what are the indications that you've broken a rear end?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i broke mine when i was younger by trying to be cool and doing burnouts from the stoplights one to many times lol . the things made a huge crack,explode booming sounds lol and then it wouldnt go and when we towed it ,it was making this huge clunking sound crack crack crack crack the whole way lol . so thats what mine was acting like when mine broke . damn stock 510 rears .

Noise and wont move or makes alot of noise and feels like slipping, or wont move and drivline turns but axles dont

so my 500 mile + drive with the top of the shifter plate seeping some tranny fluid, then the car giving out during an incline and still able to shift into 4th, and made some metal sounding sounds, could that be the rear end as opposed to the tranny?

any progress on the box?

my sister and brother in law need me to fix my cars (my 01 accord is acting up too, but thats a different story..)

he has a ka so it would be a 5 speed sounds more trans related to me then rear end the best way to find out is pull the rear cover its only 10 bolts (2 17's fot the mustashe bar the res are 10's or 12's i wanna say 10's) peak inside and turn the driveline see what it does

If you can't shift your trans then its in there. I'm not getting what you mean does it still move but in fourth only?

I was going up a hill, and the car stumbled, made some metal to metal noise. I put it in 4th, it went into 4th, and then I pulled over on the side of the freeway.

I havent looked at the car since having it towed.

If you can't shift your trans then its in there. I'm not getting what you mean does it still move but in fourth only?

Not enough info and working in the dark here. Get under the car and check the tranny and the rear end oil level.

The stock plug to check the oil level is just to the rear of the 'bell' on the main transmission body about half way up the driver's side. It's a pipe plug with a square head on it. Proper oil level should be about even with the bottom of the hole and/or you should be able to reach in with your little finger tip and touch it. The drain is on the right rear of the bottom of the oil pan. If you remove it to drain and refill, check the magnet on the top of it for metal 'chunks'. Wipe clean before installing.

The plug for checking the oil level for the rear end is on the very back and is the top one of the two. Oil should be level with it, or be able to touch it with your finger. Both plugs or bungs have a square hole that a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar will fit into. The lower drain plug will also have a magnet on it so if it is out, check for metal chips. Wipe clean.

Even if the trans and the rear end are fine this is good preventive maintenance for your car anyway and is not wasted time or money.

Your 510 also has six U joints and three drive shafts, so while under there inspect them carefully. Visually check for broken bearing cups and a loose trunnion. Raise the wheels and leave in neutral so shafts are free to turn and grasp both sides of a U joint and push/pull at right angles. There should be NO movement, looseness or roughness felt except rotating smoothly. If in doubt.... replace it. If possible replace them all so you won't have to do it again when the old ones wear out next year.

Not enough info and working in the dark here. Get under the car and check the tranny and the rear end oil level.

The stock plug to check the oil level is just to the rear of the 'bell' on the main transmission body about half way up the driver's side. It's a pipe plug with a square head on it. Proper oil level should be about even with the bottom of the hole and/or you should be able to reach in with your little finger tip and touch it. The drain is on the right rear of the bottom of the oil pan. If you remove it to drain and refill, check the magnet on the top of it for metal 'chunks'. Wipe clean before installing.

The plug for checking the oil level for the rear end is on the very back and is the top one of the two. Oil should be level with it, or be able to touch it with your finger. Both plugs or bungs have a square hole that a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar will fit into. The lower drain plug will also have a magnet on it so if it is out, check for metal chips. Wipe clean.

Even if the trans and the rear end are fine this is good preventive maintenance for your car anyway and is not wasted time or money.

Your 510 also has six U joints and three drive shafts, so while under there inspect them carefully. Visually check for broken bearing cups and a loose trunnion. Raise the wheels and leave in neutral so shafts are free to turn and grasp both sides of a U joint and push/pull at right angles. There should be NO movement, looseness or roughness felt except rotating smoothly. If in doubt.... replace it. If possible replace them all so you won't have to do it again when the old ones wear out next year.

I plan on doing that...