KA cooling system question...thermostat related

Duke

So after putting some miles on my new KA swap I have come up with an interesting problem. I have my coolant temp sensor mounted right down next to the thermostat, and I never see temps above 130 when I am moving. Looking at the KA cooling diagram, coolant flows through the thermostat after it has gone through the radiator, as seen here:

KAcoolantBypass.jpg

I have a 180 degree thermostat in at the moment, and I am thinking that because it is after the radiator, it is never opening. Does anybody have any opinion on this? I always thought that the thermostat should be at the coolant exit of the engine, not the entrance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you got thte right idea your just thinking backwards. look at the rear of the thermostat and you will see the part that compreses with heat, that part is what needs to get hot. Im pretty darn sure that its on the upper rad hose with the copper compression thingy in or pointed at the motor (every car i can think of has it like that)(except maybe a saab(like that counts))

check to make sure your temp sender is working right (if its the screw in type with the copper dongle that screws into the sensor opening) just put a lighter to it to see if it moves.

You can always boil your thermostat to test it.

just my nickel and dime hope it helps.

That diagram is ... weird. Usually hot coolant comes directly from the motor past the thermostat to the top rad inlet. Cooled rad water flows out the bottom rad hose to the water pump and back into the block.

Thanks for the suggestions Lozer, I will try that.

Mike, I thought the same thing. I guess they just did it the other way around. I'm going to do some experimenting when I get home in a week and see if I can make it work. If not I might move the thermostat to the upper radiator hose.