'74 620 Bed Removal

g-mam

I realize there are 8 mount points, and disconnect the rear wires, but the manual says to remove the fuel tank first. Can this be lifted off if I remove the two screws holding the filler neck to the body?

I do have to swap out the fuel tank, but I think this will be easier after I have the bed off.

Anyone removed the bed with the fuel tank on?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a '75 long bed off with the tank. Took it home and removed the tank... had 5 gal of gas in and that's why I took it home like that. :D

I would empty the tank first to make it easier to handle.

From Jan '78 on the tank is bolted to the frame.

I don't know if its stock or not, but I know that my 73 has a drain plug in the bottom off the tank. If yours has that you can easily remove any fuel that is in the tank.(Don't really know if that's gonna help any)

What I wanted to do was remove the bed and then take it to the welder for the floors. But he has to be able to move it in and out of his shop. So unless I can figure a way to hang the tank on the frame, I'll have to do the bed later. I want to turn it over, clean off all the flaking undercoating, Por-15 it, then re-spray rubber undercoat.

This just changes my plans a little. Damn, the neighbors were so looking forward to seeing my truck bed in the back yard :D

Remove the large hose clamp where the rubber & metal filler neck attach & seperate, remove the 6 12mm bolts on the brackets & let the tank drop down, remove the fuel lines. Then when you remove the bed the tank will stay where it is. Or drain it as mentioned, it will make it easier to hold as you lower it down off the brackets.

Check the build date probably between 07'77 and 12 '77

You're correct.Now i'm pissed.I have a high capacity fuel tankthat came out of a 75 620 all cleaned & sealed & ready to go that won't work.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: