Tired of Old wiring

RisingSon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh .. Wiring .. im neck deep in the shit now. There are a couple different routes you can go when building a new harness for your dime.. It Depends on if you want to replace everything or merely replace all of the old rotted wire and integrate it into the factory fuse box, switches, connectors ect. If you are going to replace everything id go with a painless wiring kit or something similar. If you are going to integrate the new wire to the factory equipment you just want to make sure you use quality wire not that pvc coated junk. Get some good TXL or better wire. its a pain in the ass to rewire a car.. might as well do it right so you dont have to do it again... the only other advise I can give you is to invest into a good power probe. it will save you a ton of time and headscratching.

Whatever you do, definitely sit down with a wiring diagram, and go over it thourougly before you start. Understanding how the circuits work will allow you to decide if they need to be modified when you build the new harness. For example, the use of a relay for the headlights, upgrading the wire gauge to the headlights, etc. Some circuits could benefit for larger wires, some don't. Adding larger wires to unnecessary circuits will just make the harness larger and less manageable. The other problem I forsee is that you will run out of wire colors very quickly, making your new harness full of multiple circuits with the same wire color. This is why the factory uses wire stripes. The other problem you may run into will be trying to wire in components that dont have replaceable connectors, which will be a hassle to splice into cleanly. If you do not feel comfortable with electrical, I suggest you just upgrade the necessary circuits, like headlights for example, and leave the rest alone. Using those replacement connectors I was able to make a positive side relay harness that just plugs into the factory harness and bolts onto battery B+. No more than a couple bucks in parts, looks clean, installs easily, can be removed and hooked back up factory, and best of all headlamp current doesn't flow through the switch anymore. The headlamp relay harness is just an example, but with the proper connectors, you can make some nice plugin harnesses that work well, and look good at the same time and don't require you to make a new harness.