VG30e(t) in a 620?

RacnJsn95

Anyone ever put a VG30e(t) in a 620? I know people put them in 510s all the time, so I figure one should fit in a 620, right? A friend of mine has an 84 300zx with a vg30e and a 5 speed. He said I could have the engine, trans, wiring harness, ecu, and differential for $800... obviously I couldn't use the diff in my 620, but since I have a divorced transfercase, I dont think it would be too bad, if it fit... This should be a decent "oomph" upgrade from my L20b... and I can save the L20b for a 510 or something.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I forgot to say that all that stuff comes with a rebuilt VG30et engine. So I'd have the vg30e, and vg30et to play with. Seeing as my truck has a divorced transfer case, I can pretty much put anything in it, as long as it fits the engine compartment... I figured since people put them in a 510, it shouldn't be too bad in a 620. I've even read about people with vg30ett's in 510s.

The 510 doesn't have the same clearance issues as a 620 though.

Torsion bar mounts and the solid steering column are more of an issue in a 620. So you can't just drop everything in a truck that fits the Datsun cars.

even with a non-turbo you may have problems with the exhaust manifold clearing on the driver's side. The only way to really tell is lower the block down in the truck with the exhaust manifolds on. Get it close to where you think the engine mounts (custom) would be and see if there is room to hook up exhuast. It might be resting on the steering already at that point.

If one were to bag the truck... wouldn't that relieve the whole torsion bar issue? And steering...anybody try to install a drive by wire? A completely electronic steering from a newer vehicle? If you got rid of half that crap in there and run close to stock tires (for deflated airbag times) you should create all kinds of room for fun new tricks. However, cost may cause a few problems:P

You will clear just fine if you used truck manifolds that point straight down, these are found in HB's,200sx's(v6), and pathfinders. You can even use the truck engine mounts with your 620 frame mounts but you will have to lower the engine so it sits at the same angle as yo9ur old drivetrain setup. Otherwise firewall mods might need to be done and if your getting the whole drivetrain from a 300zx you can do the front case swap to your l-series tranny like ice house and beebani did. The biggest problem like kiznook stated is gonna be the 300zx crossover pipe n/a or turbo. The turbo could always be spaced higher away from the frame or steering box which will deffinately be in the way. I am in the process of putting one of these in a HB and I ran into alot of the problems I listed above. Instead of bashing in your firewall I would use a vg30e, truck manifolds or the 510 headers, cam gears and pathy intake. You will be at more than 200hp right there which would be plenty even for a 4wd 620. peace

yeah sorry I meant RUSS's adjustable cam gears and theres dyno sheets to back up what I stated about the 200hp mark. you could get 200hp to the wheels with an aftermarket engine management and that setup easily! PLUS VG's sound wicked cool n/a!!!

I wish I was smart, then I could figure out these wiring conflictions with trav mans vg swap. Wiring is not my gig at all and I wish they would just magically run without it!

BTW yello620 hows the Vg swap going with your truck? I havent spoken to ya since that swap meet deal at the nissan dealer. peace.

The tortion bars were removed from my truck when it was converted to 4x4, so they wouldn't be an issue. Actually I was just wondering today if it would be possible to swap the bellhousing on the transmission today, just like everyone else does with the 240sx trans in Z cars, and other stuff. But I think it would be pretty pointless to keep my 4 speed.

Talked to my friend today, he said if I buy his crap I get the VG30et, it's been rebuilt, has a new t3/t4 hubrid, the 5 speed, the rear end (not LSD), and another vg30e that supposedly is in good shape... So I could put the vg30e in the truck, and save the vg30et for something else?

Well you guys were right about shoping around. I bought a complete 87 300zx N/A 5 speed, T-tops, power everything incuding power leather seats for $150. The body is preemo! No dents, shiny paint. The interior is pretty beat up though, seats show a LOT of wear. Most in interior panels are in bad shape. That little 90 degree radiator hose right on the front, top side of the engine blew on the kid while he was driving home, and he thought the radiator blew. I think I scored. I'll take some pics of it when I get it home tomorrow. I'm not positive I want to put it in the truck yet (the truck is so cool with the L engine, even though its an underdog), but I do want to do something with it... Maybe a Rat Rod?

is this Z car a burgandy color by chance? There was this kid a while back hounding me to come pickup his 87 3z from him for like 300 bucks but I dont have the space. Plus it had some electrical problems similar to what my old one had and I wasnt going down that road again!! peace.

Picked the 300zx up today. It was quite interesting getting it on and off the tow dolly, since it's so low. The only way we could get it on was to put it in gear, and just back the tow dolly under the front of it. Funny stuff. Anyway, got it home late, didn't have a change to try to and start it.

8_26_07042.jpg

8_26_07038.jpg

8_26_07046.jpg

and here's a shot of the burst hose... I dont think the kid ever saw it...

8_26_07047.jpg

No cracks in the dash, it's in good shape. The rest of the interior is pretty hammered... Now that I've got it home and really gone over the body, I can't decide whether to still rip the engine, trans, wiring harness, computer, and stuff out for the 620, or a rat rod, which I was planning on doing with it, or just fixing it up a little and driving it.

The more I look at it, and play with it, the more I want to leave it alone and drive it... Depends on how it runs once I get it fired... I tried to start it today, but there's no fire. Rather than continue this thread, I'm going to start one in the Z car board, or perhaps Datto Projects...

Please continue to discuss the possibilities of putting a vg30e in a 620 if it interests you.

• 2 years later...

I dont know of anybody that has posted any actual progress on this yet. I still have a VG sitting in the garage for mine, but i cant seem to take apart a good running truck yet.

I have done a little measuring for fitment though. Looks good as long as you have a rear sump pan and run a 200sx or pathfinder intake.

I dont know of anybody that has posted any actual progress on this yet. I still have a VG sitting in the garage for mine, but i cant seem to take apart a good running truck yet.

I have done a little measuring for fitment though. Looks good as long as you have a rear sump pan and run a 200sx or pathfinder intake.

You've got me beat. I don't even have a truck yet. Looking for a solid project and thought I would start collecting parts. I can get my hands on a VG for about $75. Wondering if it would be worth picking up for the future project or not. Keep in mind, this will be my first ever project. Perhaps I should stick with something more common.