Rack and Pinion on a 620

VoidDragon

My searchfu brought up some nibbles but nothing direct, so I thought I'd ask.

Has anyone switched over to a rack and pinion setup without a full motor swap?

I've seen various Pinto kits in mags(nvr datto specific mind you) But it seems plausible.

My Tie rods ends and center link ends are crusty as hell, so might as well research some upgrades before repairing them right?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a 320 that had a pinto rack put in it. The Datstang. Also had a v6.

Never got any details about how it was done. But I know it was pretty hard to turn the steeringwheel for some reason.

THe old thread about it is here

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4044&highlight=datstang

This started life as a KA-24E swap into the 620.But being in Az,i needed A/C.Actually the wife needed A/C.But with the KA in the frame,there was not enough room to mount the compressor as the steering box was in the way.So i got to thinkin':What a perfect excuse for converting to a rack!After a lot of time & research and visits to fabricators,the only way was to use a custom rack.Since this is my wifes daily driver & ranch truck,i couldn't justify the expense.So i built a LZ-23.

Keep in mind that in a situation like we are talking,"bump steer" is a critical factor.If it is not addressed properly -it can kill you.

there was a guy runnin around here in idaho that had a luv that he did a pinto rack swap on. it had a buick 455 and 4 speed too.

from what i remember he just put the rack basically where the stock steering center link was. he made new crossmember for the rack to bolt on to and put isuzu end links on it. worked good from what he said.

It's not impossible to correct bump steer. That's not to say it isn't very important.

The guys that build the "lotus look-alike" sports cars go through this all the time. Google "lotus + bump steer".

Basically, they take the spring & shock off, move the suspension through it's stroke, then shim the rack up and down until it works right. Sometimes they need to shorten or lengthen the tie rods.

The key is understanding how steering geometry works.

If you are worried about bump steer on a Datsun, then check out what you got cause it probably ain't good. Datsun Z's have about 3 inches from full droop to full bump. But right on Roadracer Al. Move things around a bit you'll get it. If you move the inboard location of the lower control arm on an early Z car up 3/4" it solves the bumpsteer.

If you have to start new on a truck/rack coversion then you will have to Fab mounts, just get it mocked up and check the Bsteer before you weld anything in.

I'd disagree -- I've seen plenty of quality work here on Ratsun.

If you mean you're not going to do it in an afternoon with a case of Bud and an angle-grinder, yeah, you're probably right.

The hardest part would be shortening the outputs on the new rack. You'd need to disassemble the rack and take the outputs to a machinist to have new threads cut in them to match the joints. And that would be pretty hair-raising to me -- you only get ONE opportunity to cut new threads! :eek:

Just offering a little insight Z-Train. Check it out, we were on the subject of Bumpsteer, Your name is Z-train, I looked up in the corner and saw you owned a 240 Z. My bad, Just thought you might want to try it out on your Z. An easy mod the gets you Steered in the right direction. But if you want to be one of those guys. I can give you all of the details if you want. Just trying to be helpful.

Just offering a little insight Z-Train. Check it out, we were on the subject of Bumpsteer, Your name is Z-train, I looked up in the corner and saw you owned a 240 Z. My bad, Just thought you might want to try it out on your Z. An easy mod the gets you Steered in the right direction. But if you want to be one of those guys. I can give you all of the details if you want. Just trying to be helpful.
Don't try to argue with Z-Train, he's the end-all be-all. Hell, he won't even believe LA has smog...:rolleyes:

Voidragon--Anything is possible, even a R&P in a 620. However it is very cost prohibitive for most datto owners. I did a little searching for this myself, I cant find a common Power rack that would be anywhere close to narrow enough for a 620. I did find a custom built power rack that was based off of the pinto/mustang II design for $598. Thats just for the rack, now factor in the hoses, pump, and custom steering column, tie rod ends to get it to the spindles and more custom work to mount the rack in the 620. You are now around $1200 in parts alone? Paying a shop to do this work? This has now added up to about double what most of us payed for our 620's.

Try what out on my Z?ANd now that you qualify,the R&P thing with machineshop mods,it does change the equation a bit.But with what you are talking about,the investment vs gain ratio is way outa wack.

Don't try to argue with Z-Train, he's the end-all be-all. Hell, he won't even believe LA has smog...:rolleyes:

End all and be all?Not quite.However,i have forgotton more about Hot Rodding than you'll ever know.

And as far as the SMOG thing goes-go phuk yourself.

And Jason just confirmed what i've been saying.