CV Carb'd KA24de - AE86 Corolla

abusedhachi

Hay Datsun guys, just wanted to share my build with you. It's not a datsun, but it is a Nissan carb'd KA24de swapped corolla. I thought you may be interested in seeing a carb'd KAde.

The car pulls HARD. It's not bug free yet, but I have been driving it for a month. The carbs connect to the manifold with simple couplers and clamps. They need to be better secured though, so I am going to make a simple aluminum bracket when I get around to it.

I have plenty of pics and information. You can post up here if you want to know any specific information.

The basics though is the motor is running off RX1 sidedraft CV carbs. I drilled out the main jets to 2.0mm, and will eventually drill out the pilot jet. Though for now it is fine. We havent made a manifold yet, but rather modified the stock manifold. Similar to the ITB write up. I used an amalgamation of OEM throttle cable bits and a bicycle brake cable to make up the throttle. The car uses a yamaha R1 inline fuel pump, and I plugged the 1-3 injector holes with 30mm freeze plugs. In hole 4 I JB'd a cut piece of AC piping and use it for the brake booster. The motor runs off the stock ECU and Ignition system. Though my friend had to wire it up since the motor did come with an upper harness. Also note that it is NOT turbo, but rather uses a turbo bottom mount manifold with a downpipe to clear the steering. Anyhow I will post up some pics.

3611413513_b762c1e112.jpg3611413053_a56ed0306e.jpg3634194074_53b651a672.jpg

3612226810_9f670bfb16.jpg3612227058_9c28b9f164.jpg

Also I needed to install an aftermarket water temp gauge, but didnt want to use an overpriced in-line hose adapter. So I made my own adapter to go into the stock temp sensor location on the head by re-threading a 1/4"NPT to 1/8"NPT adapter to be a M12X1.25 to 1/8"NPT adapter. The adapter cost $1.50.

3850247785_01707bd0b2.jpg

3851043830_ea91f2d07b.jpg

Let me know what you think. And post up any questions, I'll keep you guys upto date with my build.

Some more car pics....

3851227126_f0c7aaac9c.jpg

3851226106_537151cf01.jpg3850429075_f7b81b0e89.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can appreciate the jdm front end on that z32 as well, head lights and all. Buku bucks, I know 1st hand lol.

Not a bad vid but I'd like to see one at like 8k lol.

Looks sweet. Mine look identical but came from a GSXR600. I had to jet way up. And it's only an A15. A local bike shop really saved the day. He let me take a big box of jets home to play with and didn't even charge me for them when I brought the rest back. I couldn't tell if you have a balance tube setup or not. That really seemed to smooth mine out. Enjoy!

Edited by DRIVEN

I actually went to EDR in Portland because they are supposed to be the best when it comes to street bikes. They were completely useless. If they can't plug in a Power Commander - they won't touch it. Coincidentally, the owner of EDR is the son of the owner of D&S, the shop that GAVE me the box of jets. I honestly can't tell you if there was a big difference due to just the carb swap. I fabbed the intake and installed the carbs at the same time as an engine swap from an A12 to a A15. I'm sure that some of it was due to the increased displacement. I can tell you that that there was a HUGE improvement in throttle response and with the new carbs I could feel the engine run out of cam but keep gaining RPM at the top end instead of just "hitting the wall" at 4500 in high gear with the single carb on the A12. Plus It just sounds way cooler:cool:.

yeah, i can you some more info on the IGN. Let me talk with my friend who did most of the wiring to make sure I got it all right first.

For the most part this is what I remember...

The KAde IGN system needs a pulsing input. So you can't just wire it straight up you must go through the ECU. The ECU takes the power signal and pulse it. We used the wiring diagram and wired up the following...The IGN Coil, IGN Chip, and CAS to their respective pins on the ECU. And obviously we wired up the ECU's power and grounds. As long as you follow the wiring for those items everything fires up. Funny thing is that the ECU doesn't even through any codes.

Again though I will take another look at it, and get input from my friend to make sure I didn't forget anything.

i think its the silver top that comes stock with ITB's. But there are a few adapters floating around for the blacktop.

The 4ag has a blue top, red top, black top, and silver top. I honestly dont know all the differences between them. I do know that the HP of the ITB silvertop is like 140 (crank) or so, and costs alot to install. The cost of the silvertop swap is upwards of 1300 plus all the wiring and random pieces needed to finish the swap. I figured that for the cost it wasn't worth it.

Hardcore 4AG guys are pretty dedicated ppl though, and love the ITB motor.

The silver top comes with 42mm itbs and the black top comes with 45mm itbs. To clear it all up.

Imho too the black top is kind of a disappointing follower to the silver. They increased the cam lift .3mm, the itb bore the exhaust port bore, bumped compression .5 to a whopping 11:1,intake ports improved and it makes the exact same tq (a gross 119lb)at the exact same rpm(way high 5800rpm)? lol and 5 more hp (163vs158)? That a lot to do to gain so little.

Prob why the silver is so much more popular, its cheaper and only falls short 5hp.

Edited by 72240z

I was personally involved with a friends silver top swap and we were using megasquirt. It was a huge pain in the ass and since we didn't get it to work right not worth it for us. lol! Your swap seems like a real inexpensive way to go for decent power in a light car.

I wanna know more details about the IGN setup as well because, I have done a few swaps with nissans and far as I am aware you cant run them without an AFM signal of some sort. How did you guys get past this? Usually, without running the AFM it wont allow you to rev past 3k.

• 1 year later...

I haven't been around too much, but this definitely caught my attention. I'm just starting a very similar project, but with GSXR750 carbs and an MSD 6al unit to control ignition instead of the stock Nissan ECU. Any followup posts from the past year? I'd love to see where this went.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Do you think I could get some more info on the ign? Can you just unplug the injectors and tips and maf and it will work? Sorry I read the answers about it but would love some more info, I'm not very fluent with fuel,injected car or systems. Thanks!

Do you think I could get some more info on the ign? Can you just unplug the injectors and tps and maf and it will work? Sorry I read the answers about it but would love some more info, I'm not very fluent with fuel injected cars or systems. Thanks!