280zx speed sensor

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have one, but aren' those located inside or on the speedometer in a 280ZX with cruise control?

They are. There are two different types for sure. I think the '79 is different than the 80-83's:

The speed sensor on the '79 has a short pigtail and is mounted on the rear of the housing. The '82 speed sensor is mounted where the 0 MPH stop "lever" is at the top of the housing.

The early and late 280z/zx speedo drives are not interchangeable. In fact most FS5W71B tail stocks were changed around 1980. Previous to this year the retaining bolt is on top of the drive cog at 12 o'clock. After '80 they were moved to the 6 o'clock position. The FS5W71C would only fit an '81 and up 280zx drive. Look at this 240sx tranny you can see that the speedo drive, near the 2x4 with white plastic plug, has the retaining bolt hole to the bottom just like the '81-'83 280zx.

240sx:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/FS5W71C94-96240sx002.jpg[/img]"]FS5W71C94-96240sx002.jpg

'81-'83 280zx:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg[/img]"]transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg

haha! what he said! where that plastic plug goes in, theres two bolts next to it to attach the plate to keep it in. the 240sx has an electronic speedo drive sensor, but the 280zx tranny had a mechanical one, so with the length of a 280zx speedo cable i can use my stock dime speedo.

does anybody got one?!? i guess it would be 81 to 83 then...

I think there is only one 10mm bolt holding it in, if yours has two, can you post a picture of the sender? Can you post a picture of it anyway?? :D

You will still need a drive cog with a ratio that will keep your 510 speedometer close to accurate. Any will work but if you are to fast or too slow you could look for one with more or fewer teeth on it to slow or speed up the cable.

Here's the ratios available:

Yellow....... 16 Tooth

Black........ 17 Tooth

Blue......... 18 Tooth

White....... 19 Tooth

Red.......... 20 Tooth

Purple....... 21 Tooth

If you are reading say 60 when you are really going 50 then the speedo cable needs to slow down by about 16.6% to read more accurately. If the speedo drive has a Black 17 tooth cog in it try to find a cog that reduces by 16.6%. 17 X .166 = 2.822 teeth... 17 + 2.822 = 19.822 teeth, the closest is a Red 20 tooth cog. Theoretically you are now within .2 MPH at 100MPH.

I doubt you will be this far out, likely 1 tooth or 5-6%. (2.5-3 MPH at 50MPH) Hardly worth the bother.

Math was not important to me in HS so if someone sees an error in thinking point it out, I wont mind. :D

Edited by datzenmike

I had no idea you were talking about the speedo cog, not the speed sensor. :blink:

I tried buying the entire housing from Nissan, but they are NLA. You can still buy just the cog (they go by the number of teeth, not color). They are easy to replace by removing the roll pin...

I agree with datzenmike, they are held in by one bolt and a small retaining plate (at least on my '82)

Yes, they are color coded but always count teeth to be sure. Take a walk through a yard with a pair of vice grips and a 10mm wrench. The 720 trucks varied between 17 and 20 tooth depending on rear ratio and optional tire size. The S110 (2nd gen 200sx) used 17 and 18 tooth. S12 used 18-21 tooth. Then there are all the automatic possibilities.

Edited by datzenmike
I had no idea you were talking about the speedo cog, not the speed sensor. :blink:

same here. Correct terminology goes a long way. I'm glad someone else made a wild guess and got the thread on the right track. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that manual and auto pinions (cogs) are different PNs. So I wonder if they interchange.

Also that color coding doesn't match different trans series. The 60-series trans and 63-series color coding is different. For example, I'm have here at my desk a brand-new Nissan 17T pinion which is white. But for a pickup (71-series?) white would be 19T.

The 620 (4 and 5 spd) 19 and 20 tooth speedo cog have the same part number as the S12 19 and 20 tooth. So it's likely that most/all F4W71B FS5W71B and C type share the same parts in this regard. Cogs for FS5W63 dogleg are not the same number nor do they match the stock 510 tranny.

I always thought the 3N71B auto cogs would swap with the FS5W71B, but the part numbers for the sleeve assy that holds the cogs does not bear this out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.