Trying to price a 280Z, need help

I found a Z locally through Craigslist and went to check it out. (after a lengthy back and forth email chat with the owner)

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/1462061528.html

Seeing the car in person revealed a whole lot more than the pictures or conversation did. So I began picking the car apart, looking more at what was wrong than what was right.

-Rear wheel arches had seen better days, several repairs with glass and still rusty. Cratered in spots.

-turn signals were dead. Could be the switch assembly, could be the relay.

-holes in passenger footwell (wet carpet, no mildew smell)

-fusible link boxes weren't bolted in, basically flopping around the engine bay

-hoodlatch was mangled, barely opened the hood

-leaking fuelline near gastank

-wiper motors are shot

-passenger door mechanisms don't work

-dead OE radio, no antenna

-right fender was held on with screws and looked like it had been tackwelded to the body at some point.

the car looked fairly solid. No rot in the engine compartment (battery tray), no rot under the hatch or on the hatch. No rot in the spare tire well. It looks good but it looks like it has seen a lot of care, but more use than that. Paint's not oxidized, and shines where it's not rusty or chipped, and it actually has all it's chrome intact. Seems like the car sat before it was put back into use and now it's starting to nickel and dime the current owner.

She outlined the the work she did...New tires, shocks, springs, voltage regulator, alternator, tires.

All that said, she wants $3000 for it. I don't believe it's worth it. I think it's worth 1000$ max. In all likely hood I'll pass this one up, but I'd like to have some help trying to haggle a better deal out of the car. At worse, I keep looking....but I would really like to take this car home and know I've gotten a fair deal.

Any ideas?

--ruster

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeeeeeeeh...

Well, it all depends on you. I personally have difficulty offering her 1000 of my easily earned dollars for it, if I'd discovered the things that you have. If it were me, I'd pass and wait for a better one to come along... but that's just my own opinion.

Most of that stuff is just cosmetic, but for $3k, I'd need it a little more solid than that.

Edited by MicroMachinery

Most cars that are around 30 years old and look like that are worth about $50. Any more than that and you're paying too much. For 3k you could fly to Arizona and drive back a rust-free Z car that was probably in much better condition.

I agree based what what I have read and seen there its 600-1k max. Your fairly close to me so I can say with certainly you can do WAY better. Drop me a PM and I'll help you out.

Caught this on the way out:) Thanks for the help, guys. I'll drop her a line tonight (but it looks like I'll pass). BTW 72240z, PM sent.

--ruster

Don't buy that rusty parts car. Better to spend more money for a solid car.

That is a $300-$500 car tops. Even on the east coast.

Be patient. One will come your way.

Did you check this one out? It is close to you too.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/1465874538.html

Yeah... That's JC's car. Ran into him last summer when he was still in the middle of body work and had just finished dropping the motor. That car was a serious ground up restoration. I can't believe he's selling it. During lunch today I'll head to the bank to see how much I've got to play with....$2000 was my max since I didn't get a bonus from the job and I sold my 300ZX.

ruster