Dreamsicle datsuns

areese240z

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heeeyyyyyy..... have those z's been parked in a business lot off of 17th St. east of placentia?? swear i've seen those for the last few weeks! they're gone at night, so they're driven daily for sure.

if so, I'm so comin over. We're off of 19th & Placentia

I am new to the thread thing, so I apologize for the duplicate pics. :o I had a PM asking for a little more info on this wagon. I have a 1972 510 wagon 022 Orange, with white interior. The fact that I own 2 such colored vehicles, is no coincidence. I bought my 1973 240Z in Indiana 918 Orange, black interior. Tried to restore it , but picked the wrong shade of orange.:(

Then I decided the black interior was like driving in a cave, so I changed it to white.Two years ago I decided I was finally time to find a 510 wagon. I sat down at the computer,and asked Google. I typed in Datsun 510 wagon orange for sale. There was an ad on Craigs List for this wagon asking 2,500. It had an l20b, dogleg 5 speed, LSD,and Weber DVG 32/36. The engine had less than 4,000 miles on an overhaul, and no rust. I called the guy to ask what color interior he said white, I said sold! I know I got lucky I've tried searching Google again and never repeated the results. :D I would like to tell you a hardship story of how bad the wagon was , but to tell the truth it was in decent shape. I decided to have the seats recovered to appear stock. I thought the white seats had a beige basketweave insert,so I changed the carpet to brown and dyed the dash to go with them. I only recently discovered the beige color in the seats was due to age, my whole color scheme was based on a lie.:eek: I like the results anyway.:cool: My husband did the body and paint on all our Datsuns. Creamsicle,Dreamsicle,50/50 bar, I guess it depends on what part of the country you are from.

Audrey

Edited by areese240z

The other two belong to my husband a 76' 280z, and a 1980zx aniversary, which he painted green and gold instead of the black and gold. They are both for sale right now(he wants to get a different one) I will probably be buried with mine, but his will come and go. I also have a 98 Nissan truck, thank goodness for a long driveway.

:D Thank you I have been working on it with my husband for two years. Eagle Rock was its first showing. I still have things to do to it. I am going to do the brake upgrade, and lower it a little. I just bought some white faces for the gauges, Nardi wood wheel, and repaint the engine compartment. That will wrap it up for the wagon. Which means I have to start restoring my 240z again!:eek:

Audrey

My cars name is Pumpkin- This was my 1st love. I was living in the late 80's in sticksville, Indiana a GM area, when I encountered my 1st 240Z. It was actually a pair of them on their way to the junk yard. One obviously a parts car the other a light green metalic with a black vinyl top and spoked wheels. It looked to be in decent shape(I innocently thought)having no automotive skills. I aquired them both for $75. and being broke was hoping for alot of help from my boyfriend to get the one running. I was smitten and logged alot of hours behind the wheel of a stationary car waiting for the day I could actually drive it. Sometimes just listening to the radio or playing with the still operating power antenna. I just liked the lines, the cute chrome mirror,and wooden steering wheel.

I had unfortunately placed my money on the wrong horse, because months went by without any serious attempts to get the car running. Then after about a year,the shoe finally fell, a friend advised me that the car had enough rust damage on the rails that restoring it would be unlikely. I decided then I would keep an eye open for one I could fix. In California this would not be a problem, but I lived in the Midwest, were salt from the roads eliminates all careless owners and even the not so careless.

My cars name is Pumpkin, I purchased her from an ex navy guy in 1998 for 1,400. It had taken 10 years to find another one I could restore. It was an orange 73 that was purchased in southern Cal, dragged to the Midwest and stored. It had little rust, but had some real mechanical problems. I hated the orange, but living were I did at the time didn't allow for any fussiness. It's funny now because I have now come to prefer orange over all others. I still had one other problem, I was with the same guy, who was always to busy to help before. I decided it was time for me to learn some auto repair. I bought some books, and asked questions from those who did know. I started with a timing chain kit and kept going. It turned out the engine was shot. Chunks of piston had scored the cylinders and found their way into the oil pan. I had aquired a 280Z with a decent engine, but the body was rusted in two. I pulled the engine, overhauled it, and threw it back in. It started the 1st time I cranked it over (once the gas hit the carbs),and has been running since then. It was much more complicated then that, but I've put 70,000. miles on it since then. It has a 280z block with a N42 head, mild cam, headers,and twin SU's. There was nothing else on the car that really functioned properly, but it was a great learning experience. I towed it with my Nissan truck, all the way back to California in 2002 were my now husband has recently repainted it. I have gone full circle, unfortunately for Pumpkin her floor pans are now rusting and the bottom of the rails need some help. I am putting the finishing touches on my wagon, and then it is time to start over on Pumpkin.

Audrey

I used Sem color coat for vinyl. The color is called Bluebird Brown, Yes you heard correctly Bluebird Brown:eek: I got the idea to dye the dash brown when I saw a brown dash piece for sale on Ebay. I had put beige basketweave inserts in my seats thinking that was stock , but Randy York said they were white but had turned beige. So I guess I antiqued my seats.:o I had placed brown carpet in it and then thought the dash looked out of place.:blink:

Audrey