having taillight trouble. halp!

yeap, my taillights are being gay. the left turn signal works, the running lights work, but the brake lights don't. the wiring looks good, the bulbs don't look burnt out from what i can tell, what's my problem? can someone tell me where the wires are that i should chesk for the brakelights and the right turn signal?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeap, my taillights are being gay. the left turn signal works, the running lights work, but the brake lights don't. the wiring looks good, the bulbs don't look burnt out from what i can tell, what's my problem? can someone tell me where the wires are that i should chesk for the brakelights and the right turn signal?

Try the emergency 4 way flasher. Turn it off and on a few times to clean the internal contacts. Make sure it is firmly in the OFF position as the brake and turn signals pass through this switch.

Work the turn signal lever back and forth to clean the contacts... again the brake lights pass through this switch when in the middle position and are off when making a turn on that side.

Does your horn work??? The brake lights are also on this fuse so if it's blown.... no horn or brake lights.

There's a few things to check that are easy to do and cost nothing. BTW fill out your profile and list your location (town or state) and your car. A picture of it would be nice too. Don't be shy, we all have one. :D

It might just help if you told us what vehicle [and year] you are talking about.

my 510 the brake lights did mot work.

get a test light or volt meter. ground one side of meter or test light and go to the brake light switch under the brake pedal. now there should be 12volts on one side of it. then pus the pedal and go to the otherside and should have 12volts there also.

If no 12volts then go to the fuse box and ck the fuse that says HORN. that powers the brakes lights. Pull the fuse. Ones side should have power(12volts).make sure fuse is good some or broke inside but loose.

sometimes just pull the connector to fuse box and put back on will clean the corrosion.

Mine the wire broke underneath

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Try the emergency 4 way flasher. Turn it off and on a few times to clean the internal contacts. Make sure it is firmly in the OFF position as the brake and turn signals pass through this switch.

Work the turn signal lever back and forth to clean the contacts... again the brake lights pass through this switch when in the middle position and are off when making a turn on that side.

Does your horn work??? The brake lights are also on this fuse so if it's blown.... no horn or brake lights.

There's a few things to check that are easy to do and cost nothing. BTW fill out your profile and list your location (town or state) and your car. A picture of it would be nice too. Don't be shy, we all have one. :D

Did you try this yet???? Try the suggestions, it might fix one or all the problems. If you try it and nothing happens, say so and we can move on.