little with the tension of the timing chain, so i pulled the sprocket off and moved the cam back and fourth but not rotating past the lobes of the cam that it was already sitting at. so hopefully it is just a bearing i will find out in the next couple days

this is a long shot, but.... check the starter. I thought I had a dead battery, so I tried to push start it, and it just skidded and bucked! turns out that the starter bolts came loose and the starter gear was wedged against the flywheel, not allowing it to turn. Check that for shiggles.

....the wire was off the oil sending unit i didnt know

When you turn the ignition on the red oil pressure warning light in the dash lights up to show the bulb/system is working. Too bad you missed that, maybe could have saved the motor.

you have to use a nap z head gasket and cut the front of the gasket off where it goes on the timing chain cover and use a l series the front of a l series gasket... the compression is high but runs very well.. a pair of 44mm mikunis and a A87 head with a big cam the power is really good for a l series... i take all the blame i should have hooked up my guages instead of tryen to drive it.. o well a few more weeks and it will be back alive

• 2 weeks later...