Fender mirrors

doord521

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Hainz told me they sell the round Datsun style ones at B&B Autoparts in Auburn, for pretty cheap. My guess would be to find a JC Whitney catalog if you're not local, might have 'em there or go check out B&B.

Well, I "almost" have a set. When We were in Japan last year I was given a set of 510 mirrors and the bodyshop that I was taken to by Makato Okamura was working on a chopped Toyota Hilux (SR-5 to Us over here). That truck's stock fender mirrors were being tossed out. Talk about being in the right place at the right time (THOUSANDS of miles away to boot!!). I was given that set also. I have tried comparing them with Japanese photos and I have come to a conclusion....... A "contract" parts manifacturer might have supplied them to various automibile manifacturers. There was a set up a while ago on ebay Singapore. That is where I have purchased a few other items. I go on there, Mexico, Taiwan, Australia and others at least once a week. Maybe You'll find a set there. I have wanted to photograph both of My sets and when I do I'll post them.

I'm going to look into what those B&B mirrors look like.

$70 a pair is cheap.

I found some original mirrors from Nissan a few years ago. They are the round bullet style with long mounts for the Z-car's fenders. simular to this design

JDMMIR2.JPG

They run about $70 each so I paid over $150 (shipping, tax) for them.

Others I have seen for sale on eBay go for twice that much. I'm not sure if Nissan even has any of those mirrors left these days.

Guest DatsuNoob

those are f' in rad mirrors! If I had those, I'd probably never wash my truck and just polish the hell outta those babies so they'd pop against my faded off white paint. Too good for my rig though :D

OK, on what I know so far about fender mirrors............ Both pair that I was given in Japan as well as the set I saw on foreign ebay have a "spring" internal setup with a galvanized/anidozied "clamp'. The holes in the fender are very large, and there is only one per side, about the size of an old silver dollar. The mirror is installed through the top downward and the clamp installed around the spring with a center nut underneath. The clamp presses underneath, if You will, to the fender and the spring allows movement from elboes, low flying birds and car wash brushes, amoung other things. I found both sets today and will photograph them when I can. There might have been vehicles with two screws to mount but all truck sets that I have researched have the "clamp/spring" setup.

The spring mount you speak of is what my Fairlady Z mirrors have. My Fairlady's factory fenders have two holes on each side. I have not yet tried to mount the mirrors though. It looks as though only one hole is needed. Maybe you can choose to mount it further forward or back to your desire and the base covers the other hole.

My Fairlady's factory fenders have two holes on each side. I have not yet tried to mount the mirrors though. It looks as though only one hole is needed. Maybe you can choose to mount it further forward or back to your desire and the base covers the other hole.

There should be a big hole (about 13-14mm) and a small hole (about 6mm). The spring assembly goes through the big hole, the small hole is for a locator pin on the mirror base.