what size tires for stock 521 wheels?

vindats1

ok guys and gals...finally got some stock 521 wheels (thanks Ted), (sorry Hainz) and would now like some advice as to what size tires to buy. Thinking about trying to lower the truck a bit eventually and would love to play autocross just for fun eventually, so...something with stiffer sides?

thanks for advice...Tana

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 521 has the slotted mags so i can't help with stock wheel tire size. but if you're planning on lowering it and want a lil better performance, def get a shorter sidewall. the good thing about keeping the relatively small rim size is cheaper prices on tires, thus allowing you to get a more aggresive tire with minimal price difference. when i got new tires on my 620 a few years ago, i wasn't sure what size to go with as the po had two different size tires installed, so i just went to the tire place and said i want 4 tires, same size, cheaper is better... they pulled the old tires and figured out what would work on the rim, gave me some options and i picked the ones i liked.

i agree on the 205/60's for stock height and any higher would be fine, but if you're gonna lower it more than 2 inches i would go smaller side wall... i like kiz's idea :D then again i just like azenis... or better yet spend a buck a wheel and get yokohama pirada spec 2's... mmmmm amazing on a street machine, pretty good on autocross specific vehicle. my personal experience with pirada spec 2's was in the passenger seat of a first gen vw scirroco with a fully tuned suspension, stripped rear interior and a quick ratio tranny on a mildly built 1.8 motor, even in the rain it was on rails. probably a lil lighter than a 521, but there were two of us in the car and he was low on gas so... maybe equal? my point being i've actually ridden on a set of these tires and they are way beyond what the average commuter needs, and very good for the person that likes to occasionally (every other day) thrash on their light appropriately powered daily driver. altho they are a lil expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

but it's def what 71-521 said, it's the look you're going for, you could mix the 195's and the 205's and get a little baby pro street look.

depending on if i stop scratching my butt and make a decision for the ride height of mine... i'm thinking of a few different tire setups. for whatever reason i like the look of the military style jeep tires and would use those if i decide to raise it above stock, if i keep it slightly below stock i'm gonna go with a very mildly mis-matched set and if i decide to slam it i'm going with different rims and low-pro performance tires. my .02

The stock tire for a 620 is 6.00 X 14". What this is in metric, I haven't a clue. Tried to crass reference this old method of measurement and gave up. These would have been nylon ply tires which had a stiffer side wall than the 'newer' radials.

1 inch = 2.5 cm

6" = 15.0cm = 150 mm

that however does not tell us the sidewall height, which is expressed as a ratio of the width... why do they do that anyway? seems odd to have two actual measurements and then throw a ratio in there. oh well.