'77 280 parts into a '78 510 wagon?

Carter?

I own a 1978 510 wagon and have recently been given access to a friends '77 280. it is a project he started years ago and has realized it will never see completion so he is basically parting it out and giving me first dibs.

What are the chances that an engine/tranny swap will be hassle free?

Any input would be very welcomed as I am a complete newbie to wrenching.

Thanks all.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a 1978 510 wagon and have recently been given access to a friends '77 280. it is a project he started years ago and has realized it will never see completion so he is basically parting it out and giving me first dibs.

What are the chances that an engine/tranny swap will be hassle free?

Any input would be very welcomed as I am a complete newbie to wrenching.

Thanks all.

Forget the motor! It's two clyinders too long.

The first 5 speed came out in '77 so see if it has one. I think the A10 used a short tranny so it might not 'drop in' but if free then it just costs the driveshaft shortening.

The rims should fit. Alternator. Check the front disc brakes for fit. Fuel pump.

Some Welding Required :lol: , take a look at the old Nissan Skylines ( I mean the early 70's versions ) than google SR20det and see how close the swap is with the modern 4 cylinder in the 510's :cool: Your best bet for power is an SR20DET Swap ( If you have the confidence , ability , and tools than go for it ! ) But again I have never owned a 510 or datsun truck only 3 240z's !!! ( I am waiting for a good deal on a 510 right now :blink: )

If the 280 is complete , can you build/restore it ? or keep both cars ? :cool:

Victoria B.C. Canada

You should always fill out your profile location. Vic is just down island from me, in fact I will be in Duncan today. When selling or asking advice, sometimes there is someone close that can help or lend a hand. There might be someone near you that might need that tanny and not know you are nearby.

Find out if it's got 4 or 5 spd. Take pictures.

DTP: This is an A10 and not the older PL510 so not as well documented.

The 510 uses the short transmission. The Z one is too long.

There aren't a lot of parts from S30 that'll fit the late 510.

* If yours has an L-series engine, some of the engine parts will fit.

* I think the steering wheel has the right splines to fit the late 510

* If the S30 still has the two-piece jack handle and wheel chocks those are always handy.

* The seats are the right size, just use an adapter plate to fit into the 510

The 510 uses the short transmission. The Z one is too long.

There aren't a lot of parts from S30 that'll fit the late 510.

Well there you go... find a dogleg. It's basically a 'drop in'. It was an option on the A10

Will the Z strut trick work?? I don't know alot about the late HL510's but I do like the looks of the sedan and wagon.

or is it only ZX struts that work.:confused:

Only the ZX struts will work on the PL510. Don't know about the A10, may not need them, possibly the Z or ZX calipers/rotor will bolt on???? Don't know. I think Jason said the larger calipers will fit my older 710 so why not an A10??? I don't know.

Edited by datzenmike