510 hardline fittings etc where to get????

jesusno2

ok i searched every auto parts store in my vacinity today. trying to find the parts to replace my hard lines to the rear brakes on my goon. as far as i can tell the lines are 3/16 with a single flare with 10mm x 100 fittings. I have to replace the long section that runs the lenght of the car from the firewll to the rear axle ,and the soft line to the axle. then to the rear calipers (zx rear discs) where's a good place to find this hardline and fittings the rest i can have softlines or braided lines made. i would like to run softlines from the T on the axle to the calipers with banjo fittings. any recomendations for this stuff i searched online but im still seeing mostly standard double flare stuff.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i searched every auto parts store in my vacinity today. trying to find the parts to replace my hard lines to the rear brakes on my goon. as far as i can tell the lines are 3/16 with a single flare with 10mm x 100 fittings. I have to replace the long section that runs the lenght of the car from the firewll to the rear axle ,and the soft line to the axle. then to the rear calipers (zx rear discs) where's a good place to find this hardline and fittings the rest i can have softlines or braided lines made. i would like to run softlines from the T on the axle to the calipers with banjo fittings. any recomendations for this stuff i searched online but im still seeing mostly standard double flare stuff.

You should be able to order the 3/16 line with correct metric fittings on the ends through Napa. But, as i have said before, Good luck finding a counterman that can find the correct part number to order.:fu:

And you need to be using double flare lines too.:D

The other way to do it is to buy the 3/16 line with ASE fittings on the ends and cut the end off and install metric fittings and then reflair.

Don't bother going and buying one of those cheap $20 flare kits, those will really piss you off.

Edited by yello620

When I was redoing the brake lines in my 320 every store near me had low stock of all brake lines. They seemed to have many of the short metric 3/16 and more of the long SAE. and British SAE. Of course it was an exercise in futility to ask if they had separate fittings so i bought the short metric lines to get the fittings and then the long of any other 3/16 line to get the line. Then I just cut and paste, so to speak. This was because I needed to get the truck on the road and didn't plan ahead. If I am taking my time and plan ahead I just order everything I want. Once you know that the store you are using can order the parts, even if one particular counter person can't figure out what to do, someone else there should be able to. I have even had stores that would just direct me back to the parts bins for brake fittings etc. Then I will usually give them a list of all the parts that are out of and politely ask something like " are you guys just not going to stock this stuff anymore or what" It is usually full up the next time I come in.

I must admit that I didn't read the whole thread but if someone hasn't mentioned yet, buy the best double flaring kit you can afford. The cheap ones just don't work, the ones you can rent or borrow from the parts stores are usually FUBAR. I have a cheap one, I think, used only once, that you can have for postage but I won't be doing you a favor, better to save the postage.

Edited by zenndog

You know I got a "cheap" double flare tool kit from sears because my back was to the wall at the time and it worked just fine. Don't even think it was 20 bucks I think it was 16 and change lol.

Maybe I was lucky Idk.

You know I got a "cheap" double flare tool kit from sears because my back was to the wall at the time and it worked just fine. Don't even think it was 20 bucks I think it was 16 and change lol.

Maybe I was lucky Idk.

Lucky, yes. Those cheap ones will usually give a few good flares before the tubing starts sliding down on the clamp. Once that happens, throw it away. You might save the little inserts for when you buy a good tool.

Idk I'll keep an eye out on your word but I just got done doing like 5 on my z and replaced all the brake lines on my moms grand prix. Still seems to be working fine.

I could see that being a prob though at some point or on I guess even cheaper ones like from autozone or something.

Edited by 72240z

I don't understand how there is such a strong neg opinion on something that has never failed me lol.

Don't doubt you guys, and I know full well the quality flare tools that exist. It's just that thing works every time I use it. I have gotten over 50 flares out of it, for 16ish dollars I would say it's more then paid itself off. Maybe the sears one isn't as garbage in the quality department.....