Rotary in a 510

The first thing to do is figure out the 13b you want. The 1984/85 gsl-se motor has a front cover mount like the engines pictured above. The later models do not. If you want a later model 13b or turbo you can swap front covers with a gsl-se front cover. This will enable the front engine mount.

After you have decided what motor, you need to decide how far back you want it to sit. This will dictate how much firewall/trans tunnel modification you will need to do. The further back the more modification. Also, the further back you go you will have to relocate the oil filter, as it will be covered by the firewall/tunnel (A gsl-se oil cooler is a nice feature too, it is front mounted and east to relocate in the 510).

With a rotary motor, the exhaust runs down the passenger side, and rotary exhaust it HOT (hotter than most). This means that you are better off either re-routing your brake and fuel lines, or shielding the crap out of them.

You will also need to:

Mate the rx7 front spline of the driveshaft to the back of the 510 drive shaft.

Mount the 2 coils for the rotary (yes there are 2 1 leading and 1 trailing).

wire the ignition/charging/fuel injection(if used).

Its a lot of work, and NOTHING fits, not even manufactured parts. There are always clearance issues, and there is always modification to be done. I warn you be good at sheet metal work and welding, or be prepared to pay someone to do it.

Here are some pics, I will see if I can find more of the firewall/trans tunnel mods. Let me know if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them. Your best bet might to be to private message or email me.

josh@frictionstudio.com

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone done a swap out of a turbo II rx7? I was thinking about a rotary or a ca18det. After researching the rotary engines i would like to go that way.

How do the motors out of 86-92 mount, i would most likely do a fmic and eliminate the on top of the motor inter cooler.

I drove a rx8 a while back and really like the way the power was very smooth.

Can you post some video of your car running.

whitet2fc7.jpg

The rotary is an easy swap (easy is a relative term!!), as far as engine models go dimensionally they are all the same, the 13B is about 3/4 of an inch Longer than the 12A. you will want to get a front cover off of an engine prior to 1985 (they have the front mounts, ALA the first simple mount pictures) also be carefull with your exhaust routing, the one picture shown has the headers running right past the steering. Rotarys will heat the exhaust to near white hot 12-18 inches down the primary tubes at sustained high RPM so keep that in mind during your buildup.

you MAY have to notch the front crossmember, as the crank on a rotary sits in the middle of the engine, not at the bottom like most piston motors, so the engine overall will have to sit lower in the chassis. Ive never done this particular swap so I dont have exact details, just general info, but ive seen it done a number of times so I know its very do-able.

There is a HUGE variation in intake setups, so determine what you want to do then equip accordingly. The 4 BBL makes good power, but does not like to turn hard, like at autocrosses. The side draft/downdraft weber/dellorto is done in several flavors, generally speaking the longer the runners the more torque it makes, and less top HP. The weber/Dellorto make good power and are very driveable, the holley is driveable and also makes good power except for the float bowl issues in the turns, neither get very good milage however...

I would absolutely go with the 13B as the seat of the pants power is very profound, although the 12 A will twist higher, a good 12 a will pull 11-12k easy. On a 13B most wont pull more than 10 k (hence the rep for blown seals). Also you will want to plan on fitting a larger radiator, the one thing that will killl a rotary faster than anything is getting hot

On the turbo motors most failures are due to too much boost, and/or too much ignition advance, detonation will break a stock apex seal in a heartbeat.

Edited by csp54
  • 2 months later...
Can anyone help me find some pics of a 13b installed in a 510? I cant seem to find any on google or random forums... :(.... Long and tedious search,lol...

do u still need help with your rotary swap if you do hit me up i just did mines and it was very easy

The pics of that Datsun rotary look very similar to a Mazda engine. I wonder if they didn't just take a Mazda motor,and fit it into their chassis? I imagine there aren't too many ways to make a rotary engine,but gosh that thing looks like a straight take out from a early Mazda car right down to the top mount starter,and everything.

• 1 month later...

I considered and almost did a rotary swap on my 510. Easy to find engines and parts, easy to hop up by just porting out the exhaust and running the biggest pipes you can and you can run carbed, Turbo, FI and FI Turbo. And with only 7 moving parts in the whole thing, even a Cave Man can do it!

But, they do get really hot, too loud, you better know your shit when assembling one, no torque, crappy gas mileage, weird ignition and when they do let go, it is usually pretty specatacular!

I just decided to go VG and that is the plan.

But, I would re-consider it if I could score one of the last RX-7 Turbo models. Get rid of both turbos and run one big one! Lots of power!

Does anyone remember a Yellow one that ran out of L.A. with a fuel injected turbo 13b? The guy did a lot of street racing and the last I heard about the guy, someone he pissed off torched the car in his garage! Or so I heard.

• 3 months later...

thread revived! my engine swap is complete. im keeping the revs low for a while, to break everything in, and tune the carb....but i can already tell that the 13b is going to be very nice for a dailydriver/ canyon cruiser. i have a dellorto 48 side draft, but getting another 39 venturi is keeping me from hitting full power (currently have 41's from a bridgeported engine). i have the exhaust tins from a 79 cosmos, and they have been streetported. go 13b turbo II if you want a nice reliable turbo setup with a great transmission. the tranny from the turbo II is the way to go. apparently my stock rx7 trany synchros suck, it takes about a second for them to line up usually.

otherwise, im very happy!

ALSO: very important! get a plastic air cowl for your radiator! the more air moving through the fans, the cooler your engine will be! i run between 170-180f.

skibber me timbers! he's right! heres some pics.

Start with prepped engine bay! Some rotary dudes bolt the engine straight to the frame, others (canadian) use Vulcanized rubber (hockey pucks) to isolate vibrations. I went hockey puck route.

web.jpg?ver=12610158860001

Then get yourn self a 13b!

web.jpg?ver=12610159540001

Then put it in!

web.jpg?ver=12610158110001

Then add a cowl to the radiator!

web.jpg?ver=12610155740001

Then do burnouts!