any datsuns in bc for sale?

ROAD TRIP! Down to my place Rich. Had a '68 back in the day. My first Datsun so impressed me that I bought a new B-210 that year. I was used to big V8 cars but the 510 was like like something you slipped into and wore. Nimble and just plain FUN to drive. You are so lucky. :fu:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Right on Rich,

Glad it worked out for you.

Was it Ian Yates(I think that was his last name)car did he used to have a 68?

Betcha get it running by the end of the day!!

Edited by 510freak

Wrong marker lights,grill and wipers but, who knows after all these years. Could be a '70-'73 but I'll say a '72. Ah, re reading the post I think he mentions a '71.

Edited by datzenmike
Guest 510kamikazifreak
Wrong marker lights,grill and wipers but, who knows after all these years. Could be a '70-'73 but I'll say a '72. Ah, re reading the post I think he mentions a '71.

:unsure:

Mike are you refering to the post I made about 68?,

If so if its the Ian I think,He "used"to have a 68 before.

ROAD TRIP! Down to my place Rich. Had a '68 back in the day. My first Datsun so impressed me that I bought a new B-210 that year. I was used to big V8 cars but the 510 was like like something you slipped into and wore. Nimble and just plain FUN to drive. You are so lucky. :fu:

thanx mike i feel lucky!

so today i checked the compression

#1=150lbs

#2=170

#3=150

#4=60

is it posible that the valves are not seating well and thats why the compression is down?

the odom has 70,000 miles on it the block is clean with a bit of oil leaking from the valve cover

i pulled the valve cover to have a peak and the chain is way streatched or maybe there is a broken tentioner or guide?

the plug electrode in #4 was a ball of corosion

so ya just thinking what options i have?

i have a strong L20 it came out of my truck but i didnt check its compression and now it sits with no head on it. the u-67 that was on it has been re done.

im thinking i would like to keep the L16 for the fact that the exhaust is in nice shape and with the L20 in there i would have to mod it a bit (no biggie though)but with that one i dont know how good it realy is?

hmmmm?

so ya?

i gotta think about this

i like the fact that it is the original motor and ive never had a L16 so thats kinda exciting.

maybe i shoud just pull the block and get it to the machine shop and get it cleaned up?

the head is a 210?never heard that before?

i already have a timing chain kit for an L16,18 also

now i guess i should eat something

and hey lou thanx for the hook-up man i will be forever greatfull!

Right on Rich,

Glad it worked out for you.

Was it Ian Yates(I think that was his last name)car did he used to have a 68?

Betcha get it running by the end of the day!!

the last name doesnt ring a bell i would have to check the old reg.

he did say that he has had many 510's though.

thanx again bud i'll buy you a beer some time lol!or even better than that maybe we will take a cruize down kitsuksis way when i get her running!

thanx mike i feel lucky!

so today i checked the compression

#1=150lbs

#2=170

#3=150

#4=60

is it posible that the valves are not seating well and thats why the compression is down?

the odom has 70,000 miles on it the block is clean with a bit of oil leaking from the valve cover

i pulled the valve cover to have a peak and the chain is way streatched or maybe there is a broken tentioner or guide?

the plug electrode in #4 was a ball of corosion

so ya just thinking what options i have?

i have a strong L20 it came out of my truck but i didnt check its compression and now it sits with no head on it. the u-67 that was on it has been re done.

im thinking i would like to keep the L16 for the fact that the exhaust is in nice shape and with the L20 in there i would have to mod it a bit (no biggie though)but with that one i dont know how good it realy is?

hmmmm?

so ya?

i gotta think about this

i like the fact that it is the original motor and ive never had a L16 so thats kinda exciting.

maybe i shoud just pull the block and get it to the machine shop and get it cleaned up?

the head is a 210?never heard that before?

i already have a timing chain kit for an L16,18 also

now i guess i should eat something

and hey lou thanx for the hook-up man i will be forever greatfull!

Was #4 rusty?

Set the motor so that both cam lobes on #4 are upward at about 10 and 2 o'clock. Now grab each rocker and wiggle up and down. There should be some very very slight movement. No movement might mean that the valve has no clearance and cannot close properly. Adjust to about 0.010" and prey that if an exhaust that it isn't burnt from running like that for too long.

A 210 head is a standard stock L16 head and nothing to write home about.

Shine a flashlight down the chain guide... can you see the tensioner? In, out or missing?

ok so i realized that without fuel you dont get a proper reading on the compression guage so i gave a shot of wd40 into the cylinders through the spark plug sockets and these are the results

#1=168

#2=180

#3=160

#4=160

so ya im stoked!new revised plan is remove old head install u-67 and new timing chain oil filter webber and away we go!

oh and ya mike the tentioner and guides are all there so the chain is just streatched and the tops of all pistons looked black and not rusty so im gonna go take off the head now.

Edited by polski ogorki
forgot something (duh im fukin dumb)

That's awesome Rich, nice going! Shouldn't take much to get that puppy running! The 210 head is the stock L13/L16 head, little valves, tiny ports, but, runs forever! The L20b shouldn't take any mods to fit save for the exhaust might have to be extended a bit to clear the firewall because of the 19mm taller block height. Keep us going man!

ok so ive been reading the bible(how to keep your datsun alive by colin messer)and he said that the "wet test" which i just did with the spuirt of oil in the cylinders before testing will coat the cylinder walls with enough oil to compensate for piston ring wear.if the #'s go up 10 or more lbs,either worn or broken broken rings or worn pistons or cylinder bores are indicated. so this means im pulling her out and getting her re done.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Woot Rich,Nice to get the hidden extras

Try to get the 16 running first,Did he say it was worked at all?

Us old time dimers liked 16's,

Might have flat tops(never know)

Is the 210 cast on the side or front of the head?

Now is the time to hit the local wally world for the hot wheels 510's

If you cant find one I'll give you a black one seem to have 30 plus of them :blink:

Only 5 coppers and 2 blue tho:eek:

Really glad you got the car,and you are stoked !!!

Thats what its all about man!!!!!

:cool:

Edited by 510freak

The 210 combustion chamber is smaller than the U-67 so installing it will drop the L16 compression..... a lot. Maybe have it milled. You need to reduce the combustion chamber about 7cc. (about 1.5mm 0.060" would be just over and about right)

Jumping from 60 to 150 tells me a valve was just sticky or dusty and cleared itself out. Nice comp. BTW!

The U-67 has an L20B cam which is almost identical to the SSS L16 cam.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

And a nice "old school" mod to hop the 16 a bit,that and zed flat tops do make for decent,reliable abusable(without grief)power.:D

Not big numbers but will still bring a smile to your face in the corners!!

Woot Rich,Nice to get the hidden extras

Try to get the 16 running first,Did he say it was worked at all?

Us old time dimers liked 16's,

Might have flat tops(never know)

Is the 210 cast on the side or front of the head?

Now is the time to hit the local wally world for the hot wheels 510's

If you cant find one I'll give you a black one seem to have 30 plus of them :blink:

Only 5 coppers and 2 blue tho:eek:

Really happy that you got the car and happy with it..

Thats what its all about man!!!!!

:cool:

thanx ya i was checkin out when all you guys were going off with the hot wheels and laughing my ass off! i would love one only if you can spare one of them lol . so the 210 stamp is on the side of the head and as far as flat tops i dont think the granny that owned it for 30yrs put any in and Iain didnt do a thing to the motor my plan for now is block out in to get it rebuilt if its not too far gone and im going to put on my u-67 head thats rebuilt and a new timing chain and all the rest of that good stuff and ill be rollin!ill have to check out the cluth of course and pressure plate flywheel

Guest 510kamikazifreak
thanx ya i was checkin out when all you guys were going off with the hot wheels and laughing my ass off! i would love one only if you can spare one of them lol . so the 210 stamp is on the side of the head and as far as flat tops i dont think the granny that owned it for 30yrs put any in and Iain didnt do a thing to the motor my plan for now is block out in to get it rebuilt if its not too far gone and im going to put on my u-67 head thats rebuilt and a new timing chain and all the rest of that good stuff and ill be rollin!ill have to check out the cluth of course and pressure plate flywheel

One of the black hot wheels has your name on it.

Oh hmm I thought he may have pulled wrench on it a bit..

You will lose power with the u on it..

Stick a new chain etc on it,If its as low miles as it says shpould still be good

Its just hitting break in time..:D

The 210 combustion chamber is smaller than the U-67 so installing it will drop the L16 compression..... a lot. Maybe have it milled. You need to reduce the combustion chamber about 7cc. (about 1.5mm 0.060" would be just over and about right)

Jumping from 60 to 150 tells me a valve was just sticky or dusty and cleared itself out. Nice comp. BTW!

so do you think the block is usable? should i shave the head like you said and replace the chain and see how she goes? i would rather save the money and headache pulling the motor thats for sure! i mean i could just put in the new chain and tentioner and guides and sprockets i have new plugs and oil and filter

One of the black hot wheels has your name on it.

Oh hmm I thought he may have pulled wrench on it a bit..

You will lose power with the u on it..

Stick a new chain etc on it,If its as low miles as it says shpould still be good

Its just hitting break in time..:D

i think your right i should do the chain and see?

ive got nothing to loose!

and hey thats easy shit!

Guest 510kamikazifreak
i think your right i should do the chain and see?

ive got nothing to loose!

and hey thats easy shit!

Yep its as easy as shit!

Its a L motor ,I have picked up 510s that have sat for 10 years,lubed them up ,changed the the essentials.Flash em up they run great!!

One I had is still running around on the same motor that sat for 7 years(not mine now tho)

but its still running strong..It even did a trip to shasta lol

*edit*

That car did a trip to LA and back only needed points!!!!!!!

Edited by 510freak
Yep its as easy as shit!

Its a L motor ,I have picked up 510s that have sat for 10 years,lubed them up ,changed the the essentials.Flash em up they run great!!

One I had is still running around on the same motor that sat for 7 years(not mine now tho)

but its still running strong..It even did a trip to shasta lol

*edit*

That car did a trip to LA and back only needed points!!!!!!!

nice ya well i might aswell give it a whirl i have all the things for that right here hey what about the webber the linkage on the 510's is not a cable like the trucks are. im thinking that the stock linkage might be able to swap over to the webber?

Guest 510kamikazifreak
nice ya well i might aswell give it a whirl i have all the things for that right here hey what about the webber the linkage on the 510's is not a cable like the trucks are. im thinking that the stock linkage might be able to swap over to the webber?

Give it a shot..

yeh the linkage will swap no problem..

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:eek:

3 days and nights of hardcore wrenchin and she is alive!

im so fuking high right now on adrenaline!

i havent checked the compression since she has been running but i will get to that and a valve adjust even though they are quiet

so i changed the timing chain,fixed the e-brake,checked the brakes(all brand new like zero miles on them),i put in a new master cyl,flushed and bled the brakes,changed the oil,new fuel filter,tank was mt so i just filled it with fuel,all new hoses under the hood,new plugs and the cap,roter and wires are new,oh and put my webber on and she runs like a top! there is mint 2" exhaust and it sounds great!i will get some pix up soon but for now i have to go drive it!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.