stated value insurance.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try American Classics. They are a few bucks less expensive than Hagerty. Which means cheap, a lot less than regular insurance.

If you have a Classic or show truck: Hagerty's. But you cannot drive it to get groceries, only for "pleasure". Z-cars can apply, but most other Datsuns no. They won't insure my 1971 sedan, it is not a classic to them.

Take lots of pictures keep parts and labor receipts. Keep the pictures up-dated.

yeah. the first thing I'm looking a showing is a copy of all the receipts. especially from this week. I don't want everything disappearing into thin air.

If you have "agreed value" (stated value) insurance, you don't need receipts or anything. They will pay out the stated value if the vehicle is totaled.

I guess if only part of the car is damaged, receipts may be helpful but shouldn't be necessary. They would pay whatever it takes to repair the damaged parts. For example, my friend had his windshield cracked, and they replaced it at the current cost. Which was more than most new car windshields cost :-)

Receipts and such mean nothing........... you and the insurance company will agree on a set value based on the vehicle. There are usually harsh restrictions including an inclosed garage, mileage restrictions, and general use of the vehicle. If the vehicle is damaged or stolen and its proven you have breached the agreement you are not covered. From my experience working with classics and customs the insurance companies will cover in full about 70% of the time in the first 2 years of having the insurance if anything happens. Call your insurance company because usually they have supplimenal policies or seperate insurance companies that can assist you.

Steve

I have Hagerty Stated Value on My 1972 510 they didn't give me any problems about the year or model of the car. I just gave them some pictures and a description of the car and agreed on the value. Costs me $124 a year. But as stated you can only drive it for pleasure;)

I'm not sure about that. My car is licensed with classic plates, so I'm not supposed to drive it all the time anyway. So I went with the Hagerty. there are ups to classic plates ( you never have to pay for license again) but the down is they can ticket you if they find you driving it all the time.

I've had Hagerty for probably 8 years now. Both my 280ZXT and 510 are covered with them. They use "agreed" policy coverage, and this "agreed" value is stated on your policy. My 510 is insured for $10,000, and my 280ZXT is insured for $6000. If you read the policy it also states that they will cover any extra parts you have for the car *in-addition* to the value of the car. So if your car get's totaled, and the agreed value is $4000, plus you have another $2000 worth of parts, you get $6000. This last part should be the only tricky issue. But, even if you get nothing for the parts, the agreed value thing is the best deal out there.

Interesting to read the policy, it also states that your car is not covered in the event of war and, I kid you not, "rocket attacks". Seriously, it says that.

I've had Hagerty for probably 8 years now. Both my 280ZXT and 510 are covered with them. They use "agreed" policy coverage, and this "agreed" value is stated on your policy. My 510 is insured for $10,000, and my 280ZXT is insured for $6000. If you read the policy it also states that they will cover any extra parts you have for the car *in-addition* to the value of the car. So if your car get's totaled, and the agreed value is $4000, plus you have another $2000 worth of parts, you get $6000. This last part should be the only tricky issue. But, even if you get nothing for the parts, the agreed value thing is the best deal out there.

Interesting to read the policy, it also states that your car is not covered in the event of war and, I kid you not, "rocket attacks". Seriously, it says that.

how much does it cost you for 10k coverage a year?

and this allows you to daily drive it? I just added a ton of parts to the car. I have receipts for those parts.

edit:

I just did a mini quote on their site. what will they require? pictures? other things?

Edited by inline4

I can't get stated value insurance or whatever it's called where I live. You just basically have to get your car appraised and they will cover that cost or you can take your chances with your recepts, either way it would be the same price for a $300 510 as for a $20,000 510.

Last year my insurance was $524, prorated since I only drive the car for half the year it was about $300 Canadian (about $240 US). Then about another $30 for storage insurance for the winter. It is 'pleasure' but here all that means is that you can't drive it to work or for work more than twice a month. I could drive it everyday as long as it wasn't to work. That's for full coverage, collision, theft, hail, vandalism, break-ins, etc with $1,000,000 in liability. Most parts and major service service is covered if you have receipts but their value depreciates over time. The storage insurance is basically the same, I just can't drive the car.

Hagerty's is about $200/year for $10,000 value -- full comprehensive & collision. But probably depends on your age, driving record, state, etc. In any case much less expensive than daily driver insurance.

480 for me. I'm 28. no points and the 125 mile tow.

I have my sedan insured for $10k and it runs me $125 a year through AAA. My mileage is restricted, but it's more than I would ever put on that car.

I also have my other cars and my house insured through AAA, and I don't know if they offer it to someone who is not already with them.

My policy states that you can't race, autocross, thump or hop it at events, but you can be in parades and go to club events.

Most companies won't insure you for stated value. Baisically they insure cars that people consider their babies, because they know they are a good risk. Read artical in the Dime Quarterly.