reliable, affordable title service needed.

It's official, I'm addicted to these little cars. I just bought a 1969 Datsun 510 wagon. I never thought I'd buy a wagon anything!!!:w00t:Anyway, if anyone on here has used a lost title service with good results let me know, because this guy says he doesn't have the title and I would love to restore this car.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, DMV has all the forms you need, just a pain in the ass. In WA you need an affidavit of something, basically you drag a piece of paper to the guy who sold you the car and he writes I got from so and so and lost title or they didn't have the title, etc.

You get a branded title for 3 years, then it goes off and you can reapply for a clean title. Probably different in MO, but basically the state has some way to file for lost title that involves paperwork, a fee, and that's about it, unless the vehicle comes up as stolen.

Yeah, DMV has all the forms you need, just a pain in the ass. In WA you need an affidavit of something, basically you drag a piece of paper to the guy who sold you the car and he writes I got from so and so and lost title or they didn't have the title, etc.

You get a branded title for 3 years, then it goes off and you can reapply for a clean title. Probably different in MO, but basically the state has some way to file for lost title that involves paperwork, a fee, and that's about it, unless the vehicle comes up as stolen.

If someone offers to sell you a car with no title, pay no more than 1 dollar. You will most likely get screwed. The person who sold you the stolen/scrapped/illegal import will claim the legal out of "good faith buyer of last resort" in other words "Gee, I believed the rat I bought it from" and walk away.

That's why you have the seller fill out the affidavit of responsibility or whatever it's called. It transfers the stolenness on to them. Then when the DMV checks it out, it will go back to him. But yeah, largely it's a judgement call. Do you think he really did have the title, or is he living in a van down by the river with a Rolls Royce for sale cheap? :D

First off. Call the DMV tell them you are thinking of buying said car and you want to check on the fee's owed. At this point if it stolen they will ask you where the vehicle is and you will be off the hook if it's stolen. If its not stolen they will tell you, the name of the last owner and any fee's that is currently owed on the car.. I have done this a few times, just within the last month for a travel trailer with lost title.

I dont know why everybody over looks just plain calling the dmv.

i used http://www.its-titles.com/ for a motorcycle...

it is your responsibility to make sure the car hasn't been totalled or stolen though...

i just had my wife's uncle check the vin he is a police cheif...

then filled out and mailed all the paperwork and they sent me what i needed...

later,

Chris