Small block Ford powered Datsun owners!?!?

astro_ss_340

Hey, I know some people here have stuffed some 302's in there 521's or 620's

was wondering if I could see some install pics, would make it easier to see what I will be going through. I plan to sit the engine as far back as possible and use the stock rad for now witch a mechanical fan and an electric one in front of it too.

So far I have gutted the interior and cut a hole through my firewall and some of the floor out as well. And put some fat tires on the back, and I have lots of room for slicks with the Chev Rally Rims.

4.jpg

1-1.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, why not go with a sbc? youll make more power and you wont have to deal with the damn ford EFI system.

I am putting a 1969 289 into it, so there is no EFI. iTS same dimensions as a 302, 302 in the Datto is more common, even tho a Ford in a Datsun is not.

Putting a 350 chev in a Datsun is way harder than a small block Ford, chevs are longer, wider and the distributor is in the wrong place. Plus everyman and his dog puts a Smallblock Chev in everything. IMO the smallblock CHEV is the most overused and unoriginal engine, Plus my 2 barrel stock 289 has more HP than a stock 350 will ever dream of having. AND I AM A CHEVY GUY!

Edited by astro_ss_340
I am putting a 1969 289 into it, so there is no EFI. iTS same dimensions as a 302, 302 in the Datto is more common, even tho a Ford in a Datsun is not.

Putting a 350 chev in a Datsun is way harder than a small block Ford, chevs are longer, wider and the distributor is in the wrong place. Plus everyman and his dog puts a Smallblock Chev in everything. IMO the smallblock CHEV is the most overused and unoriginal engine, Plus my 2 barrel stock 289 has more HP than a stock 350 will ever dream of having. AND I AM A CHEVY GUY!

Kudos on the 289.. better power, better mpg, wont foul plugs, and higher on the coolness scale. I own a chev as well, but at heart will always be a Ford man. Well, still own a Ford or two.... both beat the S*&t outta Slopars! 'Cept I do have a soft spot for early Hemi's... and Datsuns, and Mazda Rotarys.. uhh.. man I like cars. And trucks. And motorcycles. And gopeds. And gas powered leaf blowers...:rolleyes:

Last time I was at parts world(roosevelt, ok) Basically the whole town is a junk yard) I happened across a 521 with a ford 260 in it. The next time i'm out there I could take some pictures for you if it would help.

And I resent the everybody puts a sbc in anything remark. I'm putting a 350/700r4 combo in my bagged and bodydropped 620 KC.

Last time I was at parts world(roosevelt, ok) Basically the whole town is a junk yard) I happened across a 521 with a ford 260 in it. The next time i'm out there I could take some pictures for you if it would help.

And I resent the everybody puts a sbc in anything remark. I'm putting a 350/700r4 combo in my bagged and bodydropped 620 KC.

hahha, because everyone does use Chevy, or mostly anyways. I'm not a Chevy guy and don't know much about them really, but they are readily available, cheap if your near stock and most common thing used so someone else has probably already done it and there might even be a kit or was at one time for it.

I meant no offense to anyone in particular, I just have to be different is all. And yes I would greatly appreciate those pictures.

I am building a 5.0 into my project 521 truck. i am not doing the typical build though. I am going to be using alot of the miata firewall/floorpan. but i will tell you its still going to be VERY tight with a radiator in there and PUSHER fans. good luck fitting the mechanical in there. you will be pressing the accelorator with your knee if you use the mechanical fan

.... Plus my 2 barrel stock 289 has more HP than a stock 350 will ever dream of having. AND I AM A CHEVY GUY!

Hang on, you're kidding, right? A 210 hp 289 is more powerful than a 255 hp 2bbl 350? BTW love the light small high revving 289. A buddy had a HI PO 271 horse K code '65 Mustang back in the '60s.... nice.

Hang on, you're kidding, right? A 210 hp 289 is more powerful than a 255 hp 2bbl 350? BTW love the light small high revving 289. A buddy had a HI PO 271 horse K code '65 Mustang back in the '60s.... nice.

ok if I were to find an actual muscle car 350 it would have that............ but a newer carbed stock one would be lucky to have 150 maybe 175hp.

Plus I have a blower for it, but have no experience supercharging an engine that already has 10.5 compression ratio, and I don't want to have to run AV gas all the time lol. I would imagine I would most likely need an intercooler and water methanol injection to boot, but I will worry about that later as I have to get it all together first lol

ok if I were to find an actual muscle car 350 it would have that............ but a newer carbed stock one would be lucky to have 150 maybe 175hp.

Plus I have a blower for it, but have no experience supercharging an engine that already has 10.5 compression ratio, and I don't want to have to run AV gas all the time lol. I would imagine I would most likely need an intercooler and water methanol injection to boot, but I will worry about that later as I have to get it all together first lol

pls take lots of pics during this build :D

Not really, with no reference pic how can anyone tell anything. Just sayin lol......

well i gutted the interior and cut a big hole lol

here is how I found the Datsun

datsun.JPG

After I got it home

athome.JPG

net1.JPG

stock.JPG

Put some chevy rally rims on it, then washed it LMAO, this is not photoshopped!

washed.JPG

I think this was from Wikipedia, sorry I was in a hurry and it was the closest to what I meant to say:

"Prior to the 1972 model year, American automakers rated and advertised their engines in brake horsepower (bhp), frequently referred to as SAE gross horsepower. SAE gross hp was measured using a stock test engine, generally running with few belt-driven accessories and sometimes fitted with long tube (test headers) in lieu of the OEM exhaust manifolds. The atmospheric correction standards for barometric pressure, humidity and temperature for testing were relatively idealistic.

In the United States, the term bhp fell into disuse in 1971-72, as automakers began to quote power in terms of SAE net horsepower. However, the SAE net hp testing protocol calls for standard production-type belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, emission controls, exhaust system, and other power-consuming accessories. This produces ratings in closer alignment with the power produced by the engine as it is actually configured and sold. The change to net hp effectively deflated power ratings to assuage the auto insurance industry and environmental and safety lobbies."

We are comparing apples and oranges here.

Edited by datzenmike

Basically what I was saying is a 1969 289 has more power because its of the era when there was no smog control, higher compression, and bigger valves.

If I were to grab any old 350 chev out of a truck or car from the 70's it would be a crappy ass low compression engine with a crappy set of restrictive heads, poor intake, crappy carb, ect.

So in a sense yes I was comparing apples and oranges.....but.......... If I would have worded myself correctly in the previous post then I would not be writing this now.

And, one of my pet peeves is copying and pasting quotes, please put them in quotation marks with the author. I know you were not posting them as your own words, but there are lots of people that do, and......well....they look like weiners.

Edited by astro_ss_340