1971 Datsun 521 Round II ( the nicer of the two)

jrock4224

Hey jrock4224, i am wondering if you still have your old brownie laying around?. If so are you going to be parting it out?, if so just how bad is the bed actually?. i am looking for the skin on the drivers front of the box and am wondering if you are willing to part with the front half of the skin?. can you send me pics of the bed,if it isnt to bad i may just want the whole thing to use for parts for my truck. is the tailgate skin still intact? or is it rusted out like most all of them i see around?. just let me know what parts you are getting rid of and maybe i can use others from your truck to fix mine up better.

I Hope to hear from you soon.

Terry

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone and yes the brownie will eventually be parted out. the only thing wrong withthe green truck is the floors are rusted almost through, wierd only in the foot wells. the bed is decent ......Im gonna take the filler door but the rest probably wont be used. I will take some pics next time im over there and maybe you could be more specific in what section of the bed. the tail gate is gone already. previous owner removed it and all the grill, bumpers, lights then lost them....thanks dude. anyway i think some of the bed upper secition is going to the truck with the disc brake conversion going on. han's wants to remove the bed hooks on his 521, me i kinda like the way they reach out and grab me once in a while and try to rip my pocket off, while walking by. So I will probably keep mine.

Hey, great lookin trucks. Has the disc swap been pretty easy for you? I have seen so many of them done here...the product looks really nice. I have all new drums/shoes/tie rods/king pins and bushings to install on my 521, but am just wondering for the future. I REALLY like the stock rims though...gonna be tough to let those go with the disc swap.

About the 5speed behind your L16...I would start out with doing a search here first. I got so much good feedback from just reading those. I finally settled on a close ratio 280z trans myself. I guess this conclusion came as a result of which transmissions I could find for very reasonable prices and not so much which one would be less work. My trans is 5inches (give or take a tiny bit) longer than the stock 4 speed or some 5 speed doglegs. It required some mount mods and since the center support bearing was crappin out in mine I had a one piece drive shaft built. This makes for a bit more snappy torque application...

I love it !!!:D

Keep the pics comin man!

ride red are you kiddin I didn't know they made any other kind of bikes, got two trx250r's, one stocker, one stroker 330 built a custom 400 ex for the wife and gonna start a trx450r soon, really toying with the idea of a motard out of a crf450 but everything i checked into its very hard to license in wa for the street. and i cant bring myslef to ride the prebuilt suzuki or yammie. as for the dually yeah caddie front end although im more of a stocker front end kinda guy. I didn't start the project so i dodn't get any say in that i just finished it and got it on the road then sold it back to the guy i bought it from half started. was fun to drive but drove like a bus being so long and just wasn't practical enough. as my wife said how many airride trucks do you need.....she didn't like it when i said "is that a retorical question?" So it went down the road but it was a fun build and learning about re drilling wheels, always use a machine shop.....and a dually is not made for drive throughs. :eek:

thanks the daully is gone, sold it back to previous owner after i finished it. 1/2ton is in a sleeping back tucked away in the garage. this weekend gonna ryand drop the 1600 back in place in the 521 and gonna pull the front hubs off to machine them for gm wheels. hopefully one of tmy two carbs works but it loks questionable. anybody got a lead on a datsun carb guru....got the rebuild kit but i try and only rebuild my quad carbs(much simpler, my A.D.D. dont get as confuzed) last carb i rrebuilt that was for a car never worked the same again.:o anyhow i apreciate everyones kind comments aboutmy truck or other rigs. It started off rocky on here but its coming around. you guys are a great bunch of ratsuners. it was nice to see a few ratsun stickers at olden gardens last weekend. Sorry but i wont be adding a rising sun to any of my hoods. i will represent witha sticker though. what would be real cool is a super retro decal that looks as old as our datsuns. my buddy hasa washington sticker on his window of his 521 that i am so jealous of i will take a pic sunday to show it off. I will also take some pics of brownie to show everyone the parts i will be gettin rid of. thanks jon

well free cause it came on the truck but the old owner had it hanging off the intake saying it had a carb problem. but if he squirted fuel into the carb it would work. i got a 32/36 off my mazda but it had issues with washing down the cylinders. seemed like a needle was stuck or sumtin, plus it never ran the same twice. i think to use it i would have to order the adapter plate and gaskets then re jet it right? I'd buy a new one but my luck withthose carbs are shady at best. I bought four carbs for four trucks and none worked right. i had to buy a fifth to get mine to even run and even then it seemed to have issues even then. i am leary cause weber said it was a weber then said it was a redline then said huh i dunno whzat it is , then said huh i dont know what happened, then said huh we cant help you it must be your truck and i said really all five trucks have an issue that makes your carb work too richly.......so you have to understand my fear in running a weber. i see lots of people have had good luck but i had four and all four trucks ran wierdly. Although im kinda a profectionist so if it ran a little weird it made me unhappy. maybe i should just lighten up......

when in dought buy NEW.

I have had pretty good luck with them Webers (all used)

I seen tall adapters go for 20$ new. Its a simple gasket to make on those.

I dont know why Redline say what they say. They sell Webers

All I know is if its washin out cylinders its a needle valve stuck open or the float is sinking(possible hole) cause the bowl to overflow.

If dont idle. Adjust the mixture screw in/out, ck the idle jet to make sure not plugged up, Or 12volt wire if has a cutoff selinoid.

thats about it.

acccel pump?

Just make sure it squirts in there.

all Webers I just bolted them on and work fine. Even a overjetted 38DGES (Double opener,both open at same time)

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I just went through the racetep.com Weber tuning instructions on my brandy new weber 32/36 on my recently installed low mile L20b. I changed the idle jets up .5mm and upped the main one step as well. The truck runs like a champ. No more off idle stumble. Well worth the effort and time.

+1 Hainz!

Got new pics this weekend will load up at lunch, motor is back, floor pods test fitted.......tranny back in al ready for intake exhaust.

hell ya that frame would save me a lot of fab time....put a 42 cent stamp on that bitch and drop it in the mail for me ........how much you lookin to get for it. thanks jon

check back for the pics......should be by 2.00 pm back to work before i get caught on here.