Torque Thrust Wheels

fisch

Man I really like the old school hot rod look of Torque Thrust wheels w/ red drum brakes w/ whitewalls.

The only ones I can find with a 6X5.5 lug are these American Racing 20". (I wish they made 18s!) Can these fit in a 521 w/o major mods? The specs are:

20X8.5

6X5.5

+19 offset.

How tall of a tire could I put on these? Don't know if they make low profile whitewalls.

It'd be great to know the biggest and widest you can go on a 521 w/o getting into trouble. (Not that I love ginormous wheels.) What's the biggest offset? Anyone know?

104_top2.jpg

104_top.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, looking at that awesome 521 that was on Mini Truckin Web a while back (attached) I see that 20's will just be too big. Ok for the back, but not the front.

This truck is sporting Billet Specialties Vintec. 20X8 w/ 225/35/r20's on the rear, and 18X7 w/ 225/40/r18's on the front.

If that back wheel was on the front, you'd prolly have a tough time turning.

So I guess I kinda answered my question, but I'd still like to know how big is too big for the front.

0704mt_01_z1968_datsun_521front_dri.jpg

0704mt_04_z1968_datsun_521front_end.jpg

0704mt_02_z1968_datsun_521rear_pass.jpg

i love those torque thrusters. which they made em smaller with 6 lug. went to a brothers truck show a few years back, all gmc trucks, and everyone had those wheels on ther c10s.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/classic-chevy-and-gmc-truck-shows-and-events.asp

i wish there was a catalog to restore classic datsuns to their original glory, but then that just takes the ratsun out of it :D

Fisch : You might want to know , I took my truck to my friend that runs a tire shop . Have my laptop with me and showed him those Chrome 6 spoke

6 lug wheels ;) He said , AHHHH , hot selling wheel on the mini truck scene :)

Says they are Cragar's 61 or 610 series , took some measurement with this trick tool he places on hub , then rotates it . Right there said what would work , and what wouldn't . Says the 18" x 9" +20mm offset will clear ('78 620 KC ) . We ordered one rim , will be about 1 week , then test fit tires.

You need to find yourself a friendly tire shop that will do this kind of service.

Saves lots of time:D JUST DON"T BUY ANYTHNG , UNTILL TEST FITMENT:eek:

Fisch : You might want to know , I took my truck to my friend that runs a tire shop . Have my laptop with me and showed him those Chrome 6 spoke

6 lug wheels ;) He said , AHHHH , hot selling wheel on the mini truck scene :)

Says they are Cragar's 61 or 610 series , took some measurement with this trick tool he places on hub , then rotates it . Right there said what would work , and what wouldn't . Says the 18" x 9" +20mm offset will clear ('78 620 KC ) . We ordered one rim , will be about 1 week , then test fit tires.

You need to find yourself a friendly tire shop that will do this kind of service.

Saves lots of time:D JUST DON"T BUY ANYTHNG , UNTILL TEST FITMENT:eek:

Sweetness man! Do let me know how they work! And Pics, pics, pics!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming there's some sort of progression between the tallest and the widest tires you can get... like, the taller they are, the narrower they have to be, correct? Although there has to be some limit... Assuming you go with a tire diameter close to stock (195/75R14?), does anyone know what the widest tire/rim combo would be? Seems like 18x7" is roughly about the tallest... could you do 16x8 or 17x9, or would that be too wide?

I think the Titan/Armada wheels are 18x8 Fineline has a set of 6 spoke on his truck and I have 5 spoke on my truck with little to no clearance issues. I think if you were to roll and STRETCH the fenders a little you could get a 9" wide wheel /tire combo under the rear of a 620 but 8's would be the widest under the front. my 2door 510 is stretched and I have 18x8s under mostly stock fenders front and rear

Do you think it'd be similar for a 521? 18x8?

I'm not planning on anything that big... I think I'll likely stick with 16's, maybe 17's at the most... although it would be nice to have an 8" wide wheel... do you have any idea what backspacing you're using?

Factory wheels never seem to have any lip. I wonder why.... cheaper to manufacture maybe?

Usually it's because of the scrub radius, they are usually never zero offset unless they are super narrow. lots of lip in the front usually means a zero or negative offset, look at BMW for instance they always run a staggered offset. The front always has less lip than the back. My guess anyways :D

Do you think it'd be similar for a 521? 18x8?

I'm not planning on anything that big... I think I'll likely stick with 16's, maybe 17's at the most... although it would be nice to have an 8" wide wheel... do you have any idea what backspacing you're using?

check out "DGRfab 521 sr20det" in the projects area he is running some nice wheels Konigs 16x8 they look even better in person

Remember "Boys and Girls"...this is the tire and width that your pickup was originally designed to run...(great big 600x14).....

truckeestire.jpg

truckeestire1.jpg

Hmm, that would explain why my tyres stick out slightly on the front, and rub on full lock when lowered. I'm running 215/65R14, and the original spare. I think I can run 12" on the rear with out an issue, unless heavily loaded then they hit the rear guards.