A12A into 68 520

Cahoon520

I have been searching for a decent engine that would easily replace my j13 for just about a year now, but I can't find any thing. Today I found a 1981 210 with an a12a with a 4 speed. I few questions that I hope ya all can help me with.

1. Is the A12 a good engine?

2. Has anyone ever done a A-J swap

3. Will this engine have enough power(I not looking for high performance)

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should fit no problems just modify the engine mounts. Use the A12A tranmission. The drive shaft might even fit.

It will probably have about the same torque and a bit more power than the J13. But not much more (1237 cc).

I would go with an A14 or A15 unless the A12A is a bargain. Otherwise it will (still) be pretty slow.

There was a beautiful silver NL320 sold on ebay a year or two ago in Phoenix, that had an A15 with air conditioner installed. They did a beautiful job. I plan on putting one into one of my NL320s, the problem I had was the fact that the 210 5 speed tranny is now worth 500 to 700 dollars due to it's use as the rivergate MG tranny. I could find A15s all over the place, but the tranny was gone, and I really wanted a 5 speed. I had a 1980 210 back in my college days, had a blast with it, and consider that engine and tranny to be very mechanically sound.

Thanks guys

the owner of the car want $300 for it but I think that is a little to high.

I datsun engines around here are just about imposible to find so I think this might just be the best bet right now. I just want to drive this truck.

What would a fair price to pay for this car?

An A-series would be a great swap - probably the easiest one possible. I have to agree with ggzilla. The A12A may not give much of a performance improvement. At $300 the price is fair and once the swap is done you could always keep an eye out for an A14 or A15 to toss in later.