L320 needs transplant

Biscayne

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a engine for my '65 L320, any recomendations? The stocker is tired and rattles when I start it so I'm looking for another similar size family member to throw in. How about a 1.6L from a 510?

If you go with a 1.6 I would suggest a 2.0 (L20b) or atleast the 1.8. (L18) I believe that the Ls are all the same size wise (correct me if I am wrong oh mighty datsun gods). So might as well go with something more powerfull.

If you go with a 1.6 I would suggest a 2.0 (L20b) or atleast the 1.8. (L18) I believe that the Ls are all the same size wise (correct me if I am wrong oh mighty datsun gods). So might as well go with something more powerfull.

Yeah, dimensionally they're all the same. I'm guessing the L18/L20b are also easier/cheaper to find.

Another option would be an A series engine.

Of course, if you could stuff a non-turbo KA or SR in there you could really rattle that frame. :D

what do you mean rattles?

Meaning a 40yo Datto truck don't ride that smooth. I believe the earlier ones had a two-piece driveshaft that prevented them from breaking 55mph or something. Even with the one-piece upgrade, it'll rattle at speed.

if i had the money and access to another motor i'd lose my L16 and get an L20 if not a KA.

Is it really worth the time and $$$ to go from a L16 to a L20b? Might as well go for the KA. :cool:

he said it 'rattles at startup' and he's asking about replacing the motor so i assumed he meant the motor rattles, not the whole truck. if i just assumed what he meant and gave a quick answer off the top of my head, maybe it is low on oil, maybe it's slow to prime, since the rattle goes away, maybe it just needs to warm up to run smooth... there's a ton of maybes, i thought i would see if there was some more information to be had.

my 71 521 has a two-piece driveshaft and the stock 4spd and i got it up to 65+ with no problems... aside from the slight vibration that you get from a vehicle of that design and age. mind you i have no idea what rpm i was running cause i lack a tach. :)

"Is it really worth the time and $$$ to go from a L16 to a L20b? Might as well go for the KA."

if that's the only determining factor why wouldn't i just go buy an s10? it has better parts support and will be faster and look newer for about the same $$. i would actually rather build up an L16. but i know in the long run it would make just a little bit more sense to build an L20. everybody has their own reason for owning and driving these old trucks, some of mine include the L motor.

he said it 'rattles at startup' and he's asking about replacing the motor so i assumed he meant the motor rattles, not the whole truck.

Ahhhh, I didn't read the original post carefully. Thanks.

my 71 521 has a two-piece driveshaft and the stock 4spd and i got it up to 65+ with no problems... aside from the slight vibration that you get from a vehicle of that design and age. mind you i have no idea what rpm i was running cause i lack a tach. :)

I was just repeating what a L320 w/ an A engine in it owner told me. Maybe the 521 is more solidly built than the L320.

"Is it really worth the time and $$$ to go from a L16 to a L20b? Might as well go for the KA."

if that's the only determining factor why wouldn't i just go buy an s10? it has better parts support and will be faster and look newer for about the same $$. i would actually rather build up an L16. but i know in the long run it would make just a little bit more sense to build an L20. everybody has their own reason for owning and driving these old trucks' date=' some of mine include the L motor.[/quote']

Agreed. Depends on what the owner wants, can afford, etc. Cheapest and easiest solution (I think), would be to rebuild the E if he's happy w/ that engine.

Meaning a 40yo Datto truck don't ride that smooth. I believe the earlier ones had a two-piece driveshaft that prevented them from breaking 55mph or something. Even with the one-piece upgrade, it'll rattle at speed.

The LATER Datsun trucks had 2-piece driveshafts. They went 2-piece in 1970, and remained 2-piece all the way through the Hardbody at least (I don't know beyond '86). The 320 and 520 both had one-piece driveshafts.

Trust me, I've gone 70+ in my 520 no problem. The only shaking I had was a tire start separating... drove all the way to Canby and back with a bulged tire. The sole reason for the 2-part driveshaft was to clear the relocated frame crossmember, which was done to stiffen the frame as the trucks got larger, heavier, and more horsepower. You can't run a 1-piece in a truck with that crossmember in place, or at least not at stock ride height (it'll work if dropped fairly drastically since the angle flattens out).

For an easier swap like mentioned before id go with a A motor from a B 210. Dimensions are similar & you could run a 5 speed trans. The motor mounts would need to be modified though. Why not just rebuild the E-1 ?

I just want somthing I can stick in relativly easy, this sounds like an option. I've got enough projects that are in various states of completion so a rebuild is not going to happen on the big bad ass 60hp job, I just want a weekend project. I just want to grab a car and knock it in the head and transplant. I would love to grab somthing that I can use the rearend out of too.