lower control arm bolts

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my '80 510 the original A arm bolts were 10mm shafts, grade 8.9 and were pretty loose in the A-arm bushings. I replaced them with 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix engine mounting bolts that were 3/8 shaft (took up the slack in the bushing but still moved very freely) that were grade 10.9. I have no clue what size they are on a 620 but if they are a 10mm upgrades are as close as the top engine brackes/mounts on a GM 3.1 V6.

Control arm bolts are critical to safety. If you can't get them through your dealer, go to http://www.mcmaster.com. This is the website for McMaster-Carr, the best, in my opinion, supplier of real certified SAE and Metric bolts and nuts, not the counterfeit crap that sneaks onto the shelves of corner hardware stores no matter how hard they try to exclude the crap. I have stopped by their warehouse store in the San Fernando valley and bought fully certified and lot traced bolts for a spacecraft awaiting launch at Vandenberg AFB, you can trust their products! By the way, they have a terrific catalogue.

hey- I went to take t/c rods off today and 78 and 79 are different - take alook and tell me what is under your truck - does it have one bolt under the control arm, going to a little l bracket or 79 has it where there are 2 bolts holding it on to the control arm underneath. - let me know - and what bolts are you looking for ? Steve

the bolts go thru the control arm bushing that is in the frame, on one end a 19mm nut, at the other it is large and is indexable to match up to the torsion rod arm. the 2 smaller bolts hold the torsion arm to the control arm. you must remove/ pull back the torsion arm to get these out. ill get som pix later for those who can help. thanks guys

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.