Electric Fuel Pump

GERMS

Hello, can I get a recommendation on a not so expensive electric fuel pump for my setup? I have no idea what's a good one to use, I'll be running a cannon intake with a side draft DCOE 40 Weber carb. what else would I need? Should I connect the return line? Will I need a regulator? (which one if so.) and how about a turn off switch? Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome thanks! I think I'm gonna go for the electric just because I want it to start quick and because its shiny...haha jk

What else would I need to complete the fuel system? What are those regulators for? Do I need that? Is recommended to put in a turn on and off switch for the pump right?

BTW Kragen or CSKAUTO has a bosch one for 39 bucks...is it the same or less quality?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BOS&MfrPartNumber=69405&PartType=52&PTSet=A

rockauto shows them at 70 plus s/h

Edited by Germz12

Regulator is needed when you use the wrong fuel pump. Like a Holley med. pressure pump. Not needed for the Datsun electric pump (also shown at that link) or the airtex.

Is recommended to put in a turn on and off switch for the pump right?

It is recommended that you wire it to a "crash" switch, like most new cars have (you know, the "press button in trunk to reset" switch). But most people don't run them. Taking their chances if there is a wreck and line is cut but it keeps pumping fuel onto the ground or onto hot engine.

Regulator is needed when you use the wrong fuel pump. Like a Holley med. pressure pump. Not needed for the Datsun electric pump (also shown at that link) or the airtex.

Is recommended to put in a turn on and off switch for the pump right?

It is recommended that you wire it to a "crash" switch, like most new cars have (you know, the "press button in trunk to reset" switch). But most people don't run them. Taking their chances if there is a wreck and line is cut but it keeps pumping fuel onto the ground or onto hot engine.

Okay I understand now! Do you know if that bosch pump is considered cheap? Will it last? Is the airtex better? The bosch one is the low pressure one too? Should I just calla them and ask? haha

its 5 dollars less...so which one should I go for? dont wanna be replacing it every 6 months.

Thanks again!

If Pump made in Germany or japan I say its a OK pump

CHINA???? Dont buy it.

That 720 pump will work and you need a blockoff plate for where the old fuel pump went to on the head.

Persoanlly I would run the stock pump.

I got 40mm Twin carbs and runs fine.

But I guess its the bling factor

I got a eleltric in my yellow car and it dont start no faster(44mm mikinunes and regulator.

On some Datsun 510s there is a aircond sec on the fuse box. There is a spare wire under there to use a s a switchable 12volt supply.

I dont know what you have maybe there is a aircond wire there also. Dont be like others Morons and take it off the ignition to the coil!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

The later 720s have a fuel pump relay that comes on briefly when the key is in the on position and has three other inputs that keep it on. One is the starter and the others are alternator output and oil pressure. There is fuel pump when starting but if no oil pressure the pump stops, likewise if the engine stalls and there is no alternator output it shuts off too.

• 2 weeks later...
Is a 5-9 PSI universal pump too much for a 40 dcoe weber?
YES, too much pressure. If you purchase a pressure regulator to go with it, it will work OK.

Redline, the Weber importer "recommends 2.5 to 3 lbs."

The stock Datsun pump runs well for Webers at a nominal 3.0-3.5 pounds. Just as importantly the stock Datsun pump puts out enough volume for it.

YES, too much pressure. If you purchase a pressure regulator to go with it, it will work OK.

Redline, the Weber importer "recommends 2.5 to 3 lbs."

The stock Datsun pump runs well for Webers at a nominal 3.0-3.5 pounds. Just as importantly the stock Datsun pump puts out enough volume for it.

Well Im gonna start seeing into stock mechanical then, I've drained my bank account nd need to start saving...by the way I just can't see what moves the pump handle in the timing chain area...is the timing chain gear suppose to make it work? I don't have one so can't imagine it yet.