light delay

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem in my 720. Its the contacts on the light switch itself. Get some WD 40, and just shoot a little in there on the contacts. Should solve your problem. I did mine a year ago and have not had the problem since. The contacts are in the steering column at the end of the light/turn signal handle.

I can take a picture of where you need to spray it if you need.

It's a common problem on the 720s and every other 80s Datsun/Nissan that has the stalk-mounted headlight switch. The contacts and the relay get corroded, and the "fix" it to either clean or replace the switch assembly (the entire headlight/turn signal unit).

If I recall right, the relay is part of the assembly. Kind of a stupid place to put it, really. my '81 510 has the same problem and it's not the first one I've had do that.

There is no relay for the parking lights/dash lights. You twist the switch and they are connected. If the dash lights come on right away, so do the parking lights.

High and low beams are supplied with power at all times when the headlight switch is on. The ground side of both beams go to a relay that grounds the low beams when the light switch is set in the low beam position. (relay clicks ON)

When high beams are selected the relay reverts to it's rest position with the high beams connected to ground. (relay clicks OFF)

The headlight relay is located directly above the fuse box on the far right side. Possibly it could be that as that is where both grounds meet. You could swap it with the auto choke heater (same color) located up under the pass side dash above the kick panel just to try it and see.

Thanks fellas, Got a can of wd40 in the truck and will give it a shot (pun intended).

lol

Yeah, i really think that will help. Mine would do the same thing. I would go out, start it up. Click the lights on, and about 10 seconds later give or take they would come on. Then while i was driving, i would turn on the high beams and they would take a few to come on as well. I could be wrong, it just sounds the same. After you shoot some WD40 in there turn the lights on and off a buncha times to work that into the contacts. If you look on the backside of the switch you might be able to see it

***EDIT

In order to get to the contacts you will have to pull the plastic part of the column off to squirt it directly.

Off position

11-03-09_1224.jpg

On position

11-03-09_1225.jpg

You can't really see the contacts in there so it might be needed to ensure the wd40 is actually getting on there. Then turning off on a bit should clean them right up.

Edited by h2theizzo