FS5W71C rebuild, can't get the main shaft out

Duke

I'm rebuilding the Naps-z 5 speed that I am running in my car. I had originally thought that the input shaft bearing was bad, but it ended up being the main shaft bearing. I am having trouble getting the main shaft out. Has anybody done this before? Anybody have any tips for removing it? Or should I just source another tranny and forget about it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is. I have the transmission totally apart. I was just able to get the main shaft out, and the bearing. The kicker is that none of the bearings in the transmission feel bad, but I know it can be a different case when a load is applied. I think I may have gotten in over my head with the tranny rebuild. I have this feeling in my stomach that I will get it all back together and back in and it will be just as bad as before, or worse. We'll see I guess.

Duke was the tranny loud or just shifting bad?

Reminds me of when I was a kid. I got a YZ80 for cheap because it had a bent rod. well it turns out when splitting the case some knowledge of gears is required.... needless to say that one never made it back together :D

Mike, I am really bad at taking pictures in the middle of a project, but I will post some of what I did take.

Duke was the tranny loud or just shifting bad?

It shifted fine, but it would make noise under deceleration and above 3K RPM. I am pretty sure it was a bad bearing. I replaced all the bearings in the transmission, and I was able to get it back together. I still have to put the front and rear cases back on but I don't have any extra parts! I'm just hoping it works and doesn't make any bad noises once it is back in the car.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. I got a YZ80 for cheap because it had a bent rod. well it turns out when splitting the case some knowledge of gears is required.... needless to say that one never made it back together :D

I had a feeling that I would have the same thing happen to me. However, my dad convinced me to give it a go, and I am glad I did because I really learned a lot about the inner workings of a transmission, something that has been a kind of "magic box" to me for a while.

Fingers crossed it all works as intended in the end!

The dogleg 5 speed that was in my 510 earlier this year made the same kind of noise. I sold it to its present owner explaining the noise and recommended replacing bearings. He replaced the bearings and the transmission is quiet and in his truck. Fingers crossed for you Duke!

I had a feeling that I would have the same thing happen to me. However, my dad convinced me to give it a go, and I am glad I did because I really learned a lot about the inner workings of a transmission, something that has been a kind of "magic box" to me for a while.

Fingers crossed it all works as intended in the end!

I've only got as far as taking the housing off exposing the magic... I would like to install new bearing and sink rows in a tranny just for fun. Just the though of getting it in and having to pull it back out reminds me to put it on the bottom of the list :D

Good luck buddy!

• 4 weeks later...