Cheap L series datsun head bolt upgrade?

72240z

I don't know if it's been done, took a quick look but didn't see anything. Imagining it's either been done or there is a valid reason why not BUT.......

l series head bolt next to ld head bolt.

headbolts003.jpg

headbolts004.jpg

Cheap and easy no?

REdrilling/taping isn't in any way hard. I see the bolts sell cheap, I have like 3 sets laying around.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will that wide shoulder fit the cam tower side?
The tolerance is nil but it does fit. It's the same 10mm hex too.

are the block threads even the same?

Of course not lol, look how much fatter it is.

I'm saying drill and tap the head/block. With guide holes there anyone can do it. You get to use nissan bolts that are clearly fatter and I'd say safe to assume much stronger. What the comp in a ld like 16:1?

If you wanted to stud down the line you still end up being able to use fatter, stronger studs.

Little surprised there isn't more interest actually. Seems a ratsun-esque upgrade to me.

Oh ya definitely, n/a motors even with high comp (running gasoline anyway lol) the stock bolts should be fine. There seems to be more and more people with turbo motors in their datsuns though.

I thought they all stretched during the torqueing sequence and that's why they say to never reuse? I always took it with a grain of salt and have reused without trouble a bunch of times but that's what they say.

Edited by 72240z

Not that necessary on a stock engine, but definitely on a turbo. The stock bolts stretch after so much boost. One of the local guys who races has a turbo 6 in his road race 510 and I think after 15 psi or so it was lifting the head off the block ever so slightly.