1980 720 4x4

izzo

project "izzo" is dead. its got a bit o rust in the floor boards. some what near the cab mounts. Still holding together well actually, its not really to bad but more than i want to fix. Theres more out there that has less rust. Also, the brakes keep giving me shit. Its leaking, and i can't tell where. I can leave it parked, drive it, w/e. No spots, nothing wet anywhere on the brake lines, master cylinder, wheel cylinders. so... I set out and looked for something DD worthy. I wanted another pickup, just 4x4. Good for daily driving, going over the pass in the winter, driving on the beach, camping etc. The little one did ok for camping and long trips. But meh! Not so good on the rest.

Traded my KA for this. 1980 4x4. now, the guy i got it from. He traded a 73 510 goon for it. Said he wanted this truck because it had a good motor in it. Its to bad he pulled the engine out of this, i could have just gave him my motor and been driving this already. oh well. On the first freaky510 and i are going to tear into this if everything goes alright. Ill bring my camera. Going to have to swap the engine, probly the rear end also. and whatever else while we are there.

only pics i have of this now tho.

DSCN0302.jpg

DSCN0303.jpg

Interior was good shape from what i saw. has factory tach, center console, brown interior. Body is pretty straight. Surface rust in the bed but i didn't have time to look it over really good. Doors/fenders looked to be the only real bad spots. The floors were good shape. Original floor mat was in there also. I looked under it and didn't see any rust. Ill pull more apart later and get pics of that when i scrub it inside and out. Think im going to leave this yellow for now. Flat black was cool for a while but i'd like some color on my rig for a change

Edited by h2theizzo
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how are those tires treating you

:lol:

those tires are not on there anymore, along with the rims. It has some chrome rims on there now with super small tires. Basically rollers (they will be for sale soon.

Since my current rims have brought up 0 interest, i will have to use them on the 4x4 till i get some $$ for something else. (the ones pictured below) its gonna look funny with small tires on a 4x4. So you still have all 4 tires? did you use the rims?

IMG_0601.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo
  • 2 weeks later...

good news

freaky510 and i went and checked out the truck to see what kind of shit was missing. All it was missing was the motor! Thought more would have been missing or some cut wires, he was very good about taking it out. All the wires were still there and in OK condition it looked like.

need to pressure wash the engine bay and drop the new engine in there. swap the rear ends. Rust isn't bad as i thought, just mostly surface except one spot in the bed.

11-01-09_1603.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo
Unfortunately only the L20B with 4X4 oilpan will fit in it. Stock 2wd pan won't clear the front diff. Z motors won't fit because the '80 diff is on the pass side all other year 720s were on driver's side.

You are correct :D Have the l20 4x4 pan and oil pickup tube. Thanks to the PO and Datsunfish!

sweet! as soon as my wagon is finished I am going to buy a late 80's or early 90's geo tracker 4x4...I will pop a suzuki samurai diff with a locker in the front and a few other goodies and call it good. wife wants to go camping more, and the 72 wagon and the 07 yaris dont really fit the bill,lol.

looks like its gonna be a fun truck! are you getting rid of the extended cab or the normal cab project? reason I ask is cause the bigger cab is nice for camping trips...course, i guess with either a canopy or a tarp you have plenty of room for stuff in the bed.

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested in buying this? Only reason i am thinking of selling it is because im low on the funds right now and need to get a few things paid off. If it sells great if not ill get to this in a month or two when i have a little time.

a little cancer rust at the headboard of the bed, rust spots on the fenders no cancer that i could see. Floorboards perfect no cancer. All glass good, seats good, has stock original rubber floor cover, tan interior, factory tach, gauges, dont know about miles. No motor. Has 4spd tranny. Rear slider. Have the factory service manual for the 1980 4x4. Have oil pan & oil pickup tube that you will need for this project. Have l20 intake i could throw in. Needs rims/tires. Ones on it are fine but they are too small for that pickup. Has tow hitch welded to the frame, think it has trailer wires also not sure. All wires still in tact under hood. This truck just needs the motor dropped in and drove off. Has exhaust still there, no manifold just downpipe & back. $500. Clean/clear title. Good tabs till 2011. One tail light is busted if i remember right.

i know this should go in the for sale section but i just dont care to post it in there for sale. Especially since i don't want to let it go. Is what it is and if it dont sell and i keep it, its one less useless thread on here. We all know theres to many of those floating around.

• 1 month later...

nobody was interested!

Go figure haha.. anyways. Borrowing a cherry picker on sunday from freaky510, going to rainier and pulling the motor out of my black 2wd daily driver and putting it in the 80 4x4. Everything is there and all it needs is an engine/battery. ill try and get some pics of the progress. this will be my new daily driver...

• 2 weeks later...

holy jesus christ what a fucking pain in the ass this truck is.

block brackets from a 2wd will not work, at all. have to custom make some shit, really hard getting motor/trans in/out due to oil pan and shit. after all is said and done, got it mostly level but wasn't really safe to drive around due to the way the motor mounts/brackets were setup. maybe if i had a welder there and some metal. hard as hell working out there in the mud with 0 room to move around in that barn like thing we were working in. never woulda got done if it wasn't for freaky510, hes the shit when it comes to yanking motors, and working lol....

not sure if i should try and get it going or what. seems to be to much of a pain in the ass to fuck around with so..... off to the parts pile it goes. i am going to keep a few items, rest is up for sale. they dont even make front drive shafts for the 4x4 anymore. to much of a pain to put shit in from a later year so... /ENDPROJECT

how much for the front cv's? shipped to V9L-5W8 (canada)? Thanks Grahem

Grahem, good question :D Passenger side looked fine IIRC, driver side needs new boots for sure, i cannot be sure about the driver side as i never got to test it out. Boots at the least, make offer i can find out shipping later. ill be going back here before to long to pull some parts off it.

:huh:

block brackets from a 2wd will not work, at all. have to custom make some shit, really hard getting motor/trans in/out due to oil pan and shit. after all is said and done, got it mostly level but wasn't really safe to drive around due to the way the motor mounts/brackets were setup. maybe if i had a welder there and some metal. hard as hell working out there in the mud with 0 room to move around in that barn like thing we were working in. never woulda got done if it wasn't for freaky510, hes the shit when it comes to yanking motors, and working lol....

not sure if i should try and get it going or what. seems to be to much of a pain in the ass to fuck around with so..... off to the parts pile it goes. i am going to keep a few items, rest is up for sale. they dont even make front drive shafts for the 4x4 anymore. to much of a pain to put shit in from a later year so... /ENDPROJECT

next time bring that shit over here and we WILL GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) :lol: :blink: :unsure:

block brackets from a 2wd will not work, at all. have to custom make some shit, really hard getting motor/trans in/out due to oil pan and shit.

did you look at the Z22 mount/brackets pix i sent?

they are shorter...

i also have a Z24 pan if thats any help.

did you look at the Z22 mount/brackets pix i sent?

they are shorter...

i also have a Z24 pan if thats any help.

totally different

$50 plus shipping? hopefully the drivers side is salvagable, mines missing lol.

sounds good, should be salvageable. just looked like boots were missing

What? Your giving up on your truck! :blink:

yeah........................ sucks, but one the trucks out in the boon docks, two its a hassle to drive 3 hours round trip to just work on it. im done. from here out projects will be done at freakys house or mine. if its at freakys house, ill just crash at my sisters. its only a 20 minute drive to brians house so... itll be ok. i need to work out a few tweaks on the black truck and itll be good as ever.