how to ????

620shorty

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I don't think there are any kits or directions out there. I doubt anyone re-engineers anything when doing that, it's just a matter of being familiar with the tools needed and much careful planning and math with your cuts. If you aren't confident in your ability probably do not attempt it. And it does look kinda gay IMO

Wow so quick to go 5th grade on us....gay? is that really neccesary ??

For the record it is possible but there is'nt any "kit" available. I did mine a few years ago in my driveway with a sawzall, die grinder, 4 inch grinder & a welder. Lots of pics on how i did it in my thread in the trucks section. Lemme know & i can walk you through the process & or give you advice.

I did lots of them in the late 80's - early 90's (mostly Ratical Tops) and I still think they are cool. If you do decide to do one, my advice is take your time, do not rush through it at all. Otherwise you will have all kinds of leaks, lol.

I have talked with this guy I think he bought the setupfrom ratical tops so by useing this setup you would be using a proven product .

Edited by slam_dat_sun
added to post
yep was a big thing back in the day, Dodge even sold a Dakota rag top for a few years.

I think a dropped 620 with the bed hooks shaved, a bed cover, and the top cut off looks clean if done right.

Don't let anyone tell you something you want to do is wrong. it's your truck, it has to make you happy.

Yeah dodge made a sharp little dakota convertible, I think all of them was 4x4's wasn't they ?

I have owned 3 vert top 620s and I own one right now. And I live in Seattle. Lots of people own convertibles in Seattle. It doesnt rain 365 up here people....But as for the vert top. I used Ratical kits back in the late 80s and early 90s. I know that " Airbagit.com" shows a kit for a 620 pickup. you may want to contact them and see if it is still available. If that doesnt pant out,, do check on Pacific Coast blog PCD74progress/buildup on this forum in this section. He made a all metal top without a kit and he does and step by step how to on it. And I know Mark and he knows his shit. But as for the haters...to each their own, I like the verts, I get comments all the time about it...some good , some bad, but what the hell its my truck... I dropped some pics to show vert tops...the blue truck mine now, the red a buddies with the top on to see how they look with th e kits, the add from Airbagit, and my old primered 620 wiith the top off...best of luck and have fun with it...

IMG_1039-2.jpg

Untitled-3-1.jpg

RAT-CV8293-2T.jpg

lonbehold1.jpg

Edited by 1lo620
I have owned 3 vert top 620s and I own one right now. And I live in Seattle. Lots of people own convertibles in Seattle ... the red a buddies with the top on to see how they look with th e kits, the add from Airbagit, and my old primered 620 wiith the top off...best of luck and have fun with it...

Untitled-3-1.jpg

Wow, that red 620 looks like the one I had in 1990. A guy down the street did the conversion and other than a slight leak when it rained, it was a fun truck. I really wouldn't mind getting another.

IMO the hardtop conversion looks much cleaner than any soft top does.

Thanks 1lo620. Now that is a cool ass truck, a (walk through, dump bed, vert, with a canopy/w huge ragtop ), so cool!. The only thing that would make it cooler, is if it had no windows in the shell and 3 pump double diamond rack on it, lol.

So cool!

IMG_1039-2.jpg

We did one similar back in the day that we welded the doors shut and completely shaved them., Then to get in, you would just tilt the bed and walk through between the seats.

Edited by Creepy Cruiser

Slam- good work diggin out that info. Good to know the kits are still out there.

Dave- TY for the love. The main reason i cut mine is that it rains here 5 days a year so it's a win-win :cool:

There deffinately pro's & con's of not having a roof but overall i love it.

I have owned 3 vert top 620s and I own one right now. And I live in Seattle. Lots of people own convertibles in Seattle. It doesnt rain 365 up here people....But as for the vert top. I used Ratical kits back in the late 80s and early 90s. I know that " Airbagit.com" shows a kit for a 620 pickup. you may want to contact them and see if it is still available. If that doesnt pant out,, do check on Pacific Coast blog PCD74progress/buildup on this forum in this section. He made a all metal top without a kit and he does and step by step how to on it. And I know Mark and he knows his shit. But as for the haters...to each their own, I like the verts, I get comments all the time about it...some good , some bad, but what the hell its my truck... I dropped some pics to show vert tops...the blue truck mine now, the red a buddies with the top on to see how they look with th e kits, the add from Airbagit, and my old primered 620 wiith the top off...best of luck and have fun with it...

Airbagit.com does indeed carry a vert top but they get it from this guy http://www.slidingragtops.com/60.html they order bulk from him and mark it up $50 more so it's your choice spend $399.95 with airbagit.com <<<<<<< they are con artist they ripped me off for $25 or you can buy direct from http://www.slidingragtops.com/60.html and buy it for $349.99 . If yall would like to hear how they ripped me off here we go in truckin magazine they advertised tail light fillers for my 1990 silverado for $25 so I went to there store front in mesa AZ to buy a set and they brought my fillers to the counter the guy said $49.99 . So I showed him the ad in Truckin magazine showing they was $25 and he oh that's a misprint so I called him a fagot and paid $49.99 and said I will never buy nothing else from airbagit.com again . So I do not like them people to much due to them screwing me over like that .

Oh and it is no sweat on locating the source, I already had all the info and it was easy for me to locate them again .