Common and UNcommon engine swaps

DRIVEN

Acme Adapters does the VW diesel swaps, They are designed for the Toyota 5 speed.

I want to put a 1.9t diesel with the toyota 5 speed into a 620. Good power to haul stuff, and very economic.

Well then there is a company who makes mTDI's. These are completely mechanicalized TDI motors (mk3&4), easy power out of them (180hp & 300ft-lb). That would haul. Could probably still get 55mpg with that.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ya starting in 05 they started using qr25's and a couple years later the rogue too buts its not a very impressive motor, cast con rods and the like I would take a ka before I took that thing lol. The rogue one is the one to use at 170hp the frontier version is 154. Me personally if I was going to use a frontier motor it would be the 265hp vq40, which is a stroked vq35.

I like the idea if a nice light sr24de in a dime, its and engine that suites the body, but awd is a bad idea imho. Remember the pulsar gtir? Very similar in size and weight, awd sr.... That thing couldnt turn to save its life.

• 2 weeks later...

im going to be doing a vh45 twin turbo!

stock 330 +/- at the crank with a chip. 460 ish, 6 psi single turbo, built to piss with gtx30's 800+++++

got the car, the drive train, and the engine, just no freaking time!

this has been my dream since i bought the shell.

that poor poor firewall... :)

a few more tax returns to go!

• Like 1

that is awsome news that it fits!

i am a fabricator and have a growing side business building street beasts. always wanted to do the swap, and never found any info on it ever being done.

there are many options for this engine to make power, as well as 5 and 6 speed tranny adaptor plates.

you really just made my day. im so busy with other peoples shit, i didnt even measure the tower to see how tight it would be. i just figured i had to fab it to fit, and make most of the front end tube. will probably do that for strenght anyhow.

i have to go make a new friend, and get lots of pics and tips from who ever the shop is!

thanks again!

I think fitment is the least of the problems with that swap. The engine weighs literally twice as much dry as a l20b. 522lbs vs 260lbs, Total boat anchor completely screwing up the dynamics and no matter whats done wheel spin is going to be a major issue.

Just for comparison sake a ls1 is 385lbs WET, makes and is capable of making way more power cheaper, is over a liter larger, doesnt need a trans adapter, off the shelf performance parts and is smaller etc...lol.

There is really no good reason to do the swap. Thats prob why it hasn't been done. Cool as it would be to see its 100% gimmick.

That said though so is the vg30dett, it actually weighs more then the vh45 and its been done really well. Def interesting to see.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...