RL411 cast aluminum oil pan

MikeRL411

The early 4 main bearing type R engine is advertized as an all SAE fastener engine. The modified version used in the export RL411 SSS has a finned cast aluminum oil pan, not a pressed steel pan like the roadster. The oil drain plug really does have an SAE thread but lots of luck if you manage to remove the helicoil insert along with the drain plug [it can be done, I did it]. The bolt is an SAE "9 sixteenth SAE Semi Finished" thread. Go find that in any reference! The nearest thing that remotely resembles it would be a straight untapered National Pipe Thread. No helicoil is made in anything remotely resembling that!The solution is to go buy a Toyota 18 milimeter drain plug, buy a Ford 18 milimeter aluminum head sparkplug repair insert kit, drill out the cast aluminum oil pan, tap with the tap that comes with the repair kit, use the epoxy sealer from the kit and insert the repair fitting. 18 mm toyota oil plug washers are readily available to complete the long life potential. Important to use a Ford 18 mm kit! Ford 18 mm spark plugs have a flat face where they meet the head, all other 18 mm sparkplugs use a tapered seat! Tapered seats and oil drain plugs do not go together.

Edited by MikeRL411
added info
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought my car, was looking it over and saw that pan it made think Alpha Romeo. Then, man they spent the money back then buliding this little car. With a smile on my face :)

The RL411 series was primarily designed for "Production Sedan Road Racing" series. The oil pan fills the space between the front cross member and the transmission and is located for additional air slipstream cooling of the oil in the enlarged sump. Most sold were used for racing, all parts used to convert from "civilian" homologation models to full race models were available over the counter.

• 3 years later...

All this Alfa talk has confused me. Are we saying the SSS oil pan was made by or for an Alfa Romeo?

It does look like it belongs on one, Its beautiful as far as oil pans go!

No. The 411 sedan has a smaller engine compartment compared to the roadster, so additional cooling for long distance driving [like Production Sedan Road Racing] dictated some additional oil cooling. Alfa probably had the same idea.