S12 V6 struts 4 lug hubs with the Z32 caliper

Green Bastard

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have a good suggestion on a adjustable inserts for the 88 200sx V-6 struts???

Tokico Illuminas, KYB AGX, Koni Race are all adjustable strut inserts that people like. There are different applications that will fit inside your housing. Which application depends on if, and how much you want to shorten the housing.

Illuminas work very well for street/auto-x up to 300 lbs rates or so. You can feel the difference in adjustment with every click (5) also.

Koni race are designed for the hard pounding of motorsports. They utilize digressive valving and are built to keep high spring rates under control.

I have not used AGX in a 510. I have heard from knowledgeable sources that they will hold up to high spring rates better than an Illumina. Needless to say, they are still designed for the street.

Strut insert selecton depends somewhat on how much you want to spend and what type of spring rate you feel like running.

Some people like stock strut guts filled with motor oil. Very economical :rolleyes:

Jeff,

I think you would still need to do the Kamodo mod like the rest of us. S12 front suspension shares more in common with the PL510 stuff than s13/14/15 and most other modern cars for that matter.

Here is a diagram of a S13 front suspension.

FrontSuspension.jpg

I wont say that the whole thing cannot be adapted to a PL510, but I will say that there are easier ways to get a good setup under the front of your dime.

It wouldn't be Tein/Cusco/Apexi or other jaydum hawtness. But, it would be much easier to shorten a pair of struts, put a Koni, Illumina, or AGXinside, adapt what ever brakes you want to run, and do a coilover conversion.

I could bolt the Tien's on my rig. S12 is very similar to s13 just a little narrower. The ball joints are the same, so I can run the s13 suspension :D

I will be using this for road racing tracks not much if any auto-x. I also have the VG30DETT motor, it is a bit heavier. I was thinking along the lines of 280-300# springs.

I think that would be a fine rate. I have 185# and I wish they where at least 200# springs are cheap anyways so you can always start a collection :D I had a spring pile haha got ride of a bunch though.

Too bad I will probably sell these... I will get another set eventually though cause I feel the fit into my master plan better than my old backyard engineered slap together. Its kinda like choosing between having "true" engineer (slodat), spend years designing a suspension for my car, and spending a few hundred bucks and a 6pack engineering one in a weekend. The reason I went this route or will go this route is because my old setup performed so well, I can only imagine how badass a "real" setup will work.

I will be using this for road racing tracks not much if any auto-x. I also have the VG30DETT motor, it is a bit heavier. I was thinking along the lines of 280-300# springs.

Don't be scared of higher spring rates. I know of 510 road racers that run 450lb springs in their cars. Early Z's running 500 lb.

I use 250's in the front of my street car, and I have no problem taking a 400 mile road trip in it. I know another guy with the big VG30DE in his car running 350's in the front. I have driven it on the street and it felt good too.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

How did you get those Z32 calipers on a 4 lug strut? Did you have a bracket made?

I'm running the 87/88 S12 V6 struts with S13 megan racing coilovers and camber plates, with 85 300ZX 4 lug hubs and rotors and bearings, and then the Z32 calipers, then a 3/16" spacer, and 16x7 +20 rims

IMG_20110428_1856461.jpg