insurance appraisal value?

FATT STRIPES

we're having trouble w/ our insurance company deciding on the trucks current worth,ofcourse KBB doesnt go back as far as '67 and my answer of priceless to the nice insurance lady wasnt a good answer either. what price range should i suggest? the truck is mostly stock other some shave work,primered(not rattle can), has 70k miles on original running engine

picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=1727

Edited by FATT STRIPES
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you use it as a daily driver? If not, you could go with an insurance company like Hagerty that insures classic cars. The issue with a company like that is that they generally have rules regarding how much it can be driven, how it's stored and so on. With my Roadster, I just gave them a value that takes into account everything that I've done to it while I've had it.

If you drive it regularly, I'd check NADA - they have prices for older cars. The problem is going to be that the book value is so low (around $2k would be high retail for your truck) if you get in an accident they'll most likely total it because the value (their value) is less than the cost of repairing it.

If they do have some flexibility, put the value up as high as you can even if it does up your premium a little. I personally would rather pay a little more than have them come back and give me a check for $1200 when I've put much more into it.

Just my $0.02.

Tim

thanks for the help, i'm gonna try the golden book/ NADA thing and see what happens, we dont drive the truck alot so we were intending on the "show car" style insurance but until we get that far with it (dollar wise) we're just using our regular carrier's "classic" policy

thanks for the help, i'm gonna try the golden book/ NADA thing and see what happens, we dont drive the truck alot so we were intending on the "show car" style insurance but until we get that far with it (dollar wise) we're just using our regular carrier's "classic" policy

One thing that you may run into with classic (like Hagerty) insurance is that they do not allow your truck to be used as a truck - no hauling, towing, etc. If that will work it's a good way to go - I pay $100 a year for my Roadster.

Tim

For reference I have owned 2 520's, and 2 521's.

Having gone through this many times, here's the deal. To be totally honest, the truck isn't worth anything without paint. Maybe $500. Doesn't matter what else has been done, and unfortunately insurance doesn't care that it only has 70k on the original engine. Realistically it's a sub-$1k truck at the moment. With paint the value would probably be anywhere from $2-5K, depending on how nice the engine bay and interior are. It's all about the looks for them.

Most classic insurance companies have a minimum. Hagerty, who is the most lenient of all, has a minimum of $3500. With these you have to show pictures of the truck, and "prove" how much it's worth using the pictures. Then your payment is based on the value of the truck. So, you wouldn't be able to use them either for insurance, due to the $3500 minimum. My Z and 510 are both Insured with Hagerty.

Now, with all that said, the easiest way to find a legitimate value for the insurance company would be to comb all of the for sale ads you can fine for a 520 pickup. Print them all off, and figure out what an average would be. My 1967 521, which was restored to factory and *MINT* sold for $4500, but the old and nasty driver I had went for $350.

Edited by yellowdatsun

Only problem with insuring it as a " Show car " is it's only insured for that, I would check into that heavily if that's the route you're gonna go. I know some insurance companies will only cover damages that occur if at shows and you may be required to have special plates / tags that reflect.

Sadly, older cars / trucks like our beloved datsuns dont carry over much value and will be totaled out with the least amount of damaged involved.

I currently have Hagerty Insurance on my truck. Full coverage $100,000 comp and collision, theft, and uninsured. If something happens to my truck the total value is $8,000. It costs me $220 a year.

Now the down side.

Must have truck locked up behind at least a 6 foot fence or garaged it can not be visible from the street at night unless at a show or traveling, May only drive it 3,000 mile a year. It is covered at shows. There are a few other things like if you upgrade anything you must provide pictures if you want it covered and your rate may go up, if you alter the body (cut, add, remove, change color) or engine in any way you must provide pictures.

I have been looking at Grundy insurance. Its a little more but you can drive up to 10,000 miles a year and from what I heard if you have a claim they have somebody on site within 24 hours to see the damage. Hagerty It could be up to a month.

Grundy also does kit cars so pretty much anything goes as long as it can be registered and has a VIN issued by DMV or Highway Patrol.(at least in California)

Edited by 72 327
  • 3 weeks later...

State Farm agreed on a $3800 stated value policy for my truck. I pay like $6.12/mo for full coverage. Then again its not a primary vehicle so its cheaper but I have a 5,000 mile a year limit (I've driven about 1200 miles in the 2 1/2 years I've had it).