Datsun "elephant" oil caps

This oil cap is rare

oil-cap.jpg

Ya the more common ones say "NISSAN" on the center instead of the elephant. That cap is pretty, if it was male thread to fit the L series I'd be asking how much :-).

The L series elephant caps aren't rare but they sell well from time to time. I have sold some for a dollar and I have sold some for 15. The ones that say oil on them though aren't that much rarer, I have picked up s30 parts cars from 71-72 including my own 72 that was rocking them. Not saying there were stock but if they were only for the 1st few months or production i.e. early series one they would be worth way more and be much rarer.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the most common ones have "Nissan" in the middle, with Japanese characters around the outside. They were on every L-series from '75-80. The Elephant (with "OIL") ones were standard from 71-74, as well as used on JDM L-series through '78 or so. The ones that just have "OIL" in large letters (and nothing else) aren't very common at all. Rarest are the '68 caps because they aren't screw-type, and won't work with other L-series valve covers.

The ones with just the elephant and Japanese characters and NO "OIL" are the rare ones (not as rare as the '68 ones though). There are actually more variants than that.

Edited by datsunaholic

Looks like this thread is already jacked.

Sorry :D

Anyone having any unique caps that will fit the E1 or 1300 or 1600 cc engines, let me know...I will buy one. I

vindats, I also have this oil cap for E1 motor (I think)

it has a breather on the bottom and the rare "elephant sticker"

oil-cap.jpg

is that for an A series???

It fits late L series valve cover as well as the R16 and possibly the A and J series valve cover.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.