Rotary in a 510

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do i convert the 71 510 i have to a rotary? What kinda fab am i looking at? Does anyone have any pictures they can show me or links to direct me too to show how the crossmember will be. What mods will need to be done..

Thanks!

Not sure what it would take. Where I would start is the frame. Do some measuring. Its'nt a rotary smaller over all size wise. If so then I would pull the motor out stick in the rotary and figure it out from there. Should not be to hard. I do understand why you want to go this direction, I love me some rotary motors.

Not sure what it would take. Where I would start is the frame. Do some measuring. Its'nt a rotary smaller over all size wise. If so then I would pull the motor out stick in the rotary and figure it out from there. Should not be to hard. I do understand why you want to go this direction, I love me some rotary motors.

Yeah me too, i figured on doing the mock ups this way, but i was interested in what others have done for mounting brackets and cooling systems... I love the rotarys, i have owned 17 rx7s including the one i have right now...

Here's the Nissan Rotary from 1972 Nissan brochure. Notice the Datsun 1200/1400 on the dyno.

383.jpg

I haven't yet found a photo of this in a Silvia. But there is a Road Test in a magazine about the Nissan rotary Datsun 1200, the journalists got to drive it on a race track. It was faaasst. Sadly, during the 1974 oil crisis nobody wanted a small car with 150HP, so plans were scrapped. Even Mazda had trouble there for a few years. Times change.

Joemaddox, kudos to you for continuing to champion the Nissan Rotary experience!

Edited by ggzilla
Here's the Nissan Rotary from 1972 Nissan brochure. Notice the Datsun 1200/1400 on the dyno.

383.jpg

I haven't yet found a photo of this in a Silvia. But there is a Road Test in a magazine about the Nissan rotary Datsun 1200, the journalists got to drive it on a race track. It was faaasst. Sadly, during the 1974 oil crisis nobody wanted a small car with 150HP, so plans were scrapped. Even Mazda had trouble there for a few years. Times change.

Joemaddox, kudos to you for continuing to champion the Nissan Rotary experience!

Well i learn something new every day! Sweet. Well i cant wait to drop a rotary in oil crisis or not,lol.... Thanks

Guest jaimesix

Isnt that cool?

Imagine the rotary engine by Mazda with competition from Nissan!

Hopes Nissan resurects its rotary plans. If Nissan could build just one model vehicle, it would compete with Mazda and take a large chunk out of Mazda's sales and monopoly on rotary stuff, which is big.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Put the Rotary in your car , the Swap will be simple, it will be very easy, make a motor plate, or get a crossmember from the junkyard, make a trani crossmember or use plates to bolt the crossmember up there, you can take a Rx7 motor and trani, bolt on a header, cut the vacume spring in the carb in half and get ready for awesome burnouts,shifting at 8,000 RPM and alot of fun days without worrying about pistons and cams, if you miss shift .

Back in the early Mazda Rotary cars, The ones I saw at hill climbs they were crazy man. These guys would run HUGE 4 barrel Hollys and start the engine then twist the dist., advance the shit out of it. They would then have a idle speed of around three grand sitting at the base of the mountain road waiting to launch. They were some haul ass cars (this was before the rx7) with a ear peircing megaphone exaust dumping out the front fender. They would spin them early engines over ten grand:D

back in 74 my dad bought one of the rotary trucks, it was wicked fast from the factory, in 79 he pulled the stock distributor and installed a magneto system from mazda in it. that thing would turn over 14,000 rpm and litterally melt the back tires off of it if you wanted to. the only bad thing about the mag system is it is a pain to keep timed properly, as the motor made higher rpm's the timing went way out, causing it to detonate and most of the times it would blow the end seals off of the rotors on anything above 10,000rpm. i would imagine that this problem has been resolved since those prehistoric times, but back then when he finaly did lunchbox the motor, we took a 1965 buick v-6 motor and coupled it with a vega saginaw trans and stuffed it into this little truck, that was in 1981 and it lasted him until the frame finally rusted out in 2002 and he junked it out. BRAVO to you for wanting this kind of motor, hope all goes well, make sure you take plenty of pics and video of this swap,:D:D:D

Put the Rotary in your car , the Swap will be simple, it will be very easy, make a motor plate, or get a crossmember from the junkyard, make a trani crossmember or use plates to bolt the crossmember up there, you can take a Rx7 motor and trani, bolt on a header, cut the vacume spring in the carb in half and get ready for awesome burnouts,shifting at 8,000 RPM and alot of fun days without worrying about pistons and cams, if you miss shift .

I am starting to notice this, i bought a core to do moch ups, and its looking like what was pictured is about how easy it will be!!

• 2 weeks later...