Noob With Pics & Qs

atkinson40

Yesterday was browsing CL for a truck and stumbled on a '72 Datsun pickup for $600 that was listed as needing brake and engine work. Nostalgia kicked and I rememered a little over 20 years ago having this truck and gave the owner a call. He said my wife wants it gone and if you make it so, you can have it for $200. I'm now the proud owner of the the truck which at the very least seems to have a blown head gasket. Here's some pics.

truck.jpg

wheel.jpg

engine.jpg

cab.jpg

Questions:

What is the toyota signia on the wheel pic? Did someone put in a toyota rear end?

Is there an online manual for this truck? I searched the forums and only came up with one for the 1974.

My goal is to get the truck up and running to use as an occasional hauler of lumber to Mexico.

I don't think I'll go for a complete restoration, but need to make it solid.

Head gasket is first on the list and the probably brakes. Hence the manual request. TIA Kevin

TIA Kevin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer the question on the wheels...No body changed the rearend, it just has toyota 4x4 rims .They are 6 bolt and fit the Datsuns, as do most other 6 bolt except Dodge Dakotas.

Good looking truck, looks like it is a good canidate for fixing up. Keep all of use posted and with pics.. we all like pics.

Nice score!

1. The manual for the '74 will work for this rig. Any manual for the PL620 will be your friend. There is also TONS of info available here and on other Datsun truck sites for you to use.

2. Not sure if someone swapped the rear. Most Toyota 2wd trucks were 5 lug also so I'm guessing its just a cap someone put on (anyone, correct me if i'm wrong.)

3. If you're going to be replacing the head gasket, you may as well purchase a timing chain set. Inspect the old chain guides for excessive wear.

-Brian

Nice truck and great price. What is your location. It helps members to know if you are close to be able to help you with parts. I have 2 L20B for rebuild if you would like a little more horse power for hauling lumber to Mexico. I am in Tolleson AZ.

NICE SCORE, very sweet lookin ride for 200.00 bucks, yes list your location, and welcome to ratsun, hope to see more progress of the truck in the future..:)

I live in a burb of San Diego called Bonita. Its about 10 miles North of the Tijuanna border. Its also about 36 miles from the Mexican town of Tecate, which is about 30 miles East of Tijuanna.

I'm gringo married to a Mexican. Wifey has a daughter living in Tecate that we're doing construction on her property. Wood and materials is expensive in Mexico so we need a way to haul it down there from up here. Wifey also inherited a property in Tecate that needs lots of work.

We have a man working on both properties during the week and we go down on Sunday to pay him, plan the next weeks work, and buy whatever materials he needs.

The trip down there is a haul into the mountains around hairpin turns. Truck will have to handle hauling some 2X4s, 2X6s, plywood, and drywall. Coming back is the bitch. The border crossing is about an hour wait idleing. I'll have to make sure the truck won't overheat. Especially given its history of overheating. -K

Let me get this straight.......You need a truck to haul lumber to mexico and you pick a 200.00 620 with a blown head gasket(at least) and bad brakes. Not mention a six ft pick-up bed with wheel wells on either side of the cargo box so a piece of plywood doesn't even lay flat........Oh yeah, but it is a Datsun. Makes sense to me.

I hear that it has been said,"the best truck/car for the job is a Datsun, running or not."

You will find many here who live by those words.

In closing let me say, It is totally crazy, but I like it! Post pictures of that truck winding up the road outside of Tecate full of lumber. GET OR MAKE A LUMBER RACK!!!!!:eek:

Z