Moar powah

BlakeZula

I can make the tires squeek in 1st and 2nd with my L16...ported and polished and a Weber/Header plus Z-car 5 speed...:cool:

Thats good enough for me man. Plus the near 100mph top cruising speed is alright too.:blink:

I mean I assume it will go that fast;)

Colorado1138.jpg

Just drive it man...buy a motorcycle if you want to go fast.:D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blakezula....I am an engine guy, it's my hobby. Everyone here has pretty much been correct with thier assessments. Speed cost money and if you get past 150 on a L16 then you should have spent the money elsewhere.

I am heavily into Dodge D50 sports (hence the handle). The earliest model produced was '79. I've had 3 of them.

I recently took the 2.6 156CID 2559CC motor out for a basic rebuild. Well,

10K later I have this sitting on the engine stand. It is N/A and will produce 225HP / 250+ TQ. A C2 Procharger is currently being fabbed to this that will increase the output 70HP. Point of this story....Be prepared to drop some coin if you want some power. The basic bolt on MODS i.e. carb, header, cam, exhaust will be enough for you to enjoy your truck.

CIMG1003.jpg

CIMG0867.jpg

Edited by 79D50
Blakezula....I am an engine guy, it's my hobby. Everyone here has pretty much been correct with thier assessments. Speed cost money and if you get past 150 on a L16 then you should have spent the money elsewhere.

I am heavily into Dodge D50 sports (hence the handle). The earliest model produced was '79. I've had 3 of them.

I recently took the 2.6 156CID 2559CC motor out for a basic rebuild. Well,

10K later I have this sitting on the engine stand. It is N/A and will produce 225HP / 250+ TQ. A C2 Procharger is currently being fabbed to this that will increase the output 70HP. Point of this story....Be prepared to drop some coin if you want some power. The basic bolt on MODS i.e. carb, header, cam, exhaust will be enough for you to enjoy your truck.

CIMG1003.jpg

CIMG0867.jpg

you realis you could have rebuilt a 2.6t from a starion with a bigger turbo and had just as much power for half the price. one guy just made 342 hp and 348ftlbs @ 5300 rpm's on a tbi car .

then went mpi for a couple grand more

that is a work of art i really like your plug wire holder

Edited by DISLEXICDIME

:eek: engine. beautiful.

but yeah im thinking.. i dont want to take her to the strip, or beat the local V8s. i just want her to squeal a little more.. you know? i dont really care about top speed. i dont wanna go 200. i just wanna go 60...but i wanna get there really fast

you realis you could have rebuilt a 2.6t from a starion with a bigger turbo and had just as much power for half the price. one guy just made 342 hp and 348ftlbs @ 5300 rpm's on a tbi car .

then went mpi for a couple grand more

that is a work of art i really like your plug wire holder

I am well aware of the starion/conquests and what they are capable of. There are also some big noteable difference between the 2.6's in the turbo cars and the N/A 2.6's.

1. The Turbo 2.6 has a Cold Hardened Crank and Rods - The N/A does not

2. The Turbo 2.6 has oil squirters in the block for the pistons - the N/A does not.

Those guys pushing over 300 HP are boosting well over 10 psi and with a MPI setup, bigger injectors, forged pistons, ARP studs, and a port/polished head with a .282 lift .435 duration CAM can make over 500 HP in a wink. The G54B is an unknown soldier in the tuner world when compared to smaller, better known 1.8 - 2.0 - 2.4 - 2.5 liter motors. Its one of the biggest 4 cylinders made next to some diesel engines that Isuzu manufactured.

So, I can turbo my motor very carefully if I get a hgih capacity oil pump and only boost 5-7 lbs max.

I decided to build this 2.6 like a big block. I was intending to install a 100 shot of NOS but leaned towards the Supercharger. I can safely say I am the only guy who will have a wildly built 2.6 with a Procharger...These motors are known for torque. Of course you know torque is what gets you down the road.

Stock these put out 105HP 145 TQ. Compared to the L18/L20 which is 100 HP 100 TQ.

Let it be known that 50% of that money is in bling i.e. fastners, polish, chrome, etc friggin etc. The list goes on and on. I almost shit when I added it up. The tranny is built to the hilt as well.

I am well aware of the starion/conquests and what they are capable of. There are also some big noteable difference between the 2.6's in the turbo cars and the N/A 2.6's.

1. The Turbo 2.6 has a Cold Hardened Crank and Rods - The N/A does not

2. The Turbo 2.6 has oil squirters in the block for the pistons - the N/A does not.

Those guys pushing over 300 HP are boosting well over 10 psi and with a MPI setup, bigger injectors, forged pistons, ARP studs, and a port/polished head with a .282 lift .435 duration CAM can make over 500 HP in a wink. The G54B is an unknown soldier in the tuner world when compared to smaller, better known 1.8 - 2.0 - 2.4 - 2.5 liter motors. Its one of the biggest 4 cylinders made next to some diesel engines that Isuzu manufactured.

So, I can turbo my motor very carefully if I get a hgih capacity oil pump and only boost 5-7 lbs max.

I decided to build this 2.6 like a big block. I was intending to install a 100 shot of NOS but leaned towards the Supercharger. I can safely say I am the only guy who will have a wildly built 2.6 with a Procharger...These motors are known for torque. Of course you know torque is what gets you down the road.

Stock these put out 105HP 145 TQ. Compared to the L18/L20 which is 100 HP 100 TQ.

Let it be known that 50% of that money is in bling i.e. fastners, polish, chrome, etc friggin etc. The list goes on and on. I almost shit when I added it up. The tranny is built to the hilt as well.

what did you do to the trans? Is it a 5 speed ?

you should make a build thread for your d50 that would be sweet

I have been contemplating a 2.6 t in my dime for a while! city hunter had one in a 74 colt that thing was fast.

I think it would be an easier swap in a 620 but not as much fun as it would be in a dime ! the only reason i have not done it is i dont want to pay for a r200 clutch type lsd

sorry for the thread jack !

the guy who maid 342 is still tbi

Edited by DISLEXICDIME

Hey D50,

maybe you can help me out. I was searching for cam timing specs for my '84 D50 motor and found this page, so I signed up. :P

I have an '84 D50 4x4 and I just put a new head on it tonight. My Clymer book has no info on cam timing beyond "line up the dots". Do you have any data for the stock cam? I'd especially like to find the lift at overlap numbers, so I can verify I'm on the right tooth. This motor's been rebuilt at least once and the plated links don't line up on the marks... I measured .280" lift on my new cam (came from Panstone, Inc, with the head). I'm not 100% sure I didn't skip teeth on the crank gear when I blocked the chain tensioner.

Thanks and cheers,

Greg

Hey D50,

maybe you can help me out. I was searching for cam timing specs for my '84 D50 motor and found this page, so I signed up. :P

I have an '84 D50 4x4 and I just put a new head on it tonight. My Clymer book has no info on cam timing beyond "line up the dots". Do you have any data for the stock cam? I'd especially like to find the lift at overlap numbers, so I can verify I'm on the right tooth. This motor's been rebuilt at least once and the plated links don't line up on the marks... I measured .280" lift on my new cam (came from Panstone, Inc, with the head). I'm not 100% sure I didn't skip teeth on the crank gear when I blocked the chain tensioner.

Thanks and cheers,

Greg

as far as timing it should be the same !

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=944