lowering the rear end

skunk

so i did use the search but i think some one says something about lowering in about every thread so i havnt found what im looking for really.

so when it comes to auto work i dont have my head up my ass but i am a novice.

i want to lower the rear of my truck 2" - 3" thats it,

is this the kind of thing i can do myself,

what parts/kits/tools would i need to get this job done and were can i get them at a ratsun price

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

drop blocks. thats how i have always lowered my trucks. you should be able to pick up blocks at your local parts house. i KNOW you can get em from Autozone, if you have one. i was looking at a 3 inch kit and ti ran like $40 or so.

you can drop it with normal hand tools but air works best. i dont know exact sizes as one trucks been lowered already and the other hasn't been touched YET.

Lowering can be done by removing a spring. A lot of work plus the spring won't carry as much weight, and worse, it will allow the truck to sag lower on dips in the road. On a truck that is now sitting lower, you do not want it traveling closer to the ground on a dip. Softer rear springs will also increase the tendency for the truck to oversteer.

A better method is to use blocks between the axle and the springs. This effectively lowers the body without affecting the spring rates. Usually the U bolts are removed the axle raised (body lowered) and the block installed. New longer U bolts installed.

In all case where the body height is altered the angle of the driveshaft will also be affected. This will increase the angle of the U joints as well and can cause vibration.

• 4 weeks later...

Question,, my rear is lowered 3" with lowering blocks and original leaf springs,,

i want to lower it more without adding lowering blocks coz the blocks mite hit the ground already..

do i just have to replace the leaf springs or should i take out 1 leaf spring just to make it softer so it'll drop lower?? if so, which leaf spring??

thanx,,

my truck is running a main spring, and overload spring, and 3 inch lowering blocks. if i were u i would just start with the blocks.

installing blocks...

1. jack up truck under frame and set on jack stands

2.put jack under rear diff untill its supported by the jack

3.remove nuts from U-bolts

4.remove u bolts

5.jack up rear axle 3 inches

6. insert a block in between leaf springs and axle on both sides

note:blocks will have a hole in the bottom and a nub on the top there is a bolt on top of leafs that gos in hole and a hole in bottom of axle to insert the nub on top of block.(self explanatory)

7. make sure you are lined up good

8.replace old u bolts with new ones that are 3 inches longer to incorporate blocks(MAKE SURE YOU BUY A KIT THAT COMES WITH BLOCKS AND NEW U BOLTS) this kit is only 20 bucks at schucks/kragens

9. tighten everything very snug to make for a nicer ride and to eliminate any unwanted sounds.

10.good luck should take about 30 minutes

Brooks discount auto parts on Franklin has several of these kits and the U-bolts too. :)

Don't get too crazy to start, I want to say at 3" you're beginning to mess with pinion angle and can start causing yourself accelerated wear on U-joints and stuff. I know datzenmike posted about it somewhere. If the U-bolts end up too long you'll need to saw some of the excess off. Leave 1/2" - 3/4", and then force a short piece of vacuum or fuel line over the end of the studs. This will help to keep the threads from getting severely beat up.

Have you picked up some additional tools? Have fun!

Ive never actually done this but I hear if you reverse the stock leafs it will lower it and keep it stiff. I think if you reverse the second to largest leaf it will give you another 3" drop and if you want less than that you can reverse one of the smaller ones.

And its free!

no i havnt got any blocks yes, i need to get rubber on my wheels to see how much i can even lower the truck, the tires are going to stick out of the fenders so yeah

If you're running 15" wheels, 205-50-15's fit nicely, since you don't plan on taking it down too far they make a great fit if your offset isnt so large that it makes them stick out past the fenders. could also run a 195/185-50-15 if your going for that low-profile look.

If you're running 15" wheels, 205-50-15's fit nicely, since you don't plan on taking it down too far they make a great fit if your offset isnt so large that it makes them stick out past the fenders. could also run a 195/185-50-15 if your going for that low-profile look.

i was told a 235 would be the smallest i could go with a 8.5 wide wheel and that theres no way a 195 would fit.

and yes they do stick out with the offset, im thinking about rolling the fenders a bit and slapin some flares on it.