Yo Guys My B210GX

So I have a pretty sweet ride here,, wondering what you guys think of it in quality and what it might be worth,, Ill post up pics tomorrow,, bout 140,000, was obtained from the son of original owner.. just missing rear bumper caps and the window gaskets are old as hell.. I got passenger and driver door window seals taken care of but the rest will be a lil harder.. might not even worry about it, cuz I want to do this swap cheap as possible.. and just driver her..;)

I have been driving it for more than a year put in new radiator, valve job head set, do all my own work.. so I like small rides lol ,

but the rings are toast and it sucks oil down like a chaser for the gas..

So Im wanting to put in a 200 240 sx with automatic and make this baby a old school sleeper heheheh..

Im going to be searching around in here, but just wanted to start it off now,, get some pics up 2marow.. here is one without the new tires and original honeycomb hub caps.. and my hood ornament that cost 5 times more than my car, lol

7364.jpg

catch you guys lata..

Thx

Edited by crip
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi that has potential. The GX was the fancy trim package, probably has a tachometer?

Stick an L20B in for an easy swap. You can get the motor & crossmember, auto and driveshaft out of a 1978-1979 Datsun 510 station wagon.

For the side window seals, try a 1979-1982 Datsun 210, I used those in my B110 and they seal up nice, just had to cut a little to fit them.

Thx Zilla but I dont know what is fancy about my trim. .

Ya the L20 is starting to sound like a cool swap n all about eaSY TOO,,

No tach in this bad boy,, its a auto now.. and Im in a wheelchair so I cant drive a stick ,, easily any ways heheh

so thats why Im going for auto trany with my swap.... does the 510 auto tranny have 4 or 3 speed.. I kinda like the idea of an over drive,.. but than again price of componets and ease of install,, I mean makin custom mounts n doing a drive shaft is no biggie but if there is direct dropins thats even eaiser..

I have access to full custom shop as thats what I did for yrs b4 my accident..

take some good pics tomorrow.

The GX was the fancy trim package, probably has a tachometer?

Not much of an extra trim package ggzilla, as far as the Tach goes, I highly doubt it. Even back in the day Tachs were few and far between. I have owned abut 8-10 of these cars and only had two with tachs. One is because I put it there. The one I have now does two, because I put it there. :)

Now that damn small clock is the rarety that goes in the "D" in the dash is the hard one to find.

Crip... does it have a 5 sp trans ? I would just rebuild the A14 and go... its probably the most basic engine around. might be able to get by with a re-ring kit and hone out the cylinders.

But hey what do I know... do what you can..

Most of the time you can't find the windshield and fixed side window seals. They can be sucessfully repaired with black RTV but there are preparations that must be done first. Get a sharp Xacto knife [or better a scalpel blade, I know, hard to find but some hobby shops have them]. Holding the blade at 45 degrees to the glass, cut about one eighth of an inch back from the glass to seal junction to remove the worst of the deteriorated rubber. Scrub the area you just opened, glass and seal, with an old tooth brush and distilled white vinegar. This preps the exposed rubber to seal properly to the RTV and more importantly scrubs the crap from the glass allowing a good bond. [RTV outgasses acetic acid, vinegar, during its cure, so the vinegar wipe has etched the surface for a proper cure bond.] Slowly and carefully fill the glass to rubber gap with the RTV and before it starts to skin over tool the surface with a wet plastic scraper, or credit card offer you got in the mail, or a plain wet finger [your choice]. You can even skim some of the RTV over the surface of the rest of the seal if you want a "new" appearance. Great for those damned leaks in the corner of the windshield that you never find until you come out of the car wash.

The cylinders were looking good actually when the head was off still had good crosshatch.. but it got really hot,, the reason it needed the new head gasket and radiator..

I jsut got some info back on my craigs list posts,,

will these do me any good,,

have 3 auto trans, all are out of 510's. Two are the Jatco out of 72 - 510's and the other is the Borg/Warner from a 71 - 510. I am willing to let any or all go at a reasonable price.

let me know thx..

ant thx mike,, I have a buddy that owns a auto glass shop so I should be able to get him off his ass to seal some stuff up for me hehehe..

small clock is the rarety that goes in the "D" in the dash is the hard one to find
There was one on eBay that ended Friday. Brand new in Nissan box.

The A14 is 'basic' in that it is easy to rebuild. But so much more than basic, with *exceptional* fuel economy and good power for a pre-EFI engine. How about 50 mpg with the 5-speed, 39 with 4-speed and 34 with the automatic. See B210 fuel economy.

The JATCO 3-speed is basically the same for all models, but bell-housing and convertor specs vary. The 4-speed wasn't available until the 1980s and is a few inches longer. I'm not aware of anyone who has tried fitting a 4-speed in place of the 3-speed. I think it is do-able but you'd have to shorten the driveshaft and maybe fabricate a new rear mount.

Thx for the Info you guys.. awesome'

The fabrication is not a prob.. ;),, I just need to obtain parts,, and get rdy for this as this is my only car and I dont want it to be down for more than 2 days total..

heheh cuz I need to drive it home.. lol ]

I have my buddy finding out about motor for me, he raced 510 2 yrs dirt trackin santa maria speedway.. so he has some stuff..

I actually am getting 34 - 38 mpg with my automatic.. lol I made a HHO gen bout a yr ago for fun , to see if it really worked,,, made the current limiter PWM from plans and that baby was pumpin, 600 ml a min of hho gas at 15 amps.. i got a 2 - 4 mpg increase no shit.. anyways thats a diff forum lol..

and Im makin a fast D ride now so as long as i can get 25 -28 mpg ill be good.. on this I jsut want the fun lil cart rippin..

I swear everywhere i go people are talkin to me in the parkin lot.. and I get looks all the time when people pass me on the frwy..

I want to be doing the passing now...

Heres the pics only a few spots of rust window cancer, and drivers side rear wheel are, its minimal, original carpet is tits,, seats are falling apart tho.. got original manuals all in perfect condition is that worth anything??

so here she is my baby..

http://cripskillz.com/pics/B210

Haha, I've had a few B's back in the day, a green GX was one of them.

You didn't say where you are.. will it need to pass smog inspection?

if not....

I say, go for the L series swap...:D

since you will be keeping the auto, build a L22B ( Z22 w/L20 head)

put on some SU carbs and drop it in with the 510 X member.and

a 2.5 in exhaust with no cat.

the auto will sap some power so the torque from the larger motor will be a good combo in the light car,

also the auto should help save the rear axle, so the axle you have should live

if you don't beat on it too much.

but the brakes will need an upgrade, top of the line street/race pad min.

If it has to pass smog,

then build an A15 for it. lite port and shave on the head, mild cam, good exhaust with a modern cat. You'll be stuck with

a stock carb to pass smog. but that can be swapped for a weber, or some SU's after you pass, then your good for two more years...

for a DD this thing will be quick off the line and a ton of fun.;)

Edited by greybeard

Im actually in Atascadero,, just few hrs north of ya..

Not worring about the smog.. I can always put the old motor back in for tests ;) ,,

The car was from NY, ,and there is no cat on it now,, It has a 14" magnaflo on it now heheh sounds cool for the lil a14,, my buddy at the muff shop couldnt find the normal muff for it, so all good,,

Im going to have to find out waht a rebuild will cost me and see what my buddy has laying around.. trying to do this cheaply as possible.. thats part of the fun.. old fast n cheap..

This car is in CA. and has to pass smog inspection every other year.....

is anyone really going to want to swap engine, trans, X member etc. etc.

every other year to get your tags...

KA or LZ in a B-210 would be awesome, but in California, one would have to start with a 74 chassis... 74 and older is not required to go through inspection.

My .02

A15 has more torque (what you want with an auto) than A14, and is considered a replacement engine by CARB, not an engine swap like L or KA engine.

Engine swap here requires a trip to the smog ref. and everything working for the year of the engine (FI ECU EGR ETC.)

I ran a stock A14 in mine with basic suspension mods. (springs,shocks, sways,wheels and GOOD tires) and had much AutoX success.

but it was slow off the line.

Edited by greybeard

Dont worry,, I am the guy that will do that,, so KA it is.. been checking prices on that, trying to find that comb,, dont try to talk me out of it .. lol

actually have a few SER motors sittin in the shop wonder if thoes can be mated to a RWD tranny,, might have to look into that.,. too

Edited by crip
Dont worry,, I am the guy that will do that,, so KA it is.. been checking prices on that, trying to find that comb,, dont try to talk me out of it .. lol

actually have a few SER motors sittin in the shop wonder if thoes can be mated to a RWD tranny,, might have to look into that.,. too

dont bother with the se-r motors.. its too much work, easier an cheaper to just get a rwd det..

i am curious about the se-r stuff tho, since i have one.. what all you got?

yes it seems that now a days everybody has a hook up here in cali for an under the table smog. i am so sick of paying astronomical prices for under the table smog checks. this is a problem that will not go away but get worse in the future. are you going to shell out the extra cash when cali goes to an every year smog check? i will not.

the thing is that what will you do when you sell the car. you can't sell with an illegal swap becuase even after the sale you are still on the hook and responsible for paying the fees. even worse, if you have a pre 75 car and you get pulled over and bar reffed, you still have an engine that is smog legal.

the best thing to do is to do it right and stick with an engine that was offered here in the states. like the ka or vg. just make sure you get all the smog stuff.

i just finished swapping in a ca18det into my 74 datsun b210. in retrospect, i wished i would have stuck something that was offered here in the states to avoid all these problems later.

yes it seems that now a days everybody has a hook up here in cali for an under the table smog. i am so sick of paying astronomical prices for under the table smog checks. this is a problem that will not go away but get worse in the future. are you going to shell out the extra cash when cali goes to an every year smog check? i will not.

the thing is that what will you do when you sell the car. you can't sell with an illegal swap becuase even after the sale you are still on the hook and responsible for paying the fees. even worse, if you have a pre 75 car and you get pulled over and bar reffed, you still have an engine that is smog legal.

the best thing to do is to do it right and stick with an engine that was offered here in the states. like the ka or vg. just make sure you get all the smog stuff.

i just finished swapping in a ca18det into my 74 datsun b210. in retrospect, i wished i would have stuck something that was offered here in the states to avoid all these problems later.

gotta have the big balls to play with the big boys... dont let cali tell you what to do with your car.. fucking bastards, i will never move to cali..

Its all good I never sell any of my cars anyway,, they die long b4 i could sell it lol.. this is for fun,, so im gona have some,, you only live once live it up...

YOU GO CRIP! dont let em keep ya down...

besides what kind of asshole cop harasses a cripple guy.. ;) :D

lookin forward to seein some swap pics