Bob72gts' Junkers

bob72gts

Hey guys long time no post.

A couple cars have left and a couple more have shown up. The tan work truck may be going to a new home but I think he wants it with my good standard bed so the utility box might become a trailer.

Just got this running and registered today.

085.jpg[/img]

083.jpg[/img]

084.jpg[/img]

I know that is not a Datsun and for that I apologize, but at least it is an old Japanese rear-driver. EPA estimate for this thing is 38 city and 52 highway. Screw a Prius :fu:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I posted anything on my thread. So here is an update.

Before........

042.jpg

Had a 2" drop on it with the 16" Z71s. Been driving it like that for 15 years and decided it was time for a change.

So....... MORE LOWER!

015-5.jpg

Now it's a 4" drop.

Then I went and mounted up my new treads.

016-5.jpg

205/50 up front and 225/50 out back. I think it looks pretty sexy. What y'all think?

I also recently negotiated a deal for 2 more 620 KCs.

I know pics or it didn't happen, but the pics are gonna have to wait.

The first one is a 79 with an L18 and a 5 speed. IT'S A 4X4!!!! Has a little rot in the rockers but not too bad, and I have to take a rear end with me when I go to pick it up since the one for this truck is in pieces laying on the ground behind it.

The second is a 77 with an L20b and a 4 speed. This one is a 2 wheel drive and has been rolled. I plan to use the rockers from this truck to fix the 4x4 then I will have a running driving 77 KC frame laying around. The frame should find it's way under my 521 KC Dually Flatbed project

Welcome back Bob. I like the yellow 620 KC. Old school scallops & low. Did you ever meet up with Steroid [Mike] from Bullhead ?

I have talked to him on the phone,but have not met him.

I painted the scallops on it back in 95' or 96' then I repainted them in 01'. They used to be purple with a silver inset, Damn Sunfade. I will be swapping out alot of sheetmetal pretty soon and I am probably going back to single color yellow again.

Thinking about going another inch on the drop, tucking about half of the sidewall in the rear would look good. But, I also like the "sport" look it has right now and it is already at the ragged edge of driveability for this part of the world on a static drop and I refuse to bag this truck. Another truck another day will have bags just not this one

2eDeYe' date='09 February 2011 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1297312023' post='425375']

The newer chevy wheels look good on there :cool:

Thank you, they were actually my second choice. I had a set of Titans on it for about a day once. Being a disc brake truck they wouldn't tuck and I couldn't leave it at 2" drop on 18s

Picked up the 2wd rollover today. Lots of good parts, and lots of junk parts too. Out of all 6 of my 620s this one probably has the best tailgate.

rolloverand4x4004.jpg

rolloverand4x4003.jpg

rolloverand4x4002.jpg

rolloverand4x4001.jpg

Gonna get her runnin again then pull the body off. This will be the frame and drivetrain that I use for my 521 KC.

The body is pretty hammered, but there may still be a roadster project in there somewhere.

Got a better look at the 4x4 today. First the good.

L18 with a webber, 5 speed, divorced transfercase with fixed flanges at both outputs, SOA front and rear, crossover steering.

rolloverand4x4012.jpg

rolloverand4x4005.jpg

rolloverand4x4006.jpg

rolloverand4x4007.jpg

rolloverand4x4010.jpg

And now the bad.

Rockers and floor are worse than I had thought. MUCH WORSE. I will either be swapping this roof onto the rollover to put back on this frame or I need to find another cab. Either way it is a cab swap. Just a whole lot less welding and body work if I can find a decent one.

Bob does the red rollover have the other 2 Blazer rims [if thats what they are] ??

Ill be visiting Steroid March 14 & 15...maybe we could stop by & say hey :cool:

I think you mean the rears, right? Those were 15" SPLIT rims the tire that had air in it was a B.F. Goodrich mobile home tire and it had cracks in the side wall you could stick coins into. I swapped on my rollers that you can see laying on the ground in the pics. Then I left the splits in the POs yard. I want to be as far as possible from those rims :D

Hanging out on the 14th or 15th sounds great. You guys can check out my collection of crap and we'll tip up a few beers.

Minor update on the rollover.... dropped a battery into it and sprayed some starting fluid into the carb. That ugly bitch is a runner :D

Just realized that I haven't posted any pics of the 521s. Here ya go.

This is the one that will be the Main part of the truck.

521s007.jpg

This will be the KC and dually bedsides.

521s001.jpg

The red trucks dash is all hacked to shit.

521s010.jpg

But the blue one is nice.

521s011.jpg

The red one has a "fresh rebuild" L16 in it. We shall see about that.

521s013.jpg

Got a set of these at a yard sale the other day. They fit 15" rims and leave the lip of the rim visible.

521s002.jpg

Hi Bob,

Nevtony and I have to get down there one day!! Tony actually lived in LHC and also Parker for a while. Why We all haven't met is beyond Me. Tony moved to Bullhead last September and it's good to have an inspirational 620 partner around!! Is Your phone number the same that You gave Me a while back? If so, I'll try to call and get down there. I am pretty busy now prior to Mark's arrival. More on that later.

Hi Bob,

Nevtony and I have to get down there one day!! Tony actually lived in LHC and also Parker for a while. Why We all haven't met is beyond Me. Tony moved to Bullhead last September and it's good to have an inspirational 620 partner around!! Is Your phone number the same that You gave Me a while back? If so, I'll try to call and get down there. I am pretty busy now prior to Mark's arrival. More on that later.

909 519 9799 see you soon

• 1 month later...

Minor update.

Got the 4x4 running yesterday. When one of the POs put the L18 in this thing they left the single point distributor attatched and tried to hook up the points trigger wire to the stock electronic ignititon wiring harness. PO fail = no spark. I borrowed the correct distributor from one of my other trucks and it fires right up.............

On three cylinders. The head gasket is blown to the outside of the block on cylinder 4. When I get time I will pull the head and inspect everything. Hopefully I will be able to get away with just the headgasket for now.

On a related note I need a non matchbox electronic distributor to put back into my other truck. 77 CA emissions and 78 all are the only places I have seen this distributor maybe you have one????

Bob, Steroid may have one if not... i have a points dist. verified working you can have free.

Thanks but since the truck is wired for electronic and it is working I have to wait and find the correct distributor. I don't want to make any unnecessary mods. I already have my hands full with the necessary ones :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Bob,

Are You coming up to BHC for the bike run this weekend? I might have some time to visit if You do.

I'm in Phoenix until Tues or Wed next week, possibly later. Helping my brother with some projects including a cosmetic restore on his pontoon boat.

We really need to get together some time and check out each others projects. I think that I am going to have to sell my white truck. Do you know anyone who would be interested?

Bob on a sidenote im relocating my family to BHC in a few weeks sso we'll be alot closer :cool: Steroid & myself could hop in either boat [we both own a Datsun boat] & come to your place for a visit.

SWEET! I wanted one of those boats. Knowing people who have them is the next best thing. Looks like I should get my boat running again. Gonna need a 460 to get it back on the water.

Picked up a cab for my 4x4 resto project yesterday from Z train. It is or was a 79 KC Deluxe trim with dealer air. Now it is an organ donor.

001-4.jpg

002-1.jpg

The core support and left inner fender are wrinkled from a crash once upon a time. The core support doesn't look like it got hit that hard but the damage goes all the way back to the fire wall and even tweaked the A pillar a little. Must have been in the SWEET SPOT.

Gonna cut off the damaged front sheetmetal and see if I can jack the cab back into shape.

If succesful I have my new cab for the 4x4 resto, if not then I have a great start on my 620KC Krawler project that has been rattling around in my head for a couple years. Or maybe the Pre Runner project, or another roadster, or maybe just a date with a Sawzall.

Noticed a couple of things about the new parts truck today.

It has a pair of front inner fender liners that are in good shape.

013-6.jpg

012-7.jpg

008-6.jpg

This is only the second set that I have ever seen. The first is on my 4x4. They are molded black plastic. The outside clips onto the fender lip and on the inside they mount using screws and clips in factory holes. Don't know if these are aftermarket, a factory option, or standard equipment. But out of the 14 or 15 620s I have owned in the past 17 years or the countless junkyard trips, these are the only ones I have seen.

Next is the interior, BLUE. I know what you are thinking, there is nothing odd about a white 620 with blue interior, and I agree. My 77 has a blue bench seat and blue door panels, but..........

018-5.jpg

020-2.jpg

023-4.jpg

025-3.jpg

Blue seat belts? Are these rare? Unfortunately both are frayed, although not as bad as the ones in my yellow 79.

And.......

021-4.jpg

Even the pinch moulding is blue.

One last thing, while I was looking under the dash I found a small piece of what I believe was the original blue carpet.

026-2.jpg

If anybody out there is doing a restore on a blue interior and needs to know what color the carpet is supposed to be, there you go.