L series efi

dimedude

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats such a complete swap. I bet we won't be seeing another like that for a lonnnnnnnng time.

The harness is hard wired to the ecu? That was some nice forethought by nissan engineers lol

Edited by 72240z

Any reason to consider this an "SSS", or is it just the normal JDM FI setup? Different ECU, bigger valves, something?

Pic #11, the closeup of the A87 cast into the head - does it look like the white paper/cloth in the foreground is in front of the bottom of the head partially covering the letters (odd thing to do in a pic), or could the head have been milled so much the bottom of the head is cutting into the letters? If milled that much, wouldn't this head need a stack of cam tower shims, head gasket shim, and maybe lower compression pistons in order to run, at least on pump gas?

Len

Any reason to consider this an "SSS", or is it just the normal JDM FI setup? Different ECU, bigger valves, something?

Pic #11, the closeup of the A87 cast into the head - does it look like the white paper/cloth in the foreground is in front of the bottom of the head partially covering the letters (odd thing to do in a pic), or could the head have been milled so much the bottom of the head is cutting into the letters? If milled that much, wouldn't this head need a stack of cam tower shims, head gasket shim, and maybe lower compression pistons in order to run, at least on pump gas?

Len

The SSS is for the extra cash when people are tricked :rolleyes: There isn't anything SSS about this that I have ever heard of, just strictly JDM. I noticed that about the head too. They may have done this to bump up compression. It would need cam tower shims, but that's it as far as I know. Not sure why you would need a head gasket shim, and it would likely run on pump gas just fine. Closed chambers will run on pump 87 octane just fine and this is an open chamber. I can't imagine the milling of the head would raise the compression of an open chamber more the a stock closed chamber.

The only odd thing I was thinking is I have never heard of the JDM EFI ever coming on an A87 head. Everything I have read says it comes with the W58. I think someone modified this head to use with the EFI.

wow thats 2 efi set ups in less than week i was bidding on one monday morning it was only the manifold though not all the extras

This is what I would prefer. Just the manifold. But I guess for those wanting period correct, or plug and play the kit would be better. I bought mine with all the mechanical stuff, no electronics, and only used the manifold so I could use the little bits and pieces I liked.

I noticed it looks like this manifold doesn't have the EGR stuff like mine. Makes me jealous. I still have to cut off my EGR castings, saves some room on the crowded side of the engine bay.

Edited by heirfaus

I'll admit when it comes to combustion chamber volume and how it affects compression ratios, my knowledge is pretty thin. However, I have a W53 closed chambered head I took to my machine shop for rebuilding. He called back and said it had been milled enough (I think it was .060 in.) it would likely have detonation problems. When I picked the head up, he showed me a spot where the head gasket had started to eat through between cylinders from pinging. Maybe he is mistaken about my head being milled too much, but he seems pretty sharp on engines. And yeah, mine is a close chambered head, but if a head is milled enough to cut into the letters, it would be a huge amount, way more than 60 thou. On my monitor, I can't tell if the auction A87 head is open or closed chamber. I need a bigger or better monitor. And the more I look at the pic of the A87 letters, the more I think the white paper/cloth is blocking the lower part of the head. However, if I were bidding and paying $500 with shipping, I would email the seller and find out the head height. I would also post a question here on Ratsun about how much a head can be milled.I know there is a spec for height, and Datsun recommends only milling a certain amount from this. Of course that "rule" can be broken with different timing, higher octane gas, etc., but I suspect there is a limit to how much can be milled. Again, I don't have a good answer to all this, so do your homework prospective eBay bidders. And don't let me scare you off from this head. There may be nothing wrong with it. And even if the head is a doorstop or you already have a better head, it might be worth it for the manifold and other stuff.

I thought the "SSS" might be a bit of colorful marketing, but again, I don't know much about JDM FI setups. Any idea what horsepower this might turn out? About the same as a Z20e maybe?

Len

I'll admit when it comes to combustion chamber volume and how it affects compression ratios, my knowledge is pretty thin. However, I have a W53 closed chambered head I took to my machine shop for rebuilding. He called back and said it had been milled enough (I think it was .060 in.) it would likely have detonation problems. When I picked the head up, he showed me a spot where the head gasket had started to eat through between cylinders from pinging. Maybe he is mistaken about my head being milled too much, but he seems pretty sharp on engines. And yeah, mine is a close chambered head, but if a head is milled enough to cut into the letters, it would be a huge amount, way more than 60 thou. On my monitor, I can't tell if the auction A87 head is open or closed chamber. I need a bigger or better monitor. And the more I look at the pic of the A87 letters, the more I think the white paper/cloth is blocking the lower part of the head. However, if I were bidding and paying $500 with shipping, I would email the seller and find out the head height. I would also post a question here on Ratsun about how much a head can be milled.I know there is a spec for height, and Datsun recommends only milling a certain amount from this. Of course that "rule" can be broken with different timing, higher octane gas, etc., but I suspect there is a limit to how much can be milled. Again, I don't have a good answer to all this, so do your homework prospective eBay bidders. And don't let me scare you off from this head. There may be nothing wrong with it. And even if the head is a doorstop or you already have a better head, it might be worth it for the manifold and other stuff.

I thought the "SSS" might be a bit of colorful marketing, but again, I don't know much about JDM FI setups. Any idea what horsepower this might turn out? About the same as a Z20e maybe?

Len

I feel pretty confident that the A87 in the picture is open or at least a semi-open chamber, and my speculation about running on pump gas is exactly that, just speculation. Chambers would have to be CC'ed. And yes, I don't think a peanut head milled .060 would run on 87 octane...in my unprofessional opinion.

L18E was 115 hp @ 6200rpm, compared to 105 hp for a standard L18, and is even more horspower than the twin-carb L18T. This was Japan market specs.

And Yes, the Datsun 610 SSS-E was the first Datsun to get the EFI, a year before the 280Z.

Seriously? hmm, I wish there was more info on this subject :( I have read multiple places that the late production 1973 model year 510 L18 was the first JDM EFI. And wow, 10 hp just from EFI that's impressive! Kinda hard to believe it is more than an L18 turbo though, and is this L18T a production motor? I would love to find all of this info in print somewhere, but not sure that will happen....:(