danhard heater for 521

what

Hi. My heater in my 521 went out and it never really did much good anyways. I won a danhard after market heater unit on fleabay for $20.00. I will be removing the stock heater in the next few days in order to install this new heater unit. I will let you know how it goes incase you are having trouble with your heater. I wouldnt do this except they dont even reproduce a heater fan motor for the 521.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are at least two things that Nissan make that serve no useful function. The dash light dimmer switch on the 620, and the 3 1/2" X 4" heater core in the 521. I survived 4-5 Ontario winters not because of the 521s heater but in spite of it! Hands down the worst heater I have ever used..... anything, would be better. The 620 is a bit better.

Eventually I modded an air conditioner core that was about 9" square and 2" thick and built a box around it with a heater fan from an old '50s car. Tore out the glove box and mounted it there with pipes to the defrost. You could grill hot dogs with that set up.

• 1 month later...

No shit? The heater in my 71 521 damn near puts blisters on my feet when I drive. When I got the truck I was haveing heater motor issues and while I had it apart I flushed out the core with a water hose from both directions and now it works great.

There are at least two things that Nissan make that serve no useful function. The dash light dimmer switch on the 620, and the 3 1/2" X 4" heater core in the 521. I survived 4-5 Ontario winters not because of the 521s heater but in spite of it! Hands down the worst heater I have ever used..... anything, would be better. The 620 is a bit better.

Eventually I modded an air conditioner core that was about 9" square and 2" thick and built a box around it with a heater fan from an old '50s car. Tore out the glove box and mounted it there with pipes to the defrost. You could grill hot dogs with that set up.

Hmm, my 521 heater is actually pretty good. It gets down to -20 here every winter and that thing will roast you out. Granted it is not the best for defoggin the windows but it blows some dam hot air. I have no reason to upgrade mine.

Nope...No way...not at all...I will not believe that a 521 heater can be anything but a square piece of metal with a fan noise coming from it.

No heat. Ever.

Noise...and a bit of air seems to make it through the newly repaired defroster ducts...but no heat.:blink:

I got an old 40's under dash accessory unit that I am going to swap...it's round and super dope lookin':cool:

The problem with the heater is not the heater, it is a hot water supply problem.

A 100 cubic inch motor does not create that much hot water to begin with, and when it gets cold, the radiator draws off what little heat there is.

In the winter, block off about 3/4 of the radiator. Your heater should work much better. If it gets really cold, block off more of the radiator, but watch the temp gauge