rust prevention

izzo

after i scrape the hold head gasket off, both the head and the block, and clean the cylinder walls & hone them. Can i use wd40 to keep it from rusting? Or is there something else that i should use? dont want that stuff to rust up before i get to building it...

also, if i use wd40 should it be cleaned off before assembly/running or will it not hurt anything. I wouldnt think it would mix well with oil :D

Edited by h2theizzo
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Fluid Film. Stays on the metal better than WD40 which is too "thin". But it really depends on how long it's gonna sit. Couple days to a week, WD is OK. Up to a year, Fluid Film. Over a year, pack in cosmoline and bag it.

Kidding about the cosmoline- it's WWII vintage, though it's good stuff- we have stuff that was packed in it 65 years ago that's still good.

WD-40 is just mineral oil with an aromatic hydrocarbon solvent. If you are concerned just degrease with brake cleaner.

so its safe to use, and it wont hurt anything if i just throw the engine together and leave it? if i remember right ur supposed to change the oil after the first 500 miles anyways

I wouldn't leave it on mating surfaces like for the head gasket, like Mike said degrease it with brake clean. I use wax remover afterward to remove the film brake clean leaves.

I bought a m2 bmg barrel for a .50 project and it was packed in cosmoline, it really is good stuff.

I wouldn't leave it on mating surfaces like for the head gasket, like Mike said degrease it with brake clean. I use wax remover afterward to remove the film brake clean leaves.

I bought a m2 bmg barrel for a .50 project and it was packed in cosmoline, it really is good stuff.

ya def wont be leaving it on the head, main concern was if some of it got down into the pan, didnt want it hurting the bearings by not letting the oil do its job.

also was curious if the wd would stay on there for a period of time and keep it from rusting, or if it would evaporate and id find a rusty mess later.

what exactly is that M2 stuff?

I personally wouldn't leave any pools of it but wouldn't worry about residue though.

The M2 is a .50 machine gun

m2_machine-gun.jpg

You can turn down the barrel in a lathe for rifle use. There is a book on it called....

picture-23-5.png

I ended up selling it though and picking up a riffled and chambered blank. Just cant go any further on construction on the action until I'm sure of the legal ramifications lol.

I used WD40 on the first engine block I re-built. Left the block standing for a long time while I worked on other stuff. When I got back to it, there was fine rust in the bores. So now I rub gear oil onto new bores with a rag. Clean it off with engine cleaner when I'm ready.

Idk If I would call it retarded. NJ has the highest population density of any state, them not wanting to hand over reg papers to some guy who decided to build a .50 cal rifle is a good thing. It's hand guns that the laws are getting stricter on, the latest was only one per month can be registered, Idk that's still not THAT bad to me. There are some clip laws that are annoying like no banana clips etc... that kind of pisses me off. Other then that stuff though its not really bad at all considering the population and what not.

Cali on the other hand... shivers lol.

It's just complicated in this situation because It's all home build. What serial? What manufacturer? Certified? Blah blah, just trying to figure out wtf 1st instead of popping those last pieces in and being in possession.

Idk If I would call it retarded. NJ has the highest population density of any state, them not wanting to hand over reg papers to some guy who decided to build a .50 cal rifle is a good thing. It's hand guns that the laws are getting stricter on, the latest was only one per month can be registered, Idk that's still not THAT bad to me. There are some clip laws that are annoying like no banana clips etc... that kind of pisses me off. Other then that stuff though its not really bad at all considering the population and what not.

Cali on the other hand... shivers lol.

It's just complicated in this situation because It's all home build. What serial? What manufacturer? Certified? Blah blah, just trying to figure out wtf 1st instead of popping those last pieces in and being in possession.

Serial number, whatever is on the action.

Manufacturer, Possibly the action?

Model, "Custom"

Hope that helps.

Serial number, whatever is on the action.

Manufacturer, Possibly the action?

Model, "Custom"

Hope that helps.

I built the action, or most of it ;-). I'm trying to find out if I can just engrave my own serial or w/e for their records or if I have to go to a 3rd party. That may also kind of fall under the model section too because a 3rd party may assign that too if one is to be used. They are also handing me shit about the manufacturers need to be accredited or something like that.

It's hard because the people who tell you no (government) can't or won't give you a straight or correct answer as to why or how. It's like a giant circle jerk.

I'll figure it out and I'll be patient in the mean time. The build was for the challenge not really to spend 6 bucks a round blowing holes in w/e lol. Although it will be nice when I finally can. :lol:

I built the action, or most of it ;-). I'm trying to find out if I can just engrave my own serial or w/e for their records or if I have to go to a 3rd party. That may also kind of fall under the model section too because a 3rd party may assign that too if one is to be used. They are also handing me shit about the manufacturers need to be accredited or something like that.

It's hard because the people who tell you no (government) can't or won't give you a straight or correct answer as to why or how. It's like a giant circle jerk.

I'll figure it out and I'll be patient in the mean time. The build was for the challenge not really to spend 6 bucks a round blowing holes in w/e lol. Although it will be nice when I finally can. :lol:

Go to your nearest public library [if you are not already a NRA member], take down a recent copy of the American Rifleman and look under the competition sections [or hit the NRA web site], select one of the top competitors who almost always make their own actions and complete rifles and ask them for practical advice. Then there's always Barrett, he has been through all the BS!

• 3 weeks later...