620 Wiper Motor

copacetickid

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is everybody's wiper motor as loud and obnoxious as mine, or is there something wrong with it? What about your heater/vent motor?

Welcome to fall all you fellow Washingtonians...

Mine in my 620 was loud but for other reasons I mounted it outside the cab in the plenum below the pass wiper. Haven't heard from it since.

I would just replace with a less worn one or pack some sound deadener around it. Maybe grease all the linkage and the wiper spindles.

I moved mine to make room for the 720 heater, well the fan assy. actually. It fits just behind the glove box. I moved it forward outside the cab and you can see it just below the plenum grill. I trimmed a plastic ginger ale bottle to wrap around it and keep the rain off it. The linkages had to be shortened too. It was a desperate, difficult move, and I don't recommend it. On the plus side, it's quiet, I have the 720 heater that blows up a tornado out the vents and A 720 motor with variable pulse wiping and three speeds.

Oh, hey, Mike, the 620 wiper motor works with delay. The 720 delay module was external, there were no changes to how the motor is wired. In fact, you could get 620s with factory delay wipers in '78-79 (Deluxe KC only), though it was only one delay setting. To add it to a 620 that wasn't completely 720-wired, you'd just need the wiper wiring, the column switch/cover, and the delay module. I've considered trying to retrofit a 620 with the setup from one of my scrapped '81 510s, but that also means moving the headlight controls.

Certainly, but you'd have to deal with a couple other problems with the 510. Namely, the ignition switch being on the wrong side, and again the headlight wiring and wiper wiring would have to be redesigned (since like the 620 the PL510 had the switches in the dash, not on the column like the late 510/720). Of course, the aftermarket delays work too but they're a bit ugly. My '74 620 and my '68 520 both have aftermarket delays, they work, they work really well (I used the one on my '74 yesterday).

They're just the ugly little timer boxes you can get at any auto parts store or JC Whitney. Ignore the excess wire hanging in this pic...

520dash01.JPG

A bit hidden in the '74

74radio.jpg

They're cheap but functional. All they do is send a trigger pulse to the wiper motor, since the wipers park themselves it triggers one swipe. It's more complex on cars that have "hidden" wipers, but I don't know any Datsuns that had those. Since the setup works on my 520 I'm pretty sure they'd work on anything, so long as the wipers "park". Wouldn't have worked on my old Citation- the wipers stopped wherever you turned the switch off due to a broken parking circuit.

What interior mods? I don't have any interior mods... Just additions. Nothing like Mike's 720 with 620 sheetmetal.

Ouch!!! No... wait, (he's right, I'm a closet 720 owner in 620 disguise) Hey I feel better now that Doug outed me! 720 PRIDE!!!!!

Oh, hey, Mike, the 620 wiper motor works with delay. The 720 delay module was external, there were no changes to how the motor is wired. In fact, you could get 620s with factory delay wipers in '78-79 (Deluxe KC only), though it was only one delay setting. To add it to a 620 that wasn't completely 720-wired, you'd just need the wiper wiring, the column switch/cover, and the delay module. I've considered trying to retrofit a 620 with the setup from one of my scrapped '81 510s, but that also means moving the headlight controls.

Doug, we never got the Delux option up here anyway. Did not know about pre 720 delays. I used the 720 motor 'cause it plugged right in and has 3speeds, the 620 only has 2 doesn't it? I have the 720 4X4 wire harness and it used to have only one setting called 'mist' so I got one from a long box that had the variable adjustment... way better.

I used the 720 motor 'cause it plugged right in and has 3speeds, the 620 only has 2 doesn't it? I have the 720 4X4 wire harness and it used to have only one setting called 'mist' so I got one from a long box that had the variable adjustment... way better.

3 speeds? My 720, which has full-adjusting delay wipers, only has 2 speeds. 4 switch positions- OFF, DELAY, LOW, HIGH, and a twist knob for the delay ranging from about 1 second up to about 10 seconds. Pull forward for washers. My '81 510 has the same stuff. My '80 510 had just one delay speed, I think it was marked "mist". The '78-79 510 had one delay speed, the switch is a twist-knob with 4 positions and a twist runs the washers.

The 620 with delays likewise used a 4-position switch that looked just like the normal one (normal 620 switches are 3 position) and had one delay setting. I believe on all the single-setting delays the pause was about 2 seconds.

A 2000 vehicle without wiper delay? Lame, Nissan. Shame on you. :mad:

I know! Nissan is very shameful.... a base model 350Z comes with an open diff!!

The 1 position wiper delay and the adjustable wiper delay were 'options' you had to pay more for. But a truck is the one area they go cheap on the luxury items with.

I bought my 91 hardbody in 2004. From the factory the only option it had was a/c and I'm guessing that's only because it was sold in AZ. Factory radio delete. The truck had 130k+ on it and STILL no radio. 2 speed wipers, and only one door switch for the dome light.

Bleach- does your truck have rubber floors?

3 speeds? My 720, which has full-adjusting delay wipers, only has 2 speeds. 4 switch positions- OFF, DELAY, LOW, HIGH, and a twist knob for the delay ranging from about 1 second up to about 10 seconds. Pull forward for washers. My '81 510 has the same stuff. My '80 510 had just one delay speed, I think it was marked "mist". The '78-79 510 had one delay speed, the switch is a twist-knob with 4 positions and a twist runs the washers.

The 620 with delays likewise used a 4-position switch that looked just like the normal one (normal 620 switches are 3 position) and had one delay setting. I believe on all the single-setting delays the pause was about 2 seconds.

Maybe it's the heater with 3 speeds, no, that's 4.

My truck has nice carpet and even Frontier floor mats. AC, 4-cyl, Auto, factory bedliner, flux capacitor, type-R.

No CC, all manual windows and mirrors, came with Nissan tape deck originally.

I was looking for a 4-cyl auto kingcab 2wd. Everything else didn't matter so much but the wiper thing is annoying.