School me on lake style side-pipes!

fisch

I am psyched to report I am picking up an L18 that was built in the 80's with some sort of racy cam, offy intake, Holly carb, and custom Cyclone exhaust headers. The owner used an issue of minitruckin from back in the day as an instruction manual!

The previous owner ran dual lake pipes/sidepipes on his 620. So it has me thinking of side pipes for my 521.

I know nothing of exhaust systems. Let alone sidepipes. School me! How long should they be? How are they set up? Anyone have photos of how they look underneath?

Who sells them for our little 4 bangers? Anyone have some used ones they want to sell?

I've seen shots of a 4 into 1 pipe. Where 4 collect into one right along the side of the truck.

C'mon ol skool ratsuners, drop some knowledge!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well on most old skool 70s side pipes like the blue truck above, the 4 pipes into the one big-un was just there to look cool. one of the 4 pipes that goes into the big one get the exhaust from the engine.

sooo if your wantin to run a side pipe, you either gonna have to get a lakepipe/side pip kit from a speedshop/parts place and then get creative.

i remember a while back on here there was a guy from hawaii with a 620 that had a homemade sidepipe exhaust and flamethrower kit.

im also kinda on the same wagon your on right now. im not really into the sidepipe for the look (dont get me wrong. im not sayin i dont like em) but more the routing for more ground clearance. im wanting to lower the kingcab like another 3in and with how my exhaust is running right now, id be layin on it all the time. so from the headpipe, im goin to run a piece of flexpipe to a pipe thats going to be mounted by the body mounts on the outside of the frame. im also goin to try and run that said pipe through the body mounts that stick off the frame on the driver side. and im gonna try to find a long skinny tractor style muffler to run in that area. ground clearance is that name of the game for me. the look is just going to be a cool side effect (no pun intended) lol

anyways, how i could help. i got to ramblin there for a little. lol

I've been reading that alot of these side pipes were non functional, and just for the looks, even back in the day.

So when they are functional, do people run a muffler at all with these? Seems doubtful they would. I assume is it pure pipe from the header to the tip?

The guy I got the engine from said his were functional. The routing started from the end of the header, split into two, then the two pipes curved 180

Edited by fisch
I've been reading that alot of these side pipes were non functional, and just for the looks, even back in the day.

So when they are functional, do people run a muffler at all with these? Seems doubtful they would. I assume is it pure pipe from the header to the tip?

what if you run a twin loop muffler, maybe that would help

• 1 month later...

it depends what side pipes you talk about, some ran fiberglass packed mufflers inside of the sidepipe. I thought about doing the side pipe deal too after i did the dual exhaust from a little bit before the end of the cab back...sounded kinda cool, like an old flathead almost. I think if you ran true dual exhaust with side pipes, it wouldnt sound too bad. Eh, who needs mufflers, other than some sort of back pressure, just run some baffling inside the side pipes and youll be good!

and yeah you are correct back in the day, hell I cant really say back in the day because of my age but still, yeah they werent muffled at all...a lot of the time they stayed capped off. look over at speedwaymotors.com they have some lakester stuff.