RANT- Mass inspection blows! MA=Japan

They failed my 521 today. Last year it was because the windshield washer bag didn't work in a almost 40 yr old vehicle. Got it all fixed. "If it came with it it has to work."

This year, because the passenger rocker had 3 pea sized holes in it and the tailgate was rusty enough to have some jagged edges. I shit you not! This is the kind of stuff they have to deal with in Japan! Y'all have seen my rig, it is far from a rusted out POS.

THey said, " Well it doesn't take a big hole for exhaust to get inside the cab." I am like "OK but the rockers are boxed and there are no holes on the inside." Didn't matter.

I guess the laws changed last Oct. CA may have its smog laws, but MA is a way worse place to own a classic. Freakin unbelievable. I see rods in CA that don't even have trans tunnels and they are on the road.

I have a new tailgate, and just need to patch those tiny holes. I've been wanting to do it anyway, but STILL. WTF!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fisch,

Just send the oil drop to me and I'll take good care of it for you. :lol:

I thought smog laws sucked. That just blows :(

You rock Datrod! You know I wish I could!

Blows, and I was all set to take it to a car meet tonight. Now I am stuck with a scarlett letter "R" in the windshield.

Funny thing, they tried to fail me for sloppy ball joints. But when I said it had kingpins, well first they were shocked and didn't believe me and had to look under the truck again. Second, they said, well that is a different story, kingpin trucks are allowed to have a bit more up and down slop, so they took that off the fail list. (Though he did say the pass kindpin was a bit too sloppy, and I should get it fixed soon. And that he prolly should fail me for it but wouldn't.)

Fucken bastards. That is fucked up! The government just wants to remove classics so you can buy another GM product.

Just like Japan Motavated!

"THey said, ' Well it doesn't take a big hole for exhaust to get inside the cab.' I am like 'OK but the rockers are boxed and there are no holes on the inside.'

Didn't matter."

If you want to play with their minds, fill the rockers with low expansion foam when you patch the holes.

I live in NH and they aren't much better. The inspection shops are independently operated and some "interpret" the regulations differently. I believe MA uses independent shops, I'd look for another one next inspection.

In NH technically anytime a vehicle is in a repair shop that does inspections, they are to remove the sticker from the car if the car has a non compliant inspection issue, even if the inspection sticker is still valid. Never seen it happen, but that is the rule.

Spray Foam in the rockers is a bad idea. It will trap the moisture and accelerate the rust issues.

Years ago I had an S10 with bad rockers/cab corners, I fixed the right side by welding on new panels and ran out of time for the left before inspection was due. So I foamed up the left side, cut off the stuff that oozed out, coated it with bondo, sanded it smooth and spray painted it with Duplicolor. Looked great for about 6 months before the rust started bleeding thru again.

Live and learn.

Alas the tailgate was beyond a bondo repair! I just finished putting the new one one and even not matching it is way better than what was. It is funny how you need this sort of motavation once in a while to get shit done you've been wanting to do.

For the rocker, I be JB would do a groovy temp fix. I've thought about it! The holes are no bigger than the eraser on a pencil. Another route I think I will try is a technique using fiberglass fabric and Master Series silver, (Like Por-15, but a bit different.) It is a high build primer that they use on metal boats for salty water. Not at all like rattle can primer. This won't absorb any moisture.

My brother in law did a repair on a t-bird that way and 25 years later it is still holding up. Even he was surprised!

I had no idea NH could be bad!!! Being a title free state passed a certain year made me think y'all have it easy! And it sure helped with the registration side of things back in MA. Live free or die, right! I bought both my vehicles up in NH. For some reason y'all have some good stuff once in a while!

Ya that's crazy to hear esp on the east coast. You can't just pay someone or is it principal to you? What would get me heated is the fact they are so clueless but never the less given the power to pass or fail.

I pay 80 bucks and I pass regardless. I had at the time rocker holes, bed holes shot bushings, I'm lucky if 50% of the exhaust makes it out the tail pipe, no lic plate lights, no reverse lights, windshield chips, tints, frame rust, on and on and on.....

That's why I personally like there are independent shops that "interpret" the rules. Would rather it be all ghestapo, gov or nothing? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Man.....That's an out of control nanny state. I'm kind of surprised, really. I thought the smog police were the extent of state vs. old vehicles problems. What are they going to do next? Put a camera in your car to monitor your every move?

Sorry to say it, but that's not freedom. As stated earlier, it's a way to get people to get so frustrated with the system that they give up and buy a NEW car. Not necessarily to save GM (which I have to say I'm a fan of a lot of their old stuff and some new :) ), but so people buy NEW cars that warm the hearts of all those that believe by driving our old stuff we are polluting the world worse than unregulated Chinese sweatshops..

Sorry to say it, but that's not freedom. As stated earlier, it's a way to get people to get so frustrated with the system that they give up and buy a NEW car.

The Auto lobby is strong in this state. On top of this inspection BS, Taxachusettes charges you tax based on the retail value of your car, NOT the amount you paid for it. Having someone write you a bill of sale for $1 does not help you here.

If you just bought a `34 ford 5 window coupe that was rusted out and had no engine or trans and was barely a roller, and you go to register it, guess what, you pay tax on the average sales price, which factors in what a fully restored one would sell for- NOT WHAT YOU PAID. Thousands of dollars. I am not making this up!!! You can appeal, send photos to plead your case, but I have yet to hear an appeal that worked.

Thankfully Datsuns don't have a high retail value, but even though I paid $225 for my 521, I was taxed on $800.

Glad I live in the south.

Haha, same.

I could register my truck in the condition it's in now. Don't need a title, catalytic converter/smog control system to drive it. You don't even need a bed. I doubt they'd even look under the hood.

Sounds exactly like what they do in Australia. Over there they can fail you for things that they think you need, even if it never came on the car. Knew a guy who had to install extra seat bracing, even though his factory stuff was fine.

Anyways, in AZ there is no safety inspection, only a smog inspection. If you have classic insurance like my 280ZXT and 510, you don't even have to go through the smog check either.

That's one of the reason the rat rod thing is so big in the southwest, they don't inspect any of them.

Also, here in AZ your yearly registration fee is based on the original value of the car, calculated against how old the car is. So my 510 is something ridiculously cheap like $20 per year.

Edited by yellowdatsun
The Auto lobby is strong in this state. On top of this inspection BS, Taxachusettes charges you tax based on the retail value of your car, NOT the amount you paid for it. Having someone write you a bill of sale for $1 does not help you here.

If you just bought a `34 ford 5 window coupe that was rusted out and had no engine or trans and was barely a roller, and you go to register it, guess what, you pay tax on the average sales price, which factors in what a fully restored one would sell for- NOT WHAT YOU PAID. Thousands of dollars. I am not making this up!!! You can appeal, send photos to plead your case, but I have yet to hear an appeal that worked.

Thankfully Datsuns don't have a high retail value, but even though I paid $225 for my 521, I was taxed on $800.

Wow! You paid $225 for that truck!? That's a deal and half :cool:

That has to be one of the stupidest vehicle tax schemes I've ever heard of. Taxing a "car found in a barn" based on values that consider fully done street rods? I wonder who came up with that..Again, this is just a way to FORCE us to quit driving the old stuff. Little do they know how much many of us LIKE to drive old cars, and how we try to help each other with the great enthusiast sites a lot of us frequent that help us keep them on the road :D

I empathize with those that argue with or have been in a situation where some state stooge THINKS you need XYZ on your old car, but the reality is it never came with it. I just went through this at the smog station last month; I even showed this guy the original emissions diagram out of the ORIGINAL owner's manual for my 720, and that was not enough! He spent almost 1/2 hour under my hood with a little flashlight looking for some piece of phantom emissions equipment.

I hope you can get your truck passed..That's the best way to give such a ridiculous gauntlet for old vehicles the one finger salute :)